Chris Williams: Telling news from SR bowl????
In an attempt to perhaps over dramatize rather ordinary occurances in a futile search for truth, justice, and the Panther way, I came across a write-up in Scout.com that discusses the teams interested in Chris Williams at the Senior Bowl. It claimed that the follwoing teams showed interest in him:
The absence of the Panthers is curious. Here are some possible explanations. Please attack:
1. The Panthers like him, but did not want to show interest for fear of revealing their intention. Big secret with 2 OTs going free agent. OK, then maybe thew were worried that interest would hurt negotiations. Nah.
2. At that time, Williams wasn't projected top 20. But would we not show interest for second round? And what about Chicago?
3. Perhaps the most telling: Other teams that run the ZBS (Denver, Houston) that also need tackle help were not mentioned. Maybe they don't see him as a good fit in that scheme.
4. The Panthers are planning on moving gross to LT and will draft a RT in the second.
5. The Panthers are afraid of his short arms. Sounds crazy, but it is being said. I liked Utalkin's response to that issue, however. The measure of an OT is in the feet and legs (getting low, leverage, lateral movement) much more than the hands and arms.
6. The most probable: They are interested. Just because a writer didn't see the interest doesn't mean its not there.