Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "lack of support/respect" for Geno

The "lack of support/respect" for Geno

We keep hearing this narrative repeated over and over (which should raise skepticism to begin with) and so far we have a refusal to absolve Geno by Revis and Bowles (who would, completely?), the infamous 'unnamed source' saying he "deserved it", and Brandon Marshall stating he "did nothing wrong", and did "everything the right way".

What if immediately after the incident Bowles and McCags sat the team down and gave a Belicheckian/Parcelsian edict to zip it? What if this new policy has been a part of the new teaching of Bowles from the get-go? What if the assumed motive of the relative silence is not lack of respect and support, but the team following the orders of a new regime trying to avoid the soap opera tabloid exploits of the past?

Think this is far-fetched? Why did Marshall wait a week to emphatically state Geno did nothing wrong, and only when pressed after repeatedly saying "we're moving on", "we need to move on" (sound familiar?). He sounded coached.

Don't forget, Todd Bowles is a Tuna disciple, as is Belichick. There is an m.o. to their madness.

So the NY tabloids have had a field day with this, starting with woManish, baiting and insinuating (and I continue to contend FABRICATING). The fans who are upset with losing the starting QB and those who did not care for him to begin with band together and form the Geno is public enemy #1 mob.

No, of course it wouldn't be that simple.
    Last edited by ibleedgreen; 08-19-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ibleedgreen View Post
    We keep hearing this narrative repeated over and over (which should raise skepticism to begin with) and so far we have a refusal to absolve Geno by Revis and Bowles (who would, completely?), the infamous 'unnamed source' saying he "deserved it", and Brandon Marshall stating he "did nothing wrong", and did "everything the right way".

What if immediately after the incident Bowles and McCags sat the team down and gave a Belicheckian/Parcelsian edict to zip it? What if this new policy has been a part of the new teaching of Bowles from the get-go? What if the assumed motive of the relative silence is not lack of respect and support, but the team following the orders of a new regime trying to avoid the soap opera tabloid exploits of the past?

Think this is far-fetched? Why did Marshall wait a week to emphatically state Geno did nothing wrong, and only when pressed after repeatedly saying "we're moving on", "we need to move on" (sound familiar?). He sounded coached.

Don't forget, Todd Bowles is a Tuna disciple, as is Belichick. There is an m.o. to their madness.

So the NY tabloids have had a field day with this, starting with woManish, baiting and insinuating (and I continue to contend FABRICATING). The fans who are upset with losing the starting QB and those who did not care for him to begin with band together and form the Geno is public enemy #1 mob.

No, of course it wouldn't be that simple.
    I think there is definitely some merit in that line of thinking. No doubt. BUT...you still have BOTH Bowles and Revis not only not absolving Geno but BLAMING him partially for the incident. What that tells me is that players who saw it told Bowles what happened and that included Geno playing a role in this by talking smack and instigating IK. AGAIN, IK has NO business punching Geno. But when you take some of Genos actions over the past year or so (texting his junk, cursing fans, missing meetings, etc) when you toss in this incident and the the "shirtless theowing act", Im sorry IBG but it raises red flags to me about his maturity, leadership skills, character and overall attitude. Bowles even called him out a second time after seeing the photos. I mean even Pope is not defending Geno for this stuff...he simply thinks Geno is the better player and wants to see him play. You seem to be the ONLY person (aside from Brandon Marshall) who keeps defending Geno the PERSON and saying this is all somehow made up by the media. Its no different then Sanchez. We saw a pattern of behavior (not even as extreme as Geno's) that showed a severe lack of maturity and leadership. So when Sanchez's game fell off the table...it was time for us to move on. Well, Geno hasn't accomplished even half of what Sanchez did ON the field and his issues OFF the field have been more egregious.

So you can keep harping on THIS incident all you like. YOu can call it a media fabrication/conspiracy. You can make as many excuses as you like for Geno. You can call anyone who disagrees a "hater" if you want to go down that childish road. Fact is, for me at least, this is a cumulative assessment made over two plus years now of watching this guy on the field and also off. And to be frank, I simply don't think he is capable of being a FQB. And whatever thoughts I had that he MIGHT be went out the window after this incident because common sense tells me that he was acting like an asshole and pissed of the wrong guy.

Does the NY media love to stoke the fire on this shit? Of course they do...especially when its the Jets. But Sometimes its not "piling on" or "mob mentality"...sometimes its just the truth. The kid has shown VERY questionable judgment and a severe lack of maturity and character on several occasions and to add insult to injury simply has not played very well. For me that's NOT a present or future FQB.
    Last edited by MSGold12; 08-19-2015 at 12:19 PM.

See, they've been telling you what to think and blowing things out of proportion from day one, that's why this fits so neatly in your mind. They are the masters of being puppet masters.

I'm not defending Geno, just stating the obvious--that IK is a raging psycho and I cannot understand why he's being lionized by some unsaid machismo m.o. based largely on hearsay and innuendo transparently designed to connect the dots, other than the exploitation of preexisting/subconscious ill will towards Geno based largely on how those incidents have been reported and beaten into the ground which goes all the way back to the bogus draft reports. I have no allegiance to this guy beyond wanting to see him get a fair shake on the field and not solely blamed for some animal attacking him over $600. He's an EASY TARGET, but not many seem to grasp this. Hell, tossing a football "shirtless" is deemed a freaking federal offense for this guy. Give me break!

I want to see the best player on the field who seems to fit Gailey's system perfectly and not dismiss him over silly stuff like this. But hey, it's a free country, so by all means continue piling on and uniting as a mob directed by the diehard haters (who know who they are, not you) and woManish, et al.
    Last edited by ibleedgreen; 08-19-2015 at 12:50 PM.

See, they've been telling you what to think and blowing things out of proportion from day one, that's why this fits so neatly in your mind. They are the masters of being puppet masters.

I'm not defending Geno, just stating the obvious--that IK is a raging psycho and I cannot understand why he's being lionized by some unsaid machismo m.o. based largely on hearsay and innuendo transparently designed to connect the dots, other than the exploitation of preexisting/subconscious ill will towards Geno based largely on how those incidents have been reported and beaten into the ground which goes all the way back to the bogus draft reports. I have no allegiance to this guy beyond wanting to see him get a fair shake on the field and not solely blamed for some animal attacking him over $600. He's an EASY TARGET, but not many seem to grasp this. Hell, tossing a football "shirtless" is deemed a freaking federal offense for this guy. Give me break!

I want to see the best player on the field who seems to fit Gailey's system perfectly and not dismiss him over silly stuff like this. But hey, it's a free country, so by all means continue piling on and uniting as a mob directed by the diehard haters (who know who they are, not you) and woManish, et al.
    OK...now you're pissing me off. PLease give me enough credit as an inteligent human being who has dealt with the NY media for a very long time to be able to have a mind of my own. What fits in my mind is what I see and the conclusions I make...not wht some hack writers tells me to think. So insinuating that frankly is insulting. I have SEEN what Geno has done on and off the field for 2+ years now. I can SEE beyond the media BS. For example...

Why did a QB making millions and supposedly the team leader, insist that his lower level teammate PAY for his airfare and car service to help him out at his football camp for kids...especially when its a measly $600?
    Why was he throwing a football on his front lawn, a day after surgery (and presumably against medical orders) shirtless and in full eye black and then, when they inevitably arrived, telling reporters to leave or he'll call the cops?

See these are the things that go thought MY head about his mental makeup...not fed to me by reporters. I persionally had serious doubts this kid was the goods and the IK incident put a final stamp on it for many reasons...reasons that I actually thought up all by myself.

That was NOT your finest post IBG...very Bit like in its over the top insinuations and concluisions. And as I said...uneccesarily insulting.
    Last edited by MSGold12; 08-19-2015 at 03:32 PM.

OMG IBG. seriously. How is it that you "know" IK is a raging psycho and also "know" Geno is just the innocent victim of media circus building. You have all this behind the scenes FO manipulating going on over a stupid incident. Stop already. Bowles spoke IMMEDIATELY and blamed both parties for being "6th graders" Done deal. The ultimate outcome of this is extremely, massively unfortunate for the Jets. But had the punch just given Geno a black eye or a bloody lip we'd be saying the EXACT same things about Geno. Being childish, displaying POOR LEADERSHIP qualities, AGAIN. Just more red flags. You are the one spinning this "Geno hatred" off this event. Dude, there was Geno hatred flowing long before this dumb little stupid incident that is only bigger than dumb and little because the punch landed in a bad spot. Otherwise it's just another ho hum locker room skirmish in which an "actual punch was thrown" Ooooo, wow. big deal. But it landed, and in a real ultra unfortunate spot. But had this never happened you'd still have the same guys telling us Geno sucks and we are doomed until the day we bench him. What's the big deal??? This is standard NFL fan operating procedure when you're QB has been on the bottom of the league rankings for his first, and only 2 years in the league. So of course some guys, who already felt we were doomed w/ Geno are going to look at this as a fortunate misshap.

IBG, GET OVER IT ALREADY.

Bowles spoke immediately and told the world that what happened was STUPID. And you just want to spin and slant and conspiracy monger for some reason I can't even contemplate and ignore the simple fact, the fact that BOWLES TOLD YOU, that Geno was being a dumb little 6th grader. And to look at that at and NOT think it's just another red flag for a guy who you need to be a leader of MEN, is just ridiculous on your part. he did something childish and stupid, BOWLES told us so. If he told the team to not talk about it, how does that change what Bowles already told us!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Use your noggin dude, I know you have one. Geno is a childish brat a lot of the time. maybe it won't hold him back from rising to FQB, but is sure as sh!t ain't gonna HELP him get there.
    Last edited by JWilly; 08-19-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JWilly View Post
    OMG IBG. seriously. How is it that you "know" IK is a raging psycho and also "know" Geno is just the innocent victim of media circus building. You have all this behind the scenes FO manipulating going on over a stupid incident. Stop already. Bowles spoke IMMEDIATELY and blamed both parties for being "6th graders" Done deal. The ultimate outcome of this is extremely, massively unfortunate for the Jets. But had the punch just given Geno a black eye or a bloody lip we'd be saying the EXACT same things about Geno. Being childish, displaying POOR LEADERSHIP qualities, AGAIN. Just more red flags. You are the one spinning this "Geno hatred" off this event. Dude, there was Geno hatred flowing long before this dumb little stupid incident that is only bigger than dumb and little because the punch landed in a bad spot. Otherwise it's just another ho hum locker room skirmish in which an "actual punch was thrown" Ooooo, wow. big deal. But it landed, and in a real ultra unfortunate spot. But had this never happened you'd still have the same guys telling us Geno sucks and we are doomed until the day we bench him. What's the big deal??? This is standard NFL fan operating procedure when you're QB has been on the bottom of the league rankings for his first, and only 2 years in the league. So of course some guys, who already felt we were doomed w/ Geno are going to look at this as a fortunate misshap.

IBG, GET OVER IT ALREADY.

Bowles spoke immediately and told the world that what happened was STUPID. And you just want to spin and slant and conspiracy monger for some reason I can't even contemplate and ignore the simple fact, the fact that BOWLES TOLD YOU, that Geno was being a dumb little 6th grader. And to look at that at and NOT think it's just another red flag for a guy who you need to be a leader of MEN, is just ridiculous on your part. he did something childish and stupid, BOWLES told us so. If he told the team to not talk about it, how does that change what Bowles already told us!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Use your noggin dude, I know you have one. Geno is a childish brat a lot of the time. maybe it won't hold him back from rising to FQB, but is sure as sh!t ain't gonna HELP him get there.
    Let me be VERY clear about my position. I do not see this as a "fortunate mishap". I went into this TC (just as I did last TC) with the hope that Geno would play so we could see once and for all if he was the real deal. But what this incident did do is essentially convince me that this kid just doesn't have the mental maturity to ever be a team leader and FQB. His stats migt have improved this year but I don't see him as having "it"...just as eventually you and I both realized Sanchez didn't have "it" either. Only in this case the determination came more quickly for me...and the IK incident, no matter whose fault, was the last straw fior many reasons.

I also think that Fitz is a better option then Vick (cue Popes meltdown...now). Vick was 34 year old running QB who was never a great passer. Fitz is a 32 year old pocket passer who has had prior success in this O. I think we can go to the playoffs and get this team back on track with Fitz at QB this year who can then turn the reigns over to (hopefully) Petty or some other draft pick. I am NOT happy that it has come to this with Geno. I DID hope he would take the gift McCGas and Bowles handed him this year and run with it...instead he got himself involved in this situation and it cost him the rest of his TC reps and conditioning, all of the pre season games to get acclimated, and at least the first 4 games. And we expect him to come back in October and take "the leap"??? Not seeing that happening. His judgment as well as his on the field play to this point leads me to the conclusion that hes not the guy.

Team Owner
    Geno gets criticism for things that he should be criticized for. However I will agree that it is almost always blown way out of proportion. His missing a team meeting is not great, but it happens. His sending of his dick pick is unfortunate, but common. Him getting into a fight in camp with another player is not good, but we really don't know anything about the fight or what led up to it. What we can see is that Geno is still immature, yet was improving.

That said, he gets zero rope from the fans and media for 2 reasons. He's a Jet and he's not-performing to their unrealistic standards for a 3rd year QB. I know some "experts" believe that after 30 games you know everything you need to know and players don't develop from there. Of course that is idiotic. Tannenhill improved greatly after 2 bad seasons, Eli finally got good by end of year 4, Big Ben was a developing player his first 2 years and showed flashes all along but also made stupid mistakes all along the way. If you are not going to live with growing pains, you shouldn't start rookies. Tannenhill leaves his assault rifles in rental cars and Big Ben rapes chicks in bathrooms. But their "problems" don't get put under the microscope by the media nearly as much. If one of our guys did that forget about it. I mean Big Ben is a serial rapist and is still loved and revered by the fans and media. Seriously. That's totally fucked up.

Then there's that other thing. He doesn't fit the approved mold of a franchise QB. We want the 6'5" natural born leader with the nice hair, square jaw and charming smile who only lives to read playbooks, practice, go over tape and show up at charity events to kiss babies and sign autographs for all fans. What we got was the skinny legged black kid who was disappointed in the draft and then they stuck a camera in his face and then got that moment attached to him for eternity from the asshole media. He is now branded too stupid, too immature, too selfish, too arrogant and basically fucked as far as perceptions go. He should have known how to manage himself out of the PR problems but he ignored them and kept tripping on his own dick along the way. Most of it is his own damn fault. But any objective person will agree that the leash is way shorter for black QBs who don't have that "Cam Newton" build and star personality. Fans/media don't relate to him and won't give the benefit of the doubt for relatively minor transgressions as a result. That's just how it works. But our mismanagement of Geno from day 1 after the draft is just further proof at how inept our teams PR and executive level truly is. Bunch of tone deaf clueless jackasses who don't know how to market their own players, sidestep potential publicity issues to their players or brand and have no idea how to utilize media or a massive market like this one properly, but I digress. Many other players got longer to develop despite having all the same problems as Geno. But once you get branded, that's the narrative and that's what you will be referred to forever. NFL Players are ALL assholes on some level, we know that. They are a group of borderline criminals who are completely entitled and have too much money and drugs and whores at their disposal and they will find brand new ways to prove how stupid they are every day if left to themselves. Yet our guys are the ones always on the loop on ESPN and it is because there is no accountability from the top of the organization and the inmates (coaches included) run the asylum here.

I don't care about Geno the person. I only care about Geno the potential QB who can elevate us. Our only scenario with a possibly good outcome is for Geno to develop this year and provide adequate level QB play for the next couple of years at least. So we can develop a successor properly and without having to go through the same bullshit with another QB next season only to rip him apart for not being elite and starting over and continuing the cycle of ineptitude that has become the standard operating procedure here.
    Last edited by NFLs StepChild; 08-19-2015 at 02:30 PM.
    J-E-T-S! It's not exactly a passion, it's generally more of a sickness.

FACT: The New York Jets will never win a Super Bowl with Woody Johnson as the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLs StepChild View Post
    Tannenhill improved greatly after 2 bad seasons, Eli finally got good by end of year 4, Big Ben was a developing player his first 2 years and showed flashes all along but also made stupid mistakes all along the way.

Those guys were first round picks. Eli was a 1 overall pick and the son of a Pro Bowl, brother of an All Pro/HOF.

Geno is a second round pick like Kellen Clemens (and a hundred other losers). Most (nearly all) 2nd round QBs end up stinking. Any QB with potential goes rd 1. Even Tebow went rd 1. There are exceptions like Russell Wilson and Tom Brady but those are literally once in a decade lightning strikes.

Jets fans like to pretend that Geno is a first round pick they got at second round prices. The real story he's a player that the entire league passed on at least once and even the Jets passed him up twice that year. He's doesn't have the pedigree that warrants all these second/third/fourth chances. He should have to earn this job, instead of it being given to him every single year.

Team Owner
    Your idiocy never stops. Where a guy gets drafted is inconsequential once they get into the league. Plenty of teams draft poorly and take 1st round QBs who suck. Others take good players in later rounds who pan out. Your draft defense is fluid and subjective and not the absolute you want it to be. And this from the same guy crying about fair competition in camp yet now use absurd ideas like pedigree (despite the NFLs countless legacy players who have been total failures) and draft selection as defenses against a guy YOU DON'T LIKE. So is it now that the best players play, unless they have a pedigree or the team burned a 1st rounder on them? I'm not pretending anything about Geno. You want to use pointless labels, fine. He's a 1st round talent, with a 2nd round grade due to maturity issues. Feel better? What does that mean now? Nothing. he's the best shot we have at success. He's not given the job, he's clearly better than Fitz and Petty. Pathetic low bar, but it's where we are at. And besides people being given the job because they have a higher ceiling is how it all works. Your little draft boner aside, players develop at different rates and if we selected Nassib or whoever you "liked" in the draft you'd be screaming that deciding the fate of a player entering his crucial 3rd year before he can play is asinine. Because it is.
    J-E-T-S! It's not exactly a passion, it's generally more of a sickness.

FACT: The New York Jets will never win a Super Bowl with Woody Johnson as the owner.

Step you make a fair point I don't believe in giving players the job based on pedigree or upside. I do believe in giving players the job based on results, in the latest training camp. I understand why a team would make an exception for an Eli or an Andrew Luck. I don't agree with it but I understand.

Even granting that is how the league works, I don't think it's fair to throw Geno in with those types of players. He's too flawed and the league recognized those flaws when he didn't go rd 1. It's the same flaws today as it was 3 years ago.

as for Geno's second rd grade due to maturity issues, it's his 3rd season he's started 30 NFL games at what point does he grow up? Bowles and Revis said there was blame on both sides of the IK dispute. And then Geno goes and disobeys doctors orders in his recovery. He's not getting more mature. If he is it's at a slow rate. We aren't talking about a rookie. He's supposed to be a veteran now.