Thread: A real coach

A real coach

While sweltering in the Georgia heat I had time to view a segment put together by nfl films about the upcoming season and the addition of the new coach. What I saw for the first time in a very long time was the head coach actually coaching and teaching techniques, not just holding a clip board and cheerleading as Smith did the last 3 years. I also saw the players adopting his attitude which is positive and aggressive.

Aggressive being the main factor IMO, it seems as if he will have a hands on approach when it comes to the defense, and with his input they have picked up 2 LB and a DE. It was made out as if these assistants were hired with Quinn's knowledge, however they were already in place upon his hiring.

I would interested to know if there was talks going on while he planned for the SB with the Seahawks. There was also a comparison of sorts as to levels of input and decision making. While it was stated Blank and McKay work together as does Dimitrof and Quinn.

I think we should have as good a chance to win our division as we ever had.
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Head Coach Material
    I've said before, at least half the teams in the NFL can win a SB every and any given season or at least appear in one. How do the same teams keep winning their divisions or appearing in playoffs? Alls I can thinks of is coaching being the difference.

Might've been against rules to talk to Quinn before the SB, I dunno. I do know the Falcons interviewed Rex Ryan before then, was gonna interview him again later and it was cancelled due to a death in the Smith flamily. Then they chose Quinn cause by then Ryan was hired by Buffalo. Imagine Rex Ryan coaching the Falcons. Might've been Jerrah Glanville all over again.

Mazimum nine wins which might win the division. But 7-9 seems about right until all those young guys and older free agents perform to prove different.

Hi gentlemen,
    I would speculate that a coordinator-turned-head coach probably does more "hands on" than a veteran coach might. I had no idea that you all didn't like Smith, but I see why you wouldn't. I thought it was a strange hire.
    I think you guys have a good coach, unfortunately. I think he will make his mistakes, a la Rivera, but in due time, he has promise.
    Nolledge is Pouer.

Head Coach Material
    Good to see ya cat!

Smith was hired after the Vick/Petrino ordeal to restore lots of things. He almost got to the big game and is the winningest Falcons HC ever. At first Smith had lots to do with the defense but as years went by he became an administrator giving the O and D-coordinators full power to call plays and formations. Funny that because the Falcons went through 5 coordinators in 7 years meaning if anything wasn't going well Smith could never be blamed. To the players Smith became boring with his routine like when he spoke to the team before and after the game. That was from a couple players after Smith was fired.

So I liked Smith fine, he chose a coaching way that has won SBs but he became a Tom Landry or a John Fox type HC who decides when to go on a 4th down, throws the red flag but depends solely on assistants to implement things, even coaching hands on.

Thanks for posting, reminds me to check out the Lair and see what the Panthers are up to.;)

It's not so much that I disliked him, towards the end it was almost a repeat of Reeves, almost as if the game passed them by, I noticed it in Smiths last winning season, IMO he thought things were good, he may have relied too much on the vets to do his teaching or coaching. IMO they should have fired the top D man and Smith taken over the D.

That alone may have given him another year, I think Smith and Dimitrof failed in player selection to fit their scheme.
    Last edited by Jett; 08-02-2015 at 12:27 PM.
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.