Thread: 3 weeks, counting

Head Coach Material

3 weeks, counting

Three weeks before training camp and seeing the excitement shown on comments and posts, it's clear fans are ready for football.

There's been three football talk sites predict the Falcons win the NFC South which is nice but after all this is a rookie head coach in Atlanta. So it's not just offense and defense that wins but also the small games like special teams plays determining field position and protection of the football as well as causing as many turnovers possible. It's pretty obvious coaching up special teams can win or lose games. Coaching too is required instructing defenders the method of ball-hawking and ways to cause loose footballs.

It's been reported coaches expect a handful of veteran players on the team to assist, mainly on defense, younger guys in notably the WCO style of zone or slant blocking and nuances of the Seattle Seahawks defensive style. There's only one rookie to vie for a starting job on offense but the guys on the O-line have been blocking in a different way for years and the signing of the veteran G/C familiar with the WCO makes him almost a player/coach.

There could be up to four rookies on the field when the Falcons defense lines up. A plus is the pass cover in the secondary will be simple man-to-man a majority of snaps, the D-line's role is simply disrupt the line of scrimmage to penetrate and the linebackers will fill holes, blitz or fall into cover. No more exotic delay blitzes by the safety or LB which never worked the last two seasons.

About those predictions,...these experts know the Falcons are talented with a verifiable elite NFL QB and an overall unknown roster with some rough diamonds and unproven rookies. But hey man,...those Saints are wayyyyy too quiet over there in nawlins and all Panthers matchups are just brutal. The Bucs, who knows with a rookie QB.
    Last edited by Penumbra; 07-06-2015 at 04:43 AM.

I will admit I am looking forward to another type approach, mentality, mindset or whatever you wish to call it. I do feel the more I read the roster is decent, especially on D. and to see any other approach on D makes have more confidence than in the past.
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Head Coach Material
    Get what Roddy White said about things being new,..."You're going in meetings and actually paying attention now," White said. "Going through the same system for seven years, you're just kind of like going back and forth. But you know, around the new coaching staff it's different. It's different energy, there's different personalities -- just a lot of things are different now, so we do a whole lot of things differently."

Indicting! not only of the old regime, but with the player mentality, the game will never be the same. it has been adulterated from top to bottom. Locker room attendants handling game material of a multi billion dollar entity. a crooked politician in charge and in bed with the player rep...............sorry, just my opinion
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Head Coach Material
    hahaha! I KNEW that quote would set ya off!