Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlestown, SC shooting

Charlestown, SC shooting

There was a shooting at a church in Charlestown, SC last night. Nine people are confirmed dead and the shooter is at large. The powers that be are immediately moving to designate this as a "hate crime".

Is this because Christians were killed in their house of worship during a Bible study? Apparently not.

Is this because white people were shot by a black person? Of course not.

Is this because the church is known as a "black church", dating back over 200 years? Ding! Ding! Ding!

And now the shooters race, which appears to be darker skinned, doesn't seem to be an issue and news hosts are falling over themselves to decry how awful and terrible this story is. And it is, just as they all are.

All lives matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ibleedgreen View Post
    And now the shooters race, which appears to be darker skinned, .

IBG you are so full of crap

This is the shooter

I've got a phrase for you:

RIGHT WING DOMESTIC TERRORISM

a politically motivated attack on civilians by a non state actor is the definition of terrorism.

I took one look at the picture of the alleged perp, and thought he looked non-caucasian, esp. with the hair do. This was before I had any facts or details about what happened. That was and is my honest opinion.

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions, as usual, when you think you have a nice gotcha moment to blather on about the mythical numerous white supremacists in our midst, a la Gunderhead.

Let's let this play out and see what comes of it. Obviously there are haters and racists out there, but not nearly to the extent your side likes to portray.

And you of course ignored my main point. Why is THIS deemed to be hate, assuming it stands that the gunman is white, and not in the inverse situation?

And why is it not hate against CHRISTIANITY or "religion"?

In short, why is it always race with YOU? Never mid, that was rhetorical...
    Last edited by ibleedgreen; 06-18-2015 at 02:17 PM.

And you of course ignored my main point. Why is THIS deemed to be hate, assuming it stands that the gunman is white, and not in the inverse situation?
    it happened during a Bible study IBG. He sat in the Bible study for a half hour and then interrupted a religious service to kill everyone. Well, except for one person to tell the story. That's a dictionary definition of a hate crime.

by the way if this man was Muslim what would you call it?

it's both terrorism and a hate crime.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    it happened during a Bible study IBG. He sat in the Bible study for a half hour and then interrupted a religious service to kill everyone. Well, except for one person to tell the story. That's a dictionary definition of a hate crime.

by the way if this man was Muslim what would you call it?

it's both terrorism and a hate crime.
    So what makes it "hate"?

I am not disagreeing but simply musing at the reasons for why the rush to call it hate. The rationale seems inconsistent and contradictory to me.

This whole classifying of heinous crime is a bit contrived. It's all EVIL. And again, ALL lives matter, no matter what skin tone or belief.

They have already identified the psychopath as 21 year old Dylann Roof (sp).

I wouldn't be surprised if the POS was already dead by a self inflicted gunshot wound somewhere.

And I'm sure we're going to hear about how he was a "troubled youth", a "loner", and has been on psychotropic medications most of his life (like almost ALL of these perpetrators of large scale shootings have been since Columbine).

Horrible, senseless tragedy that could have been avoided.

And even worse off for Charleston, S.C., today is the anniversary of ANOTHER terrible event involving 9 deaths:

The Charleston Sofa Super Store fire occurred on the evening of June 18, 2007 in Charleston South Carolina, United States and claimed the lives of nine firefighters, the highest number of firefighter fatalities in a single event since the September 11 attacks

Bad times.

So what makes it "hate"?

I am not disagreeing but simply musing at the reasons for why the rush to call it hate. The rationale seems inconsistent and contradictory to me.

This whole classifying of heinous crime is a bit contrived. It's all EVIL. And again, ALL lives matter, no matter what skin tone or belief.
    This country was founded by people trying to escape religious persecution. Anytime a mass murder happens in a church it's a hate crime. Regardless of race.

But if we are talking about race, there is a bad history of churches being shot up or burned to the ground. Particularly black churches and particularly in that region of the country.

I'd rather call it domestic terrorism than a hate crime. But it's probably both.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    This country was founded by people trying to escape religious persecution. Anytime a mass murder happens in a church it's a hate crime. Regardless of race.

But if we are talking about race, there is a bad history of churches being shot up or burned to the ground. Particularly black churches and particularly in that region of the country.

I'd rather call it domestic terrorism than a hate crime. But it's probably both.
    Can't disagree, and the guy is now identified as white. We just seem to fall over backwards for the "white-on-black" factor. All acts like this are evil, heinous and deplorable, no matter how we classify them for political means. But this is even beyond that to SICK and twisted.

This kind of event transcends the race and religion rhetoric. It WAS a hate crime...against innocent human beings by a worthless scumbag. It is simply horrific...nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGold12 View Post
    This kind of event transcends the race and religion rhetoric. It WAS a hate crime...against innocent human beings by a worthless scumbag. It is simply horrific...nuff said.
    Yep, that is essentially my point. But would it have been deemed such so quickly and decisively if circumstances were different?

I think all intentional murders have an element of hate.