Thread: Secondary no names to shine

Head Coach Material

Secondary no names to shine

Here's three more Falcons, two drafted by Atlanta recently and one drafted in the second round last Spring. And the rookie is doing some trash talk,...well a little anyway.

No one knows anything about Dezman Southward and good for them. Most Falcons fans don't know the guy. Southbound was drafted in 2014 as a safety and was relegated to special teams play last season. The new staff and Coach Quinn have been working Southdown at nickel back and corner back.

Remember Quinn's defensive strategy is to use man-to-man cover primarily. No more zone cover for 3/4 of defensive snaps as we've seen the last 7 seasons.

Another left over from the Smith regime is Robert Alford, a competent cover guy,...sort of a Ronnie Bradford(remember him Falcons fans?) type corner, makes few mistakes and is always within a step or less of the receiver. Alford missed the final 6 games last year with a broken wrist, another reason the defense sucked so badly finishing the season. Drafted in 2013 Alford has 5 career INTs, 3 last year in the 10 games he played. With Desmond Trufant on the other side, opposing QBs avoided testing the former 1st round pick and leftover from Smith. That put Alford on the proverbial "island" even though most times the Falcons chose to play zone cover. And Alford did very good against a barrage of testing his cover abilities.

Next is the rookie Jalen Collins chosen in the 2nd round last Spring. He's 6' 1" and weighs 203 lbs. long arms, stride and fast. He's been talking about making the Pro Bowl and winning ROY this season, which is good I guess because corners should be confident in their ability. The boy is fast and has the size to defend the taller receivers in the league. We'll see about that Pro Bowl prediction as most of us just want legitimate coverage on wide outs.

Looking at these guys it appears Quinn is satisfied with the group as there have been several corners available then signed after the draft as teams rounded their rosters before training camp. Quinn pursued none of them.

It takes less time to form a solid defense than an effective offense, usually, and this fact might eek out some early wins against formidable teams,...the iggles, Boys in Dallas and Giants in NJ to start the season.

I hope it's as good as you are making it sound, of course from last year there is only one way to go and that is up or down in the standings.
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Head Coach Material
    The Falcons are undefeated right now so yeah everything's good.

Another player, LB Marquis Spruill drafted in the 5th round in 2014 is another guy who could contribute. In the 2014 training camp the Falcons lost Weatherspoon to a knee so Spruill was expected to fill that hole. Then in preseason Spruill tore his ACL too. He was a great LB at Syracuse but he's smallish at 6 feet and 224 lbs.

But the point isn't to shake pom poms here. It's to show how many players that have been recently drafted who either wasn't given a chance by Smith or were injured. A 5th round pick doesn't usually become Tom Brady but guys like Spruill can't get the staff to deflate footballs either.

Notice most of the players mentioned in the two posts, guys that never seemed to get a chance and rookies, are on the defensive side of the ball.

Point is,...many Falcons fans won't be able to tell you who and where these guys are or where they came from. The other fans across the nation, if some of these guys make a name for themselves, will label them overachievers more than likely. If they were a Cowboy or a Jet or a Pat or a Niner or a Packer they'd be GREAT finds.

Head Coach Material
    Almost forgot Ricardo Allen a free safety. He wasn't activated to the playing roster until week #16 last year. Then he played on special teams. He's 23 and has a stellar college career with INTs and INT return yardage. According to reports from mini camp Quinn likes him so much he's given Allen time with the 1st unit defense. Already in the last two posts there's been quite a few players listed who could make a name for themselves,...given the chance that Smith never gave them.

sorry bout dis bro.......but NAAWWWWWP,
    jk, the article I read was from a fan site, not a homey site and the inference then about Smitty was the simple question of why, why did you not take over the D, the person...I refuse to call him a coach, the person running the D and calling the shots on D was not Smitty, it was that colon guy or Nolan, with him there is little difference when it comes to production.

Quinn is the coach with the D background, but Aurthur and his court had already picked and signed an O & D coordinators. You will have go to flowery branch to see for yourself because the so called sports "reporters" many of who never wore a jock strap and the ones who did only played at a youth level.....12 and under won't be very informative if at all!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Head Coach Material
    son pfffft! The so called reporters are at the Cowboys, Jets, Broncos even the RAIDERS and Niners camps! Next they plan to be in the Steelers camp and they did, while out West, reported on the Cards camp. Flowery Branch? Where the HELL is that? Must be the Atlanta Petunias camp.

So you're implying it's business as usual with the head coach an administrator and the coordinators calling the shots. Thing is this time the defense is simple,...it's the Seahawks way as we've been told and that's disrupt the line of scrimmage with the D-line, LBs are to fill any holes in the run game and the secondary will play man cover most of the time. Maybe Quinn sees lack of talent in the players left over, the guys the former coors put in place, and now he's trying guys who never had chance to play because of a good ole boy system that was apparently in place. I'd like to think Quinn is more hands on with the defense but you sound like you're not sure of that,...and if that's the case AGAIN, that Quinn will be an administrator, I'll be very pissed with Blank. I do know Smith had NOTHING to do with the offense but I hope Quinn won't be another Smith because I doubt Quinn has much to say to Shannyhan about running the offense.

Damn,...guess we'll find out about the time I can drink again.

A good D head coach would look at how he would deploy the D as a coordinator against his head O coach, if it were me I damned sure have a say over little nothing shanahan. he did play pee wee ball, but he doesn't have a great track record.......and he had rg!!!