• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A
    NFLfans processing...

Thread: Vikings make a deal to trade QB Cassel

Celebrating in the 1st Deck

Vikings make a deal to trade QB Cassel

Looks like the Vikings are giving the Bills QB Cassel and our 12th pick in the 6th round this year for the Bills 1st pick 5th round this year and their 7th round pick in 2016. The Bills had the 1st pick in the 5th round this year as part of a trade they did with TB last year..

I like the trade since Bridgewater is expected to be our guy, my only concern is what are they gonna do for a backup now? Are they gonna bring in another freeagent vet? Resign Ponder to a cheap backup contract? Draft someone to develope behind Bridgewater and go with a rookie as our primary backup? Someone on the practice squad they like and want to promote to the active roster?

What do you all think of the trade? What are we gonna do for a backup now?
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

Coach in Training
    Yeah, I can get behind the deal. We're losing some major security but, I'd have been shocked if Spielman didn't make some move for the draft. Honestly, if Bridgewater goes down I doubt we'd make a hard playoff push anyway, so maybe it isn't that big of a risk. Plus, I think it's simply a case where Cassel was worth more for somebody else than us. We got something for him and he'd otherwise just be parked on the bench for us.

My guess for route would be attempt to resign Ponder for backup and draft a groomer QB for #3. Draft guy will likely be a low ceiling/high floor kind of guy later in the draft. Ponder makes sense. Like with the Cassel case, he's probably more valuable here than elsewhere. I think we're bound to draft a guy in the late rounds. Maybe I'm wrong on the low ceiling/high floor guy (destined to be backup). We might try to shoot for a bigger project.

This QB draft class isn't very strong. After Winston and Mariota there isn't much to get excited about. If Hundley, Grayson or Petty are still available in the 4th round I would start concidering taking one of them there. Otherwise, I would rather focus on other needs in the first four rounds rather than reaching for a backup QB.

Free agency doesn't offer much to get excited about either. Ponder makes scene if he comes at the right price. Already has a year under his belt in the system.

Season Tickets, First Deck
    I thought the Vikings might have gotten a little more in return for Cassel. I actually think the Bills got a pretty good deal if he turns out to be their starting QB. Carter you just mentioned that there really isn't much out there QB wise. If Cassel was a FA he might have actually been the most sought after QB next to McCown.

I'm almost thinking the Vikings would have been better off keeping Cassel considering how little they got back. It's not like they are 'cap stapped'. They might really be missing him if Teddy goes down for a couple of games with an injury. Especially if the Vikings are making a little noise this year.

As for who the Vikings might end up with as a backup QB now .... I've heard Charlie Whitehurst's name thrown around. Think I would much rather have Cassel.

I think Spielman made a good trade. According to the trade value chart we traded Cassel for a late 5th round pick. That's good value for a 32 year old backup quarterback. More important though is they now have the first pick in the fifth round which gives them a lot more flexibility to trade up if they want to. Both our fifths will get us a mid level fourth. Our fourth and the 1st overall 5th round pick should get us a late third round pick, might have to throw in a seventh round pick.

We don't need a top line backup yet. The fact is we are a couple of years away from being a serious contender to supplant Green Bay and Detroit so it's less important that we get a backup who can lead us to the playoffs if Teddy gets hurt and more important that our backup can keep us competitive and also help Teddy grow. I do believe that Cassel would have been that guy. That's my concern with Ponder. Does he have the ability or desire to work with Teddy to help him become the best QB he can be. We might have to wait until a QB gets cut in training camp to find the right guy to mentor Teddy.
    Last edited by MIVike; 03-06-2015 at 11:57 AM.

We traded Cassel and our mid 6th round pick for the 1st pick on the 5th round this year and the Bills 7th rounder in 2016.

I still think it was a good trade. We moved up a round and a half and a 7th rounder in 2016

You guys make good points about the trade so maybe I'm nit-picking. After all the Vikings were able to get something for Cassel. If they waited until next year they wouldn't have gotten anything. It could be that the Vikings were going to cut Cassel because he refused to renegotiate. So again the Vikings would have got nothing. So I don't think it was a bad trade for the Vikings I just thought Cassel was worth more, but maybe I'm wrong.

If I was a Buffalo Bill fan I might say 'we got Matt Cassel, our potential starting QB, and a 6th rounder for our 5th and a 2016 7th rounder. We drop down one round in this year's draft but still have the same number of picks and how often does a 7th rounder work out?' So if I'm a Bill's fan I'm feeling pretty good about the trade.

My real problem with the trade is the Vikings no longer have a competent backup. QB is the most important position on a football team. While I agree that the Vikings are not a serious contender for the Super Bowl yet, I do feel like they are a very serious contender for a playoff spot. Without a legitimate backup QB, losing Bridgewater for a few games due to an injury could cost them an opportunity to get to the playoffs.

Interesting point. The whole value of the trade comes down to ones expectations for Cassel. If I'm Buffalo and think Cassel has the potential to be the starting quarterback then I can see where giving up a 5th this year and a 7th next year for Cassel and a 6th this year is a pretty good deal. Maybe Rex thinks E.J. Manual needs some competition or a year on the sidelines to learn. Then again Rex may not want Manual at all and plans to draft his future quarterback. If that's the case then he needs someone like Cassel to hold the reins because there aren't many instant starters in this draft.

From a Vikings standpoint Cassel wasn't going to be our starting quarterback so getting a 5th this year and a 7th next year for him and a 6th this year seems pretty good also. Good negotiations are when both sides walk away thinking they have won. That may be the case with this trade. Both sides win.

I'm having a change of heart on my earlier comments on the backup quarterback. I was looking at it as Bridgewater being out for an extended period of time and a backup leading us to the playoffs. I didn't think Cassel would do for us what he did for New England when Brady got injured. I get your point though, if Bridgewater is out a game here and a game there we need someone who can come in a give us a chance to win to keep our playoff hopes alive. Cassel definitely fit that bill plus I think he would have been a good mentor for Bridgewater (that's assuming Cassel was content with that role, maybe he wanted an opportunity to start). Hopefully a good backup gets cut and we can pick them up.

Coach in Training
    I don't think it was too bad of value on the Cassel trade. I think it made more sense for Buffalo but, I'd call it a win-win in the end. I think a big reason we couldn't get more was his health. Apparently he failed an initial physical with them while testing out his foot so, he might have some more healing to do there.

In the end, we got Shaun Hill on a nicer money deal also so, I really like how it turned out for us. Not a huge downgrade at QB and we turned that into picks and found money.

Good point Munkey about Cassel's foot ... might have played into Vikings' bargaining power.

I'm good with Shawn Hill. Lots of experience and probably a good mentor for Bridgewater. Has played in Turner's system before but then again he's bounced around so much that he's probably played in just about every system. Good fill in for a game or two if needed.

Now the Vikings need to get this Peterson situation resolved.