• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A
    NFLfans processing...

Thread: Ideas for trading Adrian Peterson....

Celebrating in the 1st Deck

Ideas for trading Adrian Peterson....

As much as I loved watching Peterson play for the Vikings I am starting to lean towards the idea of trading him if we can get good value for him.
    Peterson is 29 this season, trading him would free up a lot of cap space, RB is one of the easier position to replace via draft and with all the turmoil over everything that happen last year I feel like it is probably time to move on.

With everything that has happen what do you all think is fair/good trade value for him? Any possible trade scenarios/ideas?

With Peterson's age, high salary and bruised charater I'm having a hard time guaging what is fair and realistic deal. Here are some ideas I was kicking around....

Peterson for....

Dallas 1st and 2nd this year

St. Louis 1st and 3rd this year

Oakland 2nd this year 1st 2016

Jacksonville 2nd this year 1st 2016

San Diego 1st and 3rd this year and 3rd in 2016

If Peterson is really wanting out of Minnesota and is willing to take a pay cut with another team to help make a trade happen then getting good value in a trade might be more realistic.
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

I believe your right about AP playing for the Vikes next year. Although AP would keep defenses honest and help TB tremendously, it doesn't appear AP wants to stay and I'm not so sure the Vikes want him back. I can't believe that they won't require him to redo his contract. I think AP is going to balk at that but I don't see anyway that he plays next year at his current cap number. If we cut him no one is signing him for $15.4 mil and there's no way we can trade him with that cap number.

As you pointed out RB is one of the easier positions to replace and there are a number of good backs in the draft this year. Which is why I don't think we can get much for him in trade value. NFL teams value first round picks to much to trade them for a 29 year old back with a serious image problem. Realistically I don't see us getting more than a 4th or 5th round pick depending on what he is willing to renogotiate his contract for. I just don't think we are going to get a first and a second, although I hope I'm wrong.

As to your trade scenerios, I would take Jasksonville's because I think they will end up with a top 2-5 pick next year that we could use on a LT if they determine that Kahlill isn't the solution and Oakland will proba

Coach in Training
    Pretty good analysis. I like the rational.

Also, welcome to the site! I don't think I got to say that before.

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    I agree that it will probably be difficult to get the kind of value I was hoping for, but if we can't get something in that ball park then I think we should just keep him. The only way we might have a shot at that kind of value is ff he is willing to take a pay cut to go with another team.

As for requireing Peterson to redo his contract. They can't require him to do it. They can ask him too. Just like the Vikings have every right to hold Peterson to his contract Peterson has every right to hold the Vikings too. Peterson has every right to say "Pay me or cut me" which he might do if he wants to try and leverage for being traded or released. Peterson has expressed concerns about playing for the Vikings again. I think he wants to goto another team, but not just any other team. If he has his choice between being a Cowboy or a Viking he would likely take a pay cut to make that happen, but probably not to be a Jaguar.

It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

Your absolutely right Carter, trading AP for what I think we can realistically get for him would be foolish. In my opinion he brings more value to us than a mid level draft pick.

I would like to see how TB performs when he has a proven RB threat behind him. Our current RB's or any draft pick aren't going to change a DC's game plan, but AP does. Will Patterson bounce back because the opponents have to stack the box leaving him more room to operate? What about Kalil, does he revert back to producing like his rookie year? The DE's are going to have to pause to make sure it's not a run play which will give him time to set up.

I realize they can't force AP to renegotiate his contract. What I meant is that there is a good chance that they aren't going to keep him at his current cap number so AP either renegotiates his contract or gets cut. Like I said before I'd prefer to keep AP rather than let him go for nothing. You bring up a good point that the Vikings don't have complete control over who they could trade with. Unless a team is willing to take on his contract AP has control over who he'd be traded to by the amount he's willing to reduce his salary by in order to play for that team.

Season Tickets, First Deck
    The Peterson situation is pretty interesting. I have a feeling at this point that there is no way the Vikings will cut Peterson. If push comes to shove the Vikings will hold onto Peterson at his present salary. Since cutting Charlie Johnson the Vikings salary cap is close to $20 million with Peterson's salary so they can actually afford to keep him.

I feel that all the talk lately coming out about AP's unhappiness has as much to do with him not wanting his salary reduced and he's actually not as unhappy as it seems. I believe he and his agent are trying to make the Vikings feel like Adrian is hurt and uncomfortable with them. So if the Vikings don't want to piss him off anymore they let him keep his salary for another year. I really feel like the Vikings want to keep him because they feel like he is going to have a monster year.

You can totally understand why he wants to keep his present salary. He could lose up to six game checks because of the punishment handed down. He has lost countless millions from the sponsors that dropped him last year. I don't think he will want to give back any salary because he has already lost enough. I think he would have a hard time agreeing to a renegotiating of his contract to try and make a trade happen.

My gut tells me that Peterson really doesn't want to force a trade because he could end up getting traded to a non contending also ran. What happens if the Raiders knock the Vikings over with a trade offer and are willing to take on the Adrian's salary? They have plenty of salary cap room. I really don't think he would want to end up going to a club like the Raiders especially when it looks like the Vikings are turning things around.

When the smoke finally clears I think Adrian will be back with the Vikings. I would really hate seeing him wearing another uniform.

Thanks for the warm welcome Drunky. I've been coming here for a lot of years to get information on the Vikings but for awhile now I've been wanting to participate in the discussions. Started coming here for draft info back when there were no individual team sites but everyone was posting mock drafts together. Then kept coming back as the site evolved and got most of my info from here.

I want to thank you, Carter, OVike and Hyper for keeping the Viking site going. There's no denying that when Red passed this site lost its patriarch but you guys have done an admiral job trying to keep things going. Perhaps some of the past posters will be coming back as the draft nears.

Good to see you here MIVike. Hope you'll come back often.

Personally, I wouldn't trade AP to Dallas unless we get a Hershell Walker type deal from them. We don't have to do Jerry Jones any favors just because he sees our toy and wants to take it home with him. Peterson, his agent, and his wife can complain about the Vikings all they want but he has been treated well in Minnesota, including last season when the Vikings paid him full salary* (which they didn't have to do) to play in one NFL game. He's been treated well and paid very well, and any perceived or real disrespect he got from some member or members of the Viking family should be shaken off with some understanding of the horrible PR hit the franchise took when he got into trouble.

But the fact is, he is under contract with the Vikings through 2017. If he insists that he doesn't want to play, he would have to sit out training camp and all that, which includes a bunch of fines and makes him look bad at a time when his image frankly needs some improving. But if the Vikings want to deal him and continue the trend of getting younger and building through the draft into Mike Zimmer's team, I'm certainly not against it. There would have to be at least one first round pick included of course. Even if he's 30 and taken some abuse throughout the years, he's an All-Pro player and has been a Viking cornerstone. He's got at least a couple more seasons in him, and you can't just give that away.

*He actually only got 12 game checks, which is still mighty good for playing one game imo.
    Last edited by Hyperborean; 03-02-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Season Tickets, First Deck
    Good to have you aboard MIVike. Hopefully we can build some site momentum and get things back close to where they were when Red was around.

Thanks Hyper and ovike. Hope to be talking with everyone more often. It would be great to see this site going again.