• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A
    NFLfans processing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mock draft roundup

Mock draft roundup

Yes, it's early but what else do we have?

1/20/15 Walter Football

R1 #11= OT Brandon Scherff, Iowa
    R2 #13= WR Jaelen Strong, Arizona St.
    R3 #12= RB Jay Ajayi, Boise St.
    R4 #11= CB Cam Thomas, Western Ky.

I kinda like this mock. Scherff should start somewhere as a rookie and seems ultra dependable. Strong is nice in the second. ILB McKinley was taken three spots earlier and ILB Denzel Perryman and few spots later but I can't complain. I like Ajayi a lot. He's an all around back, which we may already have with McKinnon but we obviously need more playmakers in the backfield. It's painful having only a plodding guy like Asiago back there. Don't know much about Cam Thomas but it's a position of need.

Charlie Campbell's mock from the same site:

R1 #11= WR Devante Parker, Louisville
    R2 #13= RB Duke Johnson, Miami Fl.
    R3 #12= OT Jake Fisher, Oregon

Reuniting Parker and Bridgewater is a popular option in mocks, and one that I'm not terribly against myself. Duke Johnson in the second isn't a favorite of mine when there were better options still on the board (Maxx Williams for one). I think the 2nd might be too early for RB unless it's someone awesome, and I don't think that is Johnson. Fisher is a good prospect in the third

Draft Tek 1/14/15

R1= CB Trae Waynes, Michigan St.
    R2= WR Rashad Green, FSU
    R3= SS Jordan Richards, Stanford
    R4= RB Jay Ajayi, Boise St.
    R5= ILB Frank Shannon, Oklahoma
    R6= OLB Tony Washington, Oregon
    R7= QB Everett Golson, Notre Dame

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    Any word on what the Vikings intend to do with Peterson?

Will they try to trade him? keep him? or possibly even cut him?

If Peterson isn't with the Vikings next season what do you think of the idea of trading back in the first round a few spots to somewhere in the late teens or early twenties and targeting one of the top backs Todd Gurly or Melvin Gordon?

Taking this approach would land us one of the top backs while adding possibly another 2nd pick to address the O-Line and either WR or CB with.
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

Season Tickets, First Deck
    The Peterson situation is interesting. Provided he's reinstated April 15th, I think the Vikings will try and trade him during the draft which will be about two weeks later. If that doesn't pan out I really hope they don't just cut him. At worst I would like him to renegotiate his contract and be with the team next year. He's still a dynamic weapon to have on your team. Definitely an asset to have when you're pushing for a playoff spot.

Tough to project what the Vikings will do on draft day. The nice thing is that they still have a lot of needs and could possibly target the best player available ... OL, S, WR, LB, CB, DE, and maybe even a TE and RB if Peterson doesn't return.

My own personal preference would be to sure up the OL first.

Coach in Training
    On the topic of mock drafts, I'm not a fan of the popular OT in the first round choices (especially at #11). For me, unless they are going to be a day 1 starter, that shouldn't be done. I'm fairly confident the vikings are going to give Kalil this next year since he is under contract anyway and had a good bounce back at the end of the season from the supposed injury that had hampered him. If he's a disaster, they'll draft one next year. I just don't see it happening this year. It would be a mistake in my opinion.

If we are drafting an OT/OG swing player to play guard at #11, I'm calling that a mistake from the outright. Maybe I have too much hope for David Yankey but, we do have some depth at OG and good OG's can be drafted much later in the draft. A full round later and we will still probably have the best OG on the board in 9/10 years. I'd be very happy to see them aggressively pursue an upgrade at OG this year but, #11 is too aggressive for me. A high 2nd or 3rd round should be more value appropriate.

Wide receiver doesn't wow me either but, it's not for anything in particular. Johnson has looked good but, far from great. Jennings is winding down his career. I still believe in Patterson but, he may never progress past where he is. If he reaches potential, we don't need a 1st round WR since we'll have our top 3 pretty rounded out assuming we keep Wright and Johnson continues playing at starter quality. I'd rather save the receiver pick (I do think it a good idea to take one) till the second or 3rd round when quality players are still available and we can use that 1st pick for more value. I wouldn't be bummed about a top tier WR in the first though as it is something we are clearly without now and some of those guys can become team changing players.

Cornerback is similar to me also. It's not so much we need one right now but, it certainly would be nice to have another guy across from Rhodes shutting people down. Than being said, I think they wait on cornerback. They'll probably give Munnerlyn a chance to bounce back to old form before heavily committing a first rounder. Robinson tends to be solid when played on the outside anyway and he still will likely develop more now that he's back in his appropriate position. I think it is something we draft this year but, not necessarily in the 1st or 2nd round unless something presents itself.

As for the topic of Peterson, this seems to be getting tougher and tougher. It's obvious his reputation took a hit that both the team and he are feeling. I'm not sure how serious he was about saying he might retire but, I guess I could understand if he did. The NFL isn't making it easier with their downright unfair handling in regards to both him and the Vikings (we cant talk to him till April!?). If he retires after the free agency period and the NFL refused to let us talk to him before then, just lost a golden opportunity to land another high-end running back in free agency (when has the crop ever been this good?). If we get him back, hopefully he restructures since no running back is really worth what we're paying him unless they are cruising to the tune of 1800yds and 16TDs a year. For ~$15M he better be taking every ounce of pressure off Teddy and our receivers. He's not that guy anymore though. He's lost noticeable speed since the knee injury (still one of the fastest in the league though) and is likely on the decline from here on out. He needs to cut his salary in half to get to inline with what he brings to the team at this point. I have no idea if he'll do that though and I have no idea if the front office even so much as wants him around. I believe the reports from the team and coaches that they want him back. I'm just not sure how much he wants to be back and how much the front office wants him back now that he's not the media darling he once was.
    Last edited by drunknmunky127; 01-24-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    Well said Drunk. I'd have to say I'm in agreement with pretty much everything you said. Probably the best assessment of the Vikings offseason situation I've read yet.
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

Coach in Training
    Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it!

The first rounder should be interesting this year. In my opinion, we only really have two big holes right now in MLB and LG. Some would say safety but, I really thought Blanton was solid and I don't see that upgrade as being more impactful than either MLB or LG. By the looks of the potential free agency pool we could fill either of these before the draft. I assume they will try to have a solution to at least one of the spots before the draft in this fashion. If we stand pat, receiver might be the best option with some very talented players sitting there. As of right now, I'm kind of hoping for a trade down. Get more in position to address a top need while also getting some more picks in areas where we can get lineman and depth players at critical areas.

I'd love to see us get a top shelf middle linebacker. I really think that would be the catalyst that take our defense from good to top tier. Maybe Cole or Hodges is the key. I have really high hopes for Hodges. He NEEDS to be starting. High end linebacker play is one thing we're missing.

Ideally, I hope they can move down a little and add another pick or two in the top three rounds. I'm not as against an Olineman as some of you guys seem to be. I just don't have faith in Kalil getting much better and Teddy has to stay on the field for this team to go anywhere. I'm also very hopeful that Yankey can step in at OG but somebody like Scherff manning that position until Kalil proves he's a flop would do wonders for the whole offense. Any of the combo of WR, Oline, MLB, CB or RB in the top three rounds works for me (except RB in round one). I wouldn't mind Maxx Williams either tbh.

Nice to not fret over QB for a change isn't it?

Coach in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperborean View Post
    Ideally, I hope they can move down a little and add another pick or two in the top three rounds. I'm not as against an Olineman as some of you guys seem to be. I just don't have faith in Kalil getting much better and Teddy has to stay on the field for this team to go anywhere. I'm also very hopeful that Yankey can step in at OG but somebody like Scherff manning that position until Kalil proves he's a flop would do wonders for the whole offense. Any of the combo of WR, Oline, MLB, CB or RB in the top three rounds works for me (except RB in round one). I wouldn't mind Maxx Williams either tbh.

Nice to not fret over QB for a change isn't it?
    The lack of QB worry makes the draft almost seem like piece work haha. Is this what other teams feel like?

see below.
    Last edited by Hyperborean; 03-27-2015 at 03:35 AM.