Thread: Back to the West Coast

Head Coach Material

Back to the West Coast

Kyle Shanahannie,...son of the guy who did Dan Reeves in at Denver will be calling plays next season. Hey ya'll the West Coast Offense is back in Atlanta.

No fan of that offensive philosophy at all.

There'll be no pulling guards as it's all slant blocking. With Matt Ryan at QB it'll be short passes most of the time(which because of a pathetic O-line he had to get the ball out fast anyway and lots of emphasis on the tight end in the passing game). So it might not be bad afterall.

Our talk today was about this and we concluded the Falcons offense will not be as explosive as the WCO requires a stout defense on the other side of the ball.

Later we might go back to Walsh in the '80's and look back at his WCO which is not today's attack.

It'll be nice because the WCO also requires the run game and maybe after two sorry seasons Action Jackson might get his 1000 yards.

In a way it's a tad interesting.

I doubt that any OC in todays game will run a pure WC offense. There are many ways to incorporate some of it's elements if you have the right personnel... but for the most part, OCs generally must run schemes that favor the talent on the team.

Just my $.02

-Q

Head Coach Material
    You're right about that. And it's clear no team uses the Bill Walsh, the pure WCO, as he presented. People forget Walsh always had a formidable run game and yes he used the short passing game but then too there was always the verticle passing game with Montana and Young. There's where the media in all their wisdom miss what Walsh did with his offensive attack. Believe me,...I watched the Niners for many years before realignment and even after Walsh left his coaches used the same attack,...Siefert I think his name is. And yes, in today's game there's no way to label any offense this and that but still it's almost assured Shanahan will change blocking sheme, as you note, to favor what talent(if any on the O-line) and Ryan's ability to get the ball out quick in the short to intermediate pass game. Is there a pure WCO anywhere in the league, don't think so anymore due to the mobile new breed type QBs but just like Paul Brown's offense still exists so shall elements of Mike Shanahan with the Broncos, Walsh's classic WC attack and his son will definitely imo show a change in philosophy and it'll be interesting to see how Matt Ryan's numbers reflect this. As we know when the run game works a QB today doesn't need 44 attempts and 400 yards passing anymore. In fact those passing numbers usually accompany a loss. Thanks for the reply Q.

There will be no pulling guards as it can be all slant blocking. With Matt Ryan at QB it's going to be quick passes nearly all ofsome time(which becauseof the pathetic O-line he needed tohave the ball out speedyanywayand lots of emphasis within thelimitedstopduring the passing match). So it'd not be undesirable afterall.