November, 5, 2014
Nov 5

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Cardinals coach Bruce Arians didn’t sound optimistic that second-year running back Stepfan Taylor would return from a calf injury this week.

“Stepf, he’s getting better but it’s probably going to be real tight for this week,” Arians said.

The Cardinals may have found a suitable backup in Taylor’s absence with Arizona State product Marion Grice. He played nine snaps and had 12 yards, including a touchdown on five carries.

“He has grown now in the offense,” Arians said. “He’s getting all the terminology down and he’s been here over a month. It’s time for him to step in. We’re really happy we have the depth now. I also like Kerwynn Williams, another young guy who’s on our practice squad who we elevated this week.

“Our depth at running back might not be big names but I really like all of them. They can all run, block and catch.”

•Arians said he and defensive coordinator Todd Bowles talk about twice a week. “I let him do his job and I listen in on the sidelines. And they’re very, very calm and extremely poised on the sidelines.” Every once in a while, Arians said he’ll nudge Bowles for more blitzes.
•When he was the head coach at Temple, Arians brought a lot of pressure, he said, with eight-man fronts.
•Arians has been praising Dan Williams all week but he said Williams moved outside when Calais Campbell got hurt and has been playing better from an end position ever since. “We have a big nickel package now where he’s a penetrating three technique and with Calais being hurt he’s kinda grown into that role a little bit more and looked really good at it, so we’re using him more at it now.”
•Arians had his son, former NFL kicker Jake Arians, evaluate five kickers last year and Jake recommended the Cardinals look at Chandler Catanzaro. Bruce Arians said his fingers were crossed during the draft that Catanzaro wouldn’t be picked by another team.
•St. Louis Rams quarterback Austin Davis has impressed Arians with his ability to make “every throw and he’s got some mobility about him.” Davis’ experience running a high-tempo offense at Southern Miss helped prepare him for the NFL, Arians said. “This kid is getting better and better. You see as he’s learning and getting his experience up versus different blitzes and things on third down and two-minute.” Arians added that Davis “had his team within one possession of winning every game.”