Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Games in, lets take an honest look at the job Idzik has done

Two Games in, lets take an honest look at the job Idzik has done

We went into this off season with 50 Million in cap space and 12 draft picks, in what many considered a terrific and deep draft class.

IOW's between the cap space we had to attack free agency, and the amount of picks we had in a strong draft, we were setup to fill the handful of glaring needs on this team, to really upgrade those areas that desperately needed upgrading (and we all knew exactly what those areas were, it was that obvious to even the most casual observer).

1. WR's (plural)

The entire group last year was sub-standard at best by NFL standards, and I'm bring kind, the truth is, our WR core as a whole flat-out sucked.

This year, you remove Eric Decker and we have the exact same group. Some names may have changed, but the exact same talent level.

Oh wait, we drafted three WR's, or was it four?

I can't remember because I haven't actually seen any of them do anything at the position in the preseason, and certainly not in these first two games, and there is no indication that this is even close to changing any time soon, if at all. Truth is, we drafted more of what we already had, practice squad players masquerading as NFL WR's.

2. CB

The need for a starting caliber CB was as clear as day, and while the Idzik defenders can argue that the FA CB market was overrated and/or overvalued, value is a relative term, the market sets the value for free agents and Idzik either misjudged the market or was willing to leave this team in dire straits at the CB position rather than pay market value for a Plug & Play Corner like DRC, who never should have been allowed to leave the building without a contract and go sign with the Giants, and I DON'T CARE if he's not Mel Blount, he would not have gotten torched by Jordy Nelson to the tune of 200+ Yards yesterday, like Idzik's former #9 Overall Pick who can't stay healthy to save his life, and who Jordy Nelson blew by like he was standing still, twice ... but hey, we still have a sh*tload of cap space and thats the important thing.

Oh wait, I almost forgot, we reached for a CB in the 3rd RD who has pretty much been hurt since H.S., problem solved!

Oops, MSG just reminded me that I completely forgot about the debacle that was Dimitri Patterson, because we never actually saw him on the field, he was here and gone (AWOL) in an eye blink, and this was Idzik's brilliant fallback option when he failed to secure any one of the A-list FA Corners.

3. OG

Last year Winters was a disappointment and Colon had off season surgery with a long history of NOT playing full seasons (last year was the aberration, but fools gold to count on it again), and again we had a pretty strong group of FA OG's this off season, at least five guys who could have started for this team, only we didn't get any of them. In fact I'm not even sure if we tried because they came off the board pretty quick and as best I can tell Idzik was sleeping thru the first two days of free agency.

But hey, we still have a sh*tload of cap space and thats the important thing.

4. 3-4 OLB/Edge Rusher

We brought in Babin late and I liked the addition as a one year bandaid, but this is a position we have been trying to fill with a long-term solution since we traded John Abraham and after two years on the job for John Idzik we're still looking. Another failure to address a glaring need with a player who actually has a future.

5. Punter

Last year we had the worst punter in football, maybe the worst punter in franchise history, and thats saying a lot considering this franchise has cornered the market on crappy punters throughout its long and tortured history, but I digress, last year we had the worst punter in football and this year we have the same punter. Need I say more?
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 09-15-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Team Owner
    I don't even care about 1,3,4 and 5

If he had simply addressed #2, the jets go to Green Bay and win, they're 2-0 and no one is complaining today.

I said during the draft he should have targeted & traded up for a couple better players (YOU HAVE 12 PICKS! go get a legit wr) but I'm sure his "slow" "calculated" approach missed out on those opportunities.

Johnny Molasses is an amateur joke.

Pope and I may disagree on revis and/or DRC but where we agree is the CB issue. THAT was the big domino that hd to fall because it would have set us up differently for draft day. Instead he whiffed and irresponsibly felt Patterson was somehow the answer (while also holding out hope that Milliner would be healthy and a stud this year). Had he gotten us a CB he could have taken Pryor wiht no issue and then not have to reach for a CB in rd 3. Instead we stil have a gaping hole at CB...possily 2 considering MIlliners inury history and inconsistent play.

Thats not to say I dont have problems with the other stuff. When you have 12 picks in a deep as hell draft you eithe rare SO confident in your ability to judge talent that you thik you can take 12 guys of whicvh 10 or 11 will make the team OR you parlay those picks into more premium picks. We made zero moves and currently have 1 (maybe 2) of the 12 picks makig any impact whatsoever.

Honeymoon is over. This team is all Idziks now so we'll see how it fares this year and how he does this next off season. But I think it is fair to say that after a decent 2013 off season, his 2014 off season has been a failure and now its just a question of to what extent that failure affects th 2014 season.

MSG, please see the edit (addition) I made to the CB comments in red, and thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    We went into this off season with 50 Million in cap space and 12 draft picks, in what many considered a terrific and deep draft class.

IOW's between the cap space we had to attack free agency, and the amount of picks we had in a strong draft, we were setup to fill the handful of glaring needs on this team, to really upgrade those areas that desperately needed upgrading (and we all knew exactly what those areas were, it was that obvious to even the most casual observer).

1. WR's (plural)

The entire group last year was sub-standard at best by NFL standards, and I'm bring kind, the truth is, our WR core as a whole flat-out sucked.

This year, you remove Eric Decker and we have the exact same group. Some names may have changed, but the exact same talent level.

Oh wait, we drafted three WR's, or was it four?

I can't remember because I haven't actually seen any of them do anything at the position in the preseason, and certainly not in these first two games, and there is no indication that this is even close to changing any time soon, if at all. Truth is, we drafted more of what we already had, practice squad players masquerading as NFL WR's.

2. CB

The need for a starting caliber CB was as clear as day, and while the Idzik defenders can argue that the FA CB market was overrated and/or overvalued, value is a relative term, the market sets the value for free agents and Idzik either misjudged the market or was willing to leave this team in dire straits at the CB position rather than pay market value for a Plug & Play Corner like DRC, who never should have been allowed to leave the building without a contract and go sign with the Giants, and I DON'T CARE if he's not Mel Blount, he would not have gotten torched by Jordy Nelson to the tune of 200+ Yards yesterday, like Idzik's former #9 Overall Pick who can't stay healthy to save his life, and who Jordy Nelson blew by like he was standing still, twice ... but hey, we still have a sh*tload of cap space and thats the important thing.

Oh wait, I almost forgot, we reached for a CB in the 3rd RD who has pretty much been hurt since H.S., problem solved!

3. OG

Last year Winters was a disappointment and Colon had off season surgery with a long history of NOT playing full seasons (last year was the aberration, but fools gold to count on it again), and again we had a pretty strong group of FA OG's this off season, at least five guys who could have started for this team, only we didn't get any of them. In fact I'm not even sure if we tried because they came off the board pretty quick and as best I can tell Idzik was sleeping thru the first two days of free agency.

4. 3-4 OLB/Edge Rusher

We brought in Babin late and I liked the addition as a one year bandaid, but this is a position we have been trying to fill with a long-term solution since we traded John Abraham and after two years on the job for John Idzik we're still looking. Another failure to address a glaring need with a player who actually has a future.

5. Punter

Last year we had the worst punter in football, maybe the worst punter in franchise history, and thats saying a lot considering this franchise has cornered the market on crappy punters throughout its long and tortured history, but I digress, last year we had the worst punter in football and this year we have the same punter. Need I say more?
    If Woody told Idizk his first and foremost goal was a 2014 playoff appearance, then everything you said is 100% accurate. If Woody told Idzik I want to contend for it all by 2015, then I don't necessarily agree or disagree with you, but all I can say is that grades ain't in yet.

Team Owner
    "I'm shipping him up I-95, and he has a little sign around his neck that says, "I need corners,'" -Ozzie Newsome on Rex Ryan

This is no joke, everyone here wants to know why I constantly harp on this all the time. REX'S DEFENSE RUNS THROUGH THE CB POSITION, if you don't want to pay the CB position then get a different head coach.
    The strength of the jets is the defense, the man who is the architect of it NEEDS CB's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may not like what they did, but you cannot ignore what happened with Dexter McDougle and Patterson. That will affect any team.

Yes i would have like to seen another WR come in. I was a little shocked that they never had Golden Tate in at all. Possibly Nicks although another guy who has been on the sidelines more thenon the field same with Austin. But yes they should have atleast brought them in.

OLB won't argue on this. I've been crying about this forever now. Hopefully next off season they can go after justin Houston KC. If he doesn't resign during the season which it doesn't look like. But it also depends if Rex is still here also.

CB. One guy Davis that was it. He didn't get him. davis stayed with Indy. I'm not sold on the Jets shouldve thrown more money cause that would have been 10 or more million instead of the 9 he stayed for. Lots of complaints about Milliner not being healthy and thats davis. Guy was traded from Miami for same reason Not on the field enough. Had some injuries in INdy. So why push him over 10 mill to get him . DRC sorry dudes a HEADCASE. Could Idzik have gone after the 2 ex Hawks players yes they seem to be better players then Patterson.

OG sorry there was nada. Maybe the Ex Buc. But sorry Shwartz was a 7yr vet that had 7 games as a starter with KC and now makes over 4mill a season an he is nothing but a jag he is willie Colon.

Quote Originally Posted by ibleedgreen View Post
    You may not like what they did, but you cannot ignore what happened with Dexter McDougle and Patterson. That will affect any team.
    Who told Idzik to pass on all of the A-list FA Corners and settle for a 31 year old journeyman who has been on six or seven teams?

That was Idzik's call and the results are on him.

Who told Idzik to reach for a CB in the 3rd RD who has essentially been hurt since H.S. and missed all but one or two games of his final college season?

Again, that was Idzik's call and the results are on him, the buck stops with him.

Poor planning and poor decisions by the front office will kill a football team faster than you can say "SOJ", and I know that because we've had a lifetime of mismanagement.
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 09-15-2014 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JWilly View Post
    If Woody told Idizk his first and foremost goal was a 2014 playoff appearance, then everything you said is 100% accurate. If Woody told Idzik I want to contend for it all by 2015, then I don't necessarily agree or disagree with you, but all I can say is that grades ain't in yet.
    Not getting us a CB and then screwing up the draft does not make us any better for 2014 OR 2015. Yes, we wil have "cap room" but he stil has to sign whoever is available AND draft well. The not getting the CB effected his 2015 plans because HE STILL NEEDS ONE! And now instead of just tinkering with the roster and re-signing our own guys, hes gong to AGAIN have to fill major needs this off season which include TWO (CB nd WR) that were major needs THIS past off season.

Look, the fact that he held on to all 12 picks and only 5 made the team and only 1 is starting to me is a serious condemnation to begin with. BUt what we are trottig out there at CB is damn near inexcusable when we have known for MONTHS that it was a primary need not ust pn paper but for rex's D to even be effective. Honeymnoon is over...this is HIS team now and we shall see how 2014 plays out and what he does in 2015 to fix it.