Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Unknown Defense

The Unknown Defense

Looking at the depth charts on D and it seems a very unimpressive unit on paper. One note is this year they are listing the 3-4. As you have pointed out in the past Pen they switched to it at times last year and even since the coordinator was hired they have done that.

With that said, I bet they stay in it with Spoon out for the season and we have to rely on a second year walk on to call the D. It will be another year of having no idea to start with, and possibly another year of needing 5 or 6 games for them to gel, and as we know all too well, the season can be over with if takes too long
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Head Coach Material
    It goes back to what you posted,..."as long as they win games and make the playoffs."

To be fair Dimitroff has drafted a 1st round DT, LB(SPOON) and a CB. He let Abraham go too soon maybe and acquired the washed up DE from the Giants to fill that void which didn't happen.

You know how to rile me,...that BS about it taking 3 or 4 games to get there is,...BS. We're not talking rocket science and players are expected to for one, be in shape come training camp and two they should know the damned game of football by now.

I think it's somewhat of a ploy for this coordinator to change schemes AGAIN, and try and keep his job! Of course that is speculation but the D veterans have had no consistency and he's done a substandard job IMO. Is it that he can't connect with the players?
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Head Coach Material
    dammit, you asked a question so I gotta answer it.

Here on this site it was reported a NY Jet claims "we got the best defense in the league." Some people laughed but as I told you earlier today the Jets defense will be something to deal with, and I go back to what you just posted. Ryan "connects" with his defense. Ryan reminds me of Ditka in the old days. Ryan has to have a QB like Ditka needed head band boy but their success derives from the defense. And I like that.

The Falcons are different. It's,...a process ya see.

I read yesterday about the D and it is reported that Nolan, as he has done the last couple of years, is to switch between the 3-4 and the 4-3, so other than a name it will be the same approach........."process".......how did that work last year?

They did imply that should..............."should" be able to pressure the QB!

Head Coach Material
    That type thinking don't get it(Nolan). Ryan's defense, the Seahawks defense don't say "should" at all. They damned sure get after the QB,...actually the ball. It's so simple it's ridiculous. 3-4, 4-3, remember the Cowboys 52 defense? Ya know what? It's like sex. After 10,000 years people still try to find new ways to do it. And it's not that hard to be good at something that has existed for many years, ask my last girlfriend.

The Falcons may win 10 games this season, but I can't see that happening.

HAH, the Falcons may have a chance to win 10 games, but until I see the defense perform, given our schedule, we will be lucky to win 6 games.

Are the old Falcons back? there's you a question Pen.......LOL

Head Coach Material
    Don't know about that, the old Falcons being back. What concerns me most is the lack of running backs able to carry the load and the "unknown defense." Maybe they'll be a 2014 version of the "no-name defense" maybe. I know you know who that team was. They had an ugly offense and a defense that caused turnovers.

Upper Deck, On the Rail
    If y'all can find the run game and get opportunistic on defense, 10 games is well within reach.
    How is the D-line looking? If the Dline is good, and the LB corps can get some consistency going, That will make the team go far (OMG! I just read Angerer is hurt already!!!)
    If you cannot run the ball - Teams are gonna tee off on Matty and the guys going over the middle. (i.e. 2008 Saints)
    I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. - Thomas Jefferson

Head Coach Material
    I'm afraid the new right side of the O-line will have to pass protect more than run blocking. Funny that, last season the Falcons passing game mostly used routes to the outside. The interior line for the Falcons is still suspect unless proven otherwise.

The 1st round pick from a few years ago, DT Perry has retired. Guess he's tired. The D-line will start one big name, the guy from the Giants who is washed up. I had to shake my head just then thinking what the Saints and Panthers are going to do with that Falcons defense.