NFLfans processing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vikings Sign Safety Kurt Coleman

Coach in Training

Vikings Sign Safety Kurt Coleman

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/4/...n-kurt-coleman

Vikings Sign Kurt Coleman
    By Ted Glover @purplebuckeye on Apr 14 2014, 2:59p

Finally, our long national nightmare of no former Ohio State Buckeyes on the roster is over

A little while ago, the Minnesota Vikings signed S and former Ohio State standout Kurt Coleman to a contract, the terms of which were not announced. Coleman, who was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles and spent four season there, visited Winter Park last week, but left without signing a contract.

As the Vikings head towards the draft, OTE's, and training camp, they now seem to have a fair amount of depth on the roster at safety. Coleman will presumably slide in behind Harrison Smith and Jamarca Sanford, and will compete with Mistral Raymond for a roster spot. But it's not out of the realm of possibility that Coleman could see a fair amount of playing time, if not push for a starting spot.

While in Philadelphia, Coleman started 29 of 59 games, but according to this report from Bleeding Green Nation, saw his involvement in the defense drop off last year under Chip Kelly. He has registered over 220 tackles and 7 interceptions, which doesn't seem like much, but let's put this in perspective:

It's about 200 more tackles and seven more interceptions than Chris Cook. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I'll let you decide.

But most importantly, the Vikings once again have a former Ohio State player on the roster. Let's hope he can make it to the final 53 man roster.

Coach in Training
    This late in the offseason, I have to imagine he's cheap. If that is the case, great news!

Quality depth with the potential to be a starter and develop yet.

Coach in Training
    Another article on it from Arif Hasan. To anyone unfamiliar, he's a fantastic evaluator. Best Vikings analyst out there, in my opinion.

2014 Minnesota Vikings Free Agency: Vikings Sign Former Eagles Safety Kurt Coleman
    April 14, 2014, by Arif Hasan

The Minnesota Vikings are rounding out their depth chart for veteran competition before the draft, and have signed former Philadelphia Eagles safety Kurt Coleman.

To go along with potential Pro Bowl-level talent Harrison Smith, the Vikings have Jamarca Sanford, Andrew Sendejo, Mistral Raymond, Robert Blanton and Brandan Bishop.

Sanford has played at an above-average level for the past two years, and Sendejo looks to be a rising talent. Mistral Raymond, for a short period of time, was expected to be the starter but lost out due to injury and Sanford’s higher level of play. From a depth perspective, the Vikings are in a fantastic place, a complete turnaround from three years ago.

Coleman, unfortunately, hasn’t shown the kind of talent with the Eagles (and three defensive coordinators) to leapfrog Sendejo or Sanford for a starting role, but is definitely in the mix as a depth player and special teams standout.

Drafted in 2010 in the seventh round out of Ohio State (where he almost quit after paralyzing a teammate with a tackle in practice), with the 244th pick (a year later and 11 picks later than Jamarca Sanford), and that year ended up taking starter snaps by the end of Philadelphia’s crazy season (where Michael Vick replaced Kevin Kolb) when Nate Allen suffered from a season-ending injury in Week 15. In that time, he played very well—especially as an in-the-box safety.

By the beginning of 2011, he earned the starting spot outright, but didn’t play very well—especially in coverage, per Pro Football Focus, where he graded out with a -3.4 grade. In 2012, he looked worse both in coverage and run defense, where he only graded out positively twice in 14 games. He ranked 85th out of 88 safeties.

In 2013, he lost his starting spot very quickly to Patrick Chung, who the Eagles chose not to re-sign this year (along with Coleman). In the last four years, he’s ranked 119th out of 152 safeties (with over 500 snaps) in adjusted yards per target given up and achieved a PFF grade per snap of 128th in the same set.

In the last two years, he’s ranked 102nd of 105 in grade per snap and 90th in adjusted yards per target given up. Generally speaking he’s been better against the run than the pass, but below average at both.

In all honesty, Coleman really does present a solid depth option in the right scheme and has transferable skills that may serve him better in spot duty and could beat out some players on the bottom of the roster. He has a reputation for excellent special teams play, a fantastic work ethic and a good attitude that will give him a spot in the NFL, even if it isn’t with the Vikings.

Coleman is more than a depth option, and his brain could be picked not just for information about the defensive scheme Bill Davis ran at Philadelphia but more importantly the new brand of NFL offense that Chip Kelly is running with the Eagles. This sort of insight could prove invaluable as the NFL evolves, especially as the Vikings play against the Panthers and Redskins this year.

not complaining here...but can we get some linebackers please? this further points toward our going for mack or barr in the first round. they are not touching the lb position which is a gaping hole, so it is starting to smell obvious that if mack is there we will take him, and if not we could trade down a few and grab barr.

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    Sounds like a good move for depth at safety. What I like most of all is "He has a reputation for excellent special teams play, a fantastic work ethic and a good attitude..."

I agree with massiveblack that it is shaping up to look like LB is the focus for our 1st round pick. I'm hoping Mack will be there at #8, but I don't think he will be.
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

Coach in Training
    I'd actually meant to post an article where a lot of people were speculating that the Vikings were planning to pass on QB in the first unless something completely unforeseen happened. Some people that usually have inside knowledge too. I'd imagine Mack would be the focus but Barr would be a nice consolation prize. By the sound of things Carr won't be waiting for us there in the 2nd but, Mettenberger has been getting a lot of hype from Vikings analysts. Garappolo is still there also. I wouldn't be shocked to see them wait till the 3rd round if there is tremendous value somewhere else (there probably will be). This draft is so deep we can basically get a 1st round caliber player with pick #40.

In reference to signing a linebacker, I have to admit, I'd like to see one also. My guess is that they are happy with the guys we have right now for depth and that there probably isn't anyone they really view as a desirable starter available. I'm ok with that if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by drunknmunky127 View Post
    I'd actually meant to post an article where a lot of people were speculating that the Vikings were planning to pass on QB in the first unless something completely unforeseen happened. Some people that usually have inside knowledge too. I'd imagine Mack would be the focus but Barr would be a nice consolation prize. By the sound of things Carr won't be waiting for us there in the 2nd but, Mettenberger has been getting a lot of hype from Vikings analysts. Garappolo is still there also. I wouldn't be shocked to see them wait till the 3rd round if there is tremendous value somewhere else (there probably will be). This draft is so deep we can basically get a 1st round caliber player with pick #40.

In reference to signing a linebacker, I have to admit, I'd like to see one also. My guess is that they are happy with the guys we have right now for depth and that there probably isn't anyone they really view as a desirable starter available. I'm ok with that if that is the case.

I personally like Aaron Murray from Georgia and would be thrilled with him with our 2nd 3rd rd pick.
    I like his "moxy" and he could sit behind Cassell for a year. I don't think Cassell is a great QB, but he should be able to succeed in Norv's offense !

As for LB, Mack at #8, Trade down for Mosely, Shazier, Van Noy could all be 1st -2nd rd guys we target. Lots of good players in this draft.
    Just really ready for it to get started and be able to watch all of this play out !

Season Tickets, First Deck
    Sweet I agree completely. I want Murray badly.

Coach in Training
    I'm a big fan of Murray as well. My only issue with him is that we could probably get him well beyond the 4th round. That's an enticing option if we could get a lot of value up high but, definitely risky if we chose to wait that long. I wouldn't complain too much if they hung around for AJ McCarron either. Lots of good looking second tier guys in this draft at QB.

I also like Tajh Boyd.
    Another QB with a great upside if surrounded by a solid team.
    That's what I am hoping for. Use a 1st, trade down and accumulate a few more quality picks, and then draft talent.
    Then in the 3rd, grab that QB !