• Notice: N/A
    NFLfans processing...

Thread: Zimmer on Manziel

Coach in Training

Zimmer on Manziel

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-that-come-up/

Mike Zimmer on Manziel: There are some flags that come up
    Posted by Josh Alper on March 31, 2014, 3:11 PM EDT

In Sunday morning’s one-liners, there was a link to Vikings coach Mike Zimmer talking about his feeling that Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel’s pro day workout last week was a “sideshow.”

Zimmer shared some more of his thoughts about Manziel during an appearance on 104.9 The Horn in Austin, Texas on Monday. Manziel met with the Vikings on Friday for a workout and a dinner and Zimmer said that he tried to get some information to clear up some “question marks” he had about whether Manziel was going to do what it takes to be a great player or if he wanted to be “the celebrity man guy.”

“We asked him all kinds of questions. … There are some flags that come up. All of the things that happened out in Los Angeles, the commercials and all that stuff; the position of quarterback in the NFL is such an important position and the reason these guys need to be a totally football-minded guy is the pressure of the position and being the face of an NFL team and doing everything right,” Zimmer said, via the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “That’s the thing you want to know about him — will he be into work early every single day? Will he be the last to leave? Will he be the guy that is working the hardest to get better?”

Zimmer cited Peyton Manning and Drew Brees when talking about the kind of focus — “eats, breaths, and sleeps football” — on the game that he wants to see from a quarterback and that the team has to figure out if Manziel will put in the same kind of time. There’s been a variety of opinions offered on that front since Manziel decided to enter the draft, but we don’t expect any teams to share their full opinion until Manziel’s name is called in May.
    I like where his head is at here. Not necessarily just because of the Manziel opinion but, what he's looking for. He knows what he has to get and is focused on it.

it could be smoke screens...they got dinner with him...which means they were very interested. they could be trying to get the media to buy into that and spread bad news in the hopes it drives down his hype too. i don't believe a word of anything anyone says during draft time..it is cutthroat biz time

my bet is that houston picks him though...the governor was there...bush and his wife...he is the home town hero here in texas so it is possible they will take him at number one leaving clowney to the rams or whoever trades up for him. at this point i think it more likely we end up with bridgewater if the media is to be heard through all the smoke. who knows...will see won't we soon too. can't wait.

Coach in Training
    It could be a smoke screen. I don't really take Zimmer to be much of that type though. I was actually reading another article that said he was brutally honest to a fault. Literally had a line in it saying they "don't think smoke screens are in his DNA".

Then again, could be playing tactful in his first year. Either way, I like were the guy's head is at. Straightforward with the fans about what he's looking for and what he sees in players at least.

we shall see. manziel is likely gone by the time we get there which is going to leave us barr or mack or a trade down is my guess. hopefully we have a magic year like the last one again. tick tock...