• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A
    NFLfans processing...

Thread: Vikings have about 16 million in cap room remaining

Celebrating in the 2nd Deck

Vikings have about 16 million in cap room remaining

According to Ben Goessling from ESPN, as of Mar. 14, the Vikes have about 16 million in estimated cap room left. This includes the signings of Evans, Munnerlyn, Simpson, et al.

You need to save about 5-6 million for draft picks, so it's a somewhat safe assumption that we have about 9 million in "useable" cap space.

Unfinished business:

we are still talking to-

Charlie Johnson, LG

Henry Melton, DT

Kevin Williams, DT

There is also some contract extensions that will come into play shortly. Most notable among players for 2015 I hope we sign to an extension is Kyle Rudolph, who will command a serious investment. In 2016, however, things may get tight, as Harrison Smith, Matt Kalil, Jarious Wright, Matt Cassel and Blair Walsh will be expiring. With the exception of Cassel, I would think that the Vikings would place a very high priority on retaining all of those players. Kalil and Smith would even be worth using the Franchise tag to ensure we retained them.

It's worth noting that the Vikings could free up some serious space if the renegotiated the contracts of Chad Greenway, and later, Adrian Peterson.

All in all, we are in good shape, cap-wise, but I think it may be awhile before we have 30+ million in cap room as we did this year. Barring an amazing trade, any future "franchise" type additions to this team will likely be done via the draft.

Coach in Training
    We seem to have taken care of a good amount of our serious needs already. Notable remaining needs I say would be linebacker, guard, and the obvious QB. Secondary level needs at cornerback, safety. Depth level needs at running back and defensive end. We're out of cap floor trouble which is a good thing. After signing the rookies we should be beyond that point and shouldn't have to worry about wasting money to be compliant. Things seem to be moving along smoothly.

I've gotta say, what seemed fairly dire a month ago has actually upgraded significantly. A good foundation from the past few drafts, a very productive free agency period, and we seem like we are poised to end the rebuilding period. I'm really liking how our defense is shaping up. The offense seems set already barring the QB position.

its a solid rebuild...but we have zero depth...a couple of injuries and we are facing calling antoine or jared allen (if) and begging them out of retirement. my bet is on the vikes trading down and stockpiling picks unless they add a couple more guys yet. it's going to take time for all these new faces to get on the same page but a couple years from now our d will hopefully be where it needs to be.

True, to some extent. I don't think we have depth issues right now. We have young depth that is unproven ! That's the issue.
    As for the salary cap and going forward. I sure hope that we are able to trade down a few times in the 1st and acquire a few extra 2nd rd picks. I really like the depth in this draft, really a lot of DT's in this draft and surprising that we are still entertaining the Melton idea or even resigned Evans ??? I am hoping to trade down a bit and with that being done, I am thinking that Mosely or Shazier may be targeted. I personally would hope to get Shazier. Kid can fly around the field.
    With a couple extra 2nd rd picks, I would hope to draft Yankey, Filo, or Jackson. Add a DT like Hageman, and with the 3rd 2nd rder add a CB like Roberson.
    I also would be cool with adding in the 2nd WR Odell Beckham or Kelvin Benjamin.
    This can be a draft that we add explosive playmakers as well as elite depth.
    We need this to be a solid draft.
    I actually am excited for the thought that Spielman may trade down, accumulate picks and move back into the 1st like he has done the past 2 years. Who will we target ?
    Maybe coming away with ILB Mosely and then adding OLB Shazier would be incredible !

Season Tickets, First Deck
    I was also surprised that they were interested in Melton. I understand that the Vikings need to improve their depth on the DL, but Melton is more in the top 5 starting 3-technique DT category than the backup category once he recovers from his ACL. He wouldn't come that cheaply and with all the holes the Vikings have why would they consider making such an investment when the already have their 3-technique DT of the future ... Shariff Floyd. Makes me wonder how they really feel about Floyd.

So I'm being to wonder if the Vikings don't land Melton might they be targeting a DT early in the draft. The need for DT wouldn't be as high as QB, because QB trumps all needs, but is it as high as LB, CB and G? If the number one 3 technique DT, Aaron Donald, were available would the Vikings consider taking him in the first round?

Coach in Training
    I'd heard Melton was going cheaper than most thought. Also, perhaps they were inquiring on a one year prove it deal to get him much cheaper too.

Celebrating in the 2nd Deck
    Quote Originally Posted by ovike View Post
    So I'm being to wonder if the Vikings don't land Melton might they be targeting a DT early in the draft. The need for DT wouldn't be as high as QB, because QB trumps all needs, but is it as high as LB, CB and G? If the number one 3 technique DT, Aaron Donald, were available would the Vikings consider taking him in the first round?
    I think if we traded back we might consider DT. I would still say that DT is a lesser need than LB or CB, and more on par with DE and HB as mid to late round needs. However, if a big name DT was still there and we traded into the 16-20 area, I could see Spielman jumping on that.