Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vikings sign Linval Joseph DT (age 25): 5-years $31.5 million

Coach in Training

Vikings sign Linval Joseph DT (age 25): 5-years $31.5 million

We've got a Pat Williams again

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...nesota-vikings

Linval Joseph to Vikings for $31.5M
    ESPN.com news services

The Minnesota Vikings reached agreement with defensive tackle Linval Joseph on a five-year contract worth $31.5 million, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.Joseph's deal comes one day after the Vikings re-signed defensive end Everson Griffen to a five-year deal worth $42.5 million, according to a league source.

A second-round pick by the New York Giants in 2010, Joseph is still just 25 and has been productive the past couple years. His primary responsibility as a defensive tackle in the Giants' 4-3 front has been to stop the run, and he's excelled at it. But he also has an ability to generate pressure on the quarterback from the interior of the line, recording seven sacks and two forced fumbles over the past two seasons.

Joseph missed the Giants' Week 5 game against the Eagles last season with an ankle injury but has otherwise been durable. That is the only game he has missed in the past three seasons.

Joseph said late in the season that he'd like to stay with the Giants, but he also made a reference to the five-year, $54.75 million contract defensive tackle Geno Atkins signed with the Bengals this past year to illustrate the extent to which he was looking forward to free agency.

ESPN.com Giants reporter Dan Graziano contributed to this report.

Season Tickets, First Deck
    That's great news. So the Vikings are set with their starting front four. Hopefully they can now target a CB.

Great signing. We got way younger at the line. Now I can see a corner for our round one pick. FA corners are spendy. Lets draft a couple, an O guard and a QB and a Safety. We can get all of those pieces before the end of round 4.

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    Looks like a good signing to me. Linval Joseph should fill that roll of a strong big bodied run stuffing DT we have been missing since Pat Williams retired. At age 25 he is entering his prime years too. I will miss Kevin Williams and Jared Allen, but I like the youth movement on the DL.

B Robinson - L Joseph - S Floyd - E Griffen
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

Coach in Training
    It's funny how adding that one NT can change the entire look of the front four. Those 4 guys have every bit of potential to be one of the best front-4s in the league. That was our biggest problem on defense last year. We weren't stopping the run at all and weren't generating an overwhelming pass rush like the year before. Now, I'm not sure we're going to see any 20 sack seasons under Zimmer's defense (he plans to run a run-defend-first system sort of like Tomlin did while here) but, we look vastly improved. Joseph should help free up our defensive ends and Floyd to disrupt one-on-one.

Little doubt that this will help our secondary too. I also wouldn't be surprised to see us pick someone like Justin Gilbert with our pick if we don't snag a CB in free agency. I'm still a fan of the linebackers around there though.

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    I'm still thinking LB with the first pick. I like Mack if he is gone then Barr. One of those two should still be available at #8. I like CB with in the second round. If he is stll available I like Fuller.
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to see us drop back a few spots and get #1 Dix free safety . Then #2 for Richardson OG. and Joyner cb to cover the slot. Then get Mettenberger.
    We need a free safety. Smith can do both but we need more of a free safety. Richardson would take care of the oline. Joyner can do the slot so that Robinson can go back outside .... he obviously sucks in the slot. We have quite a few linebackers. Our problems last year was on the line and the backside of the defense.

Coach in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter80 View Post
    I'm still thinking LB with the first pick. I like Mack if he is gone then Barr. One of those two should still be available at #8. I like CB with in the second round. If he is stll available I like Fuller.
    Yeah, linebacker is still high on my list too. With Mack and Mosley up there I like it a lot. Barr might be slipping but, it's hard to argue with his skill. Plenty of options at least.

Quote Originally Posted by drunknmunky127 View Post
    Two quick hitters:

Linval Joseph is 25 years old, and will turn 26 years old midway through the season. He doesnít have extraordinary statistics that you would more likely see come from an undertackle like Henry Melton or Kevin Williams, but he does plug the run extremely well. He has had 9.0 sacks in the previous three years, which is more than what fellow 1-tech and previous Vikings Pat Williams was able to do in any three-year stretch with the Vikings.

Linval Joseph is unique, in that at 328-pounds, he could have played 3-technique coming out of college. He has a good first step and is both strong and quick with a good understanding of leverage, though was weak at consistently lowering his pads coming out of East Carolina.

He is supposed to be good for a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme because of his ability to anchor, length (with astonishing 34.5″ arms) and quickness, although the Giants have almost exclusively used him in a one-gap role.

At the NFL Combine, Joseph didnít have quick 40-time, but his 10-yard dash was extremely good for a man his size (1.75 seconds) and a mind-boggling 39 reps on the bench press reinforced his reputation for strength.

Per ProFootballFocus, he ranked 21st of all DTs in both 2013 (of 69) and 2012 (of 85) with a positive grade, and in both years, ranked in the fifth of all primarily 1-technique players. This is an exciting signing for a team whose run defense suffered in large part due to having some of the worst nose tackle in play in the NFL, courtesy of recently cut DT Letroy Guion.
    Source: http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/fre...-linval-joseph

Contract Details

Five-year contract worth $31.25 million. The deal contains $12.5 million in fully guaranteed money, made up of a $3 million signing bonus, $2.4 million roster bonus, $2014 base salary, and $3.6 million of his 2015 base salary. Base salaries of the contract are $3,500,000(2014), $3,900,000(2015), $5,650,000(2016), $6,150,000(2017), and $5,150,000(2018).

Contract Analysis

This deal, which makes Joseph the NFLís 11th highest paid defensive tackle in terms of average salary, is basically a two-year/$13 million deal (or $12.8 million if Joseph skips OTAís). His dead money amount decreases from $6 million in 2015 to $1.8 million in 2016, so the Vikings will be free to cut him after the two years. Minnesota will then be able to evaluate on a year-to-year basis as to whether Joseph is worth a $6-$7 million cap hit each year.

PFF Analysis

Many consider Joseph a one-trick pony and purely a run plugger. However, considering that Joseph has spent most of his time playing the one-technique in Perry Fewellís defense, his pass rush hasnít been too bad. He has graded out positively as a pass rusher every season since entering the league. Of course, stopping the run is ultimately his strong suit and he is likely best suited as a one-technique in Mike Zimmerís 4-3 defense. Last season, Joseph graded out 15th-best against the run and 21st-best overall out of all defensive tackles who played at least 25% of their teamís snaps. The Vikings are adding a young talent with no injury history who can play multiple spots on their defenseĖall in all, itís a good value.
    Source: http://overthecap.com/otcpff-continu...gent-analysis/

Coach in Training
    Thanks for the info Niners! A pleasure as always!