• Notice: N/A
    NFLfans processing...

Thread: Vikings, among other teams, reached out to Bengals DE Michael Johnson

Season Tickets, First Deck

Vikings, among other teams, reached out to Bengals DE Michael Johnson

by Andrew Krammer
    1500ESPN.com
    http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/V...ichael_Johnson

The Minnesota Vikings have made their priorities clear on the first day of a three-day window to negotiate with other teams' unrestricted free agents. Teams can begin signing UFAs on Tuesday, March 11 at 3 p.m. CT.

According to 1500ESPN.com contributor Darren Wolfson, the Vikings have contacted defensive end Michael Johnson, who played under first-year Vikings coach Mike Zimmer in Cincinnati.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***
    Twitter
    Darren Wolfson @DarrenWolfson
    Follow
    The #Vikings have also called, as widely expected, on Bengals DE Michael Johnson. Told they are open to both him and Griffen (a priority).
    6:18 PM - 8 Mar 2014
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ***

One source told Wolfson that Johnson has 'lots of suitors,' which is widely expected for one of the top defensive ends available in free agency. The Bengals elected not to franchise tag Johnson again after he played under the tag last season.

The Vikings are open to bringing back defensive end Everson Griffen, who made less than $1 million in the final year of his rookie deal in 2013. It's likely the Vikings face stiff competition for Griffen's services.

The Vikings also reached out to Tennessee Titans cornerback Alterraun Verner on Saturday, along with the St. Louis Rams and New York Jets.

Season Tickets, First Deck
    It would be nice if the Vikings could land all three. It would certainly give them a lot of flexibility during the draft.

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    I would love it if we could land DE Michael Johnson and resign DE Everson Griffen too. I don't think will happen though. If we do sign Johnson then Griffen would be coming back to play the rotation/backup guy for the Vikings. If that is the case then I think Griffen is gonna want to test the market and look to goto a team that wants him to come in and start. Just my gut feeling on that. I would love to have both though.

Not sure how I feel about CB Verner. I think he is a very good corner, but if he is gonna be commanding a 10+ mil a year contract like I've been hearing I'm not sure I want to lock up that much salary in him. I'd rather seen them bring in a FA like CB Walter Thurmond for less money for depth and address CB in the draft too. I like Fuller as a possible 2nd rounder.

Another FA I would really like to see the Vikings take a look at is S Malcolm Jenkins. Like Thurmond he won't command top dollar, but I think he would be a definite improvement to our team.
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

Coach in Training
    I agree on the rotational thing for Griffen. He's earned a shot and he knows it. I don't see him coming back if it is for a rotational role. I could handle us missing out on him if they get Johnson but, I think I'd actually rather have Griffen. Familiarity and price are a big thing there but, I really think he's going to blow up when he gets a chance to start. He was very successful as a backup and it one of the best athletes on the field every day.

On the other hand, one thing to consider with this whole offseason is that we have ~$40million in capspace before the Cassel signing and need to get to the cap floor so, we need to spend money. Kyle Rudolph might receive a contract extension (which would help in that sense) but, we have a long way to go which makes me think we sign at least one premier player. Verner would be my choice there since I think we need a CB most of all. Depends on the price though. He's worth a lot (and the cap is skyrocketing over the next couple years) but, there is a reason Revis can't seem to stay on a team. When you start getting over $10million/year at anything but QB you are in dangerous territory. Verner is only 25 and established which makes me a bit more comfortable but, anything over that range is still scary.