Thread: He's finally gone

Head Coach Material

He's finally gone

He was a decent center unless a big DT was pushing him into the QB's lap. He could call the line assignments like no other center but at 3rd and goal from the 2 yard line it was usually a jailbreak up the middle. Last season there's no doubt he never weighed anywhere close to 300 lbs. Looked more like 275 to me.

LG Blaylock goes 330 and there's been several RGs to go through and all played good considering they had no help from the center position.

But he's gone now.

Some Falcons fans get sick of me always harping on this recent weakness in pass and run blocking. It was the center! Now there's two young players that will see lots of game time either at center or RG and they've been around for a couple seasons.

O-line isn't the most glamorous position but if nothing else there has been upgrades.

Watch for the run game early in the season.

Upper Deck, On the Rail
    Bbbbbut most centers are not the bid maulers.
    Most of them are nimble for pulling and rolling to the QB throwing side.

Don't you usually want your big nasty's lined up on the other positions since the Center gets a bit of a break anyway with contact rules?
    I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. - Thomas Jefferson

Head Coach Material
    Might not be up on the rules but I thought only long snappers on punts and kicks were off limits. It is a fact the Falcons offense has struggled against 3-4 defenses. I maintain it's because the nose guard is staright up on the center, usually, maybe set off to one shoulder or the other but still the center must account for the guy. And you're right about one thing! Sometimes the center has noone to block because of stunts and twists in the interior D-line. The Saints have a new D-coor and we'll see some of that this Fall I bet.

Back in 2009 I wanted the Falcons to trade up and draft C Alex Mack. They instead traded a high pick to acquire Tony Gonzales. The mere presence of Gonzales dictated and still dictates the Falcons offense. Mack was a Pro-Bowler in his second season as a Brown.

Hey,...bbbbbbut,...no one is talking NFC South football. All the attention now is with the Cowboys, Redskins, Bengals and Ravens.

Todd McClure will be remembered as a great Falcons center. But he cost more games to losses than I can count. He was, like they say, "a necessary evil."

We'll see if Matt Ryan has more time to throw this season. If not, it'll be a long season.

Quote Originally Posted by Penumbra View Post

Hey,...bbbbbbut,...no one is talking NFC South football. All the attention now is with the Cowboys, Redskins, Bengals and Ravens.
    I hear about the NFC East and West all the time. Not much chatter about the North or South.

While I realize Seattle and SF are exciting and people want to know about Romo's contract, RGIII's injury, and Kelly's offense, overlooking the South and North is a huge mistake.

Rogers, Stafford, Cutler, Ryan, Brees, Newton, and at times Freeman-that is tought to beat.
    Nolledge is Pouer.

Head Coach Material
    AMEN,...our division, if I may make a prediction, will see the fall of the Patriots and the Seahawks. Meaning the NFC South is not playing around and will be a force to be sure. All 4 teams.

Notice I said "our" division.