• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A
    NFLfans processing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Webb on his move to receiver: 'It can be a good thing'

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    Web may be switching to WR, but he does have some experience at WR just not at the NFL level. His experience at QB will make his transition to WR much easier. Reading defenses and knowing what the QB will be expecting from him will make it easier to get on the same page as Ponder. His biggest learning curve will be with the finer points of route running and setting up defenders. If he can get upto speed on that quickly he has the athletic ability to be very dangerous.
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

i think the only time I saw Webb play a full game was the last game against Green Bay. Nothing from that game told me he has a clue how to read a defense. But again I don't want to condemn him for just one game. But it was clear after that game the coaching staff gave up on him as a potential NFL QB. And they didn't feel it was because of a weak arm....

But as I said earlier, this is a great oppty for him as we are still very light at the WR position. But lets not get ahead of ourselves, if it was so apparent he was a stud WR, considering how weak we've been at this position the last couple of years, the coaching staff would have moved him a long time ago....rather than having him stand on the sidelines watching Ponder struggle.

Good point Red, but I think he can make it happen.
    You learn the game so much better when having to coach it, or at least be the mentor ! I will be drafting him as a sleeper in my FF leagues

Coach in Training
    I don't really believe that a players ability to diagnose a defense while running the offense at QB is a good read of how well he could do it elsewhere. Most of the QB -> WR converts over the year were out of read option offenses and plenty essentially just ran out of the box to start the play. They either threw to the first guy they saw or took care of it with their feet.

Plenty of those guys have been successful. In my experience watching Webb, he's shown more ability than many of those guys in that aspect even. I don't think it will really affect him in the move. It's the QB's responsibilities to get everyone lined up and whatnot. The WR's need to diagnose is on a much smaller and focused level.

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    That is the point I was tring to make. He wasn't successfull at QB, but the knowledge he gained from that experience translates well to WR. Its not like he is tring to switch from DT to WR. He isn't starting completely from scratch.
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

all they have to do is get him some of ponders dump passes and he is golden. I have been waiting for webb to get his shot on the field with the ball in his hands and not having to act like a qb for three years....

GO VIKES

Me too Massive, me too !
    I cannot wait to see him get a quick slandt or a hitch and then go.
    He could be electric on bubble screens. Actually he and CP.
    He has shown great hands thus far at camp from what I have read. Maybe he can also be that skinny post guy, the 9 route guy, and definitely a red zone threat.
    He has the explosiveness, so its not like he's a guy that is slow at the start and then gets up to speed.
    Cannot wait to see how he does.

Coach in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter80 View Post
    That is the point I was tring to make. He wasn't successfull at QB, but the knowledge he gained from that experience translates well to WR. Its not like he is tring to switch from DT to WR. He isn't starting completely from scratch.
    True, I was also trying to highlight that some of his downfalls at QB shouldn't be read as a direct translation. The different perspective could only help but a lack of perspective at the other position doesn't translate to the new position in a further derogatory sense.

Like you said, the other perspective helps ease the transition for many players. I just wanted to add that a lack of success at the other position doesn't really take away from that though.

Moving Joe Webb to wide receiver is worth a shot

VikesCentric: Moving Joe Webb to wide receiver is worth a shot
    Posted by: Bo Mitchell Updated: May 20, 2013 - 1:48 PM
    25 commentsprint

I like the Vikings new uniforms for the most part. I really like the look of their new Fortress of Solitude, er… I mean, stadium. I think they did a bang-up job in the draft. And I think they are making a wise move with Joe Webb.

Webb is not an NFL quarterback. This much has been clear for quite some time – certainly long before the Vikings fell to the Packers in their playoff game at Lambeau that featured an overmatched Webb filling in for Christian Ponder.

Webb has neither the accuracy nor decision-making skills required to be a signal caller at the highest level. And when it comes to playing quarterback I'd rank those two attributes first and second in importance. You can get by with marginal arm strength and size or lackluster mobility – none of which are a problem for Webb – but if you can't decide quickly what to do with the ball and get it precisely where you need to get it, you simply can't succeed as an NFL quarterback.

In drafting Webb (a quarterback from UAB) in 2010 the Vikings saw a gifted athlete with plus running and jumping ability – a real threat in the open field. Their hunch was that he might have what it takes to play wide receiver – a position he played in 2007 – in the NFL. The wide receiver experiment was short-lived, however, and Joe was transitioned back to quarterback. The Vikings subsequently dabbled with him in the blazer package and, in short, really weren't sure what to do with him.

To his credit, Webb has maintained an "I'll do whatever the coaches want me to do, play wherever they want me to play-attitude" throughout the positional back-and-forth.

When the Vikings signed Matt Cassel in March, the writing on the wall was clear for Webb: he was no longer a Vikings quarterback. The poorly-kept secret was recently confirmed by Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier. Webb is now working full-time on becoming a wideout, to which I say: why not?

The Vikings might as well give it one last shot with Webb. He's not a quarterback so the only thing they could do besides trying wide receiver would be release him. I say give him one more shot at wide receiver or kick returner or something – see what he can do with all that running ability. If it doesn't work out during training camp, so be it. At least the possibility was investigated.

While I'm not expecting big things from Webb as a wide receiver, he has a better chance of making a career for himself as a wideout than he does a quarterback. He definitely knows how to run and make people miss when he has the ball in his hands. Of course, that's where the tricky part comes in: getting the ball is his giant hands.

During his first go-round at playing wide receiver, Webb displayed average hands at best and questionable route-running skills – two rather significant issues. However, I would argue that it is easier to improve on catching and route-running than it is to improve on the skills requisite of becoming an NFL quarterback. Thus, I like what the Vikings are doing here.

There will be times where Webb runs a poor route or drops a ball that should have been caught, but those will be easier to stomach and less damaging than errant throws and poor quarterbacking decisions. I know; it's the lesser of two evils argument, which is kind of sad. But it works in this instance.

If in the end Webb develops into a fourth or fifth wide receiver and/or kick returner capable of occasionally busting a big play, it will have been worth it. The Vikings need all the receivers and big plays in the passing game that they can get. And if it doesn't work out for Webb at wide receiver this summer, they Vikings can part ways with him knowing full-well they tried everything to tap into his substantial athletic ability.