Thread: Pope Francis Wow!

Pope Francis Wow!

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.”
    of the Vatican Radio website

so did the pope just say that athiests go to heaven if they do good? LOL no faith in Christ and no repentence of sin? 2000 years and all scripture right down the drain? nice hire vatican city! last days are closing in!:byex:

Quote Originally Posted by AFL12 View Post
    "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.”
    of the Vatican Radio website

so did the pope just say that athiests go to heaven if they do good? LOL no faith in Christ and no repentence of sin? 2000 years and all scripture right down the drain? nice hire vatican city! last days are closing in!:byex:
    I don't think that's what he said, but I must admit I have been shaking my head at some of his quips lately.

Listen, I am not Catholic but I love this guy and admire his humility and the way he scoffs at pompous tradition. But it's becoming apparent that his political views are pretty questionable (i.e. LEFTIST) and I hope he keeps it to himself.

Atheists Are Still Going to Hell, Says Vatican Spokesman

By Leonardo Blair , CP Contributor
    May 27, 2013|6:11 pm

(Photo: Reuters/Tony Gentile)
    Pope Francis embraces a child as he leads a mass in Saint Peter's Square at the Vatican May 19, 2013.

A Vatican spokesman clarified on Thursday that atheists are still going to hell despite Pope Francis' homily last week that pointed out doing good wasn't just confined to the faith community and even atheists, despite their views, are able to do good as well.

"Doing good," the pope explained in his homily last Wednesday, is not a matter of faith: "It is a duty, it is an identity card that our Father has given to all of us, because He has made us in His image and likeness. And He does good, always."

But in an "explanatory note on the meaning of 'salvation,'" the Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman highlighted that being "good" alone is not enough to be saved. People who know about the Catholic Church, he explained, "cannot be saved" if they "refuse to enter her or remain in her."

In his homily last week, Pope Francis pointed out that everyone, including atheists, has been redeemed by Christ and people can all work together through the "culture of encounter" to do good.

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone!" said Pope Francis.

"If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. 'But I don't believe, Father, I am an atheist!' But do good: we will meet one another there."

In a USA Today report last Thursday, many American nonbelievers expressed surprise but also welcomed the comments from Pope Francis acknowledging that having no faith doesn't mean that someone is pure evil.

"We are a community that is just trying to do good and live good lives, just like most communities are," Greg Epstein, Harvard University's Humanist chaplain and author of Good Without God told USA Today. "His statement is an acknowledgment of that. It is welcome and it is gratifying."

Alluding to the atheist woman who quietly declared her position to CNN's Wolf Blitzer after he asked her if she wanted to thank God for surviving the recent tornado, Epstein said he was struck by her response.

"You have this small example of this soft-spoken young mother who is recovering from the tornado who by her presence, her quiet dignity, not only exemplified what the pope was saying, but overshadowed him," Epstein said. "The quiet dignity of her just being a person and so clearly a good and loving person, it makes my reaction, and I would think a lot of people's reaction (to Francis' remarks), 'Well, of course.'"

Dale McGowan, who runs the Foundation Beyond Belief, also received the pope's comments as an affirmation of nonbelievers.

"Anything that decreases the mistrust and fear between people is a good thing," he said. "Some people might say it contradicts past statements (of other popes), but I don't care about any of that. It is terrific when a position evolves to where we can put division behind us, and this is an example of that and I think it is great."

they need to change the wording from good to perfect. God's good is way different than our good and the word gets corrupted and diluted by man's egotistical salutes to himself

btw humanistic chaplan?? LMAO what a crock of dung

Quote Originally Posted by AFL12 View Post
    they need to change the wording from good to perfect. God's good is way different than our good and the word gets corrupted and diluted by man's egotistical salutes to himself
    It's not a new concept that God uses everything. Recall the brothers of Joseph and how they meant it for evil, but God used it for good. The thing is, there are tons of "nice" people who will not be saved, but also plenty of SOBs who think they are even though there's no fruit to prove it. In addition, the Kingdom is both now and "not yet".

I don't think (hope?) that the new Pope was endorsing Universal Reconciliation (UR), a la The Shack.

btw humanistic chaplan?? LMAO what a crock of dung
    Yeah, oxymoron but not as bad as Marxist Christian. LOL

Assistant Coach
    I will let G-d choose for himself who enters and who doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    I will let G-d choose for himself who enters and who doesn't.
    its one of the difficult doctrines which liberals hate, and a lot of Christians argue over..God chooses who will hear the gospel..he that has ears let him hear. not because of our good works or good looks, but by his grace..but God is infinate and anyone who wants to hear it will hear it, that's a miracle where a soverign God and a perfect statisticly and natural reality meet in perfect balance. its not unfair because no one deserves salvation and eternal life, every living thing deserves to die a natural death, its exactly what every atheist expects when their eyes shut for the last time...eternal nothingness. it is strictly the grace of God which saves some of his own choice, his devine charity

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves. It is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast."

- Ephesians 2
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 11-23-2014 at 09:49 PM.