Ed Anzalone steps down as Fireman Ed but not as a Jets fan

Fireman Ed quits as New York Jets' Unofficial Mascot By Dan Hanzus, Around the League Writer Nov. 25, 2012 09:50 p.m.

Fireman Ed is no more at New York Jets games.

In a guest column for Metro New York real name: Ed Anzalone explained that confrontations with fans at MetLife Stadium, not the Jets' epic struggles during a blowout loss to the New England Patriots on Thanksgiving night, led to his premature exit from his section.

Anzalone said barbs from unruly fans have become a common occurence, with many people under the mistaken impression that he's on the Jets' payroll. Because of this, he no longer will attend Jets games as Fireman Ed.

Listen, I went through the Rich Kotite era -- we were 4-28 in that era. Any Jets fan knows this isn't the worst of times; it isn't close. It's been about the nastiness. I just think society in general -- you're out in your car, there's no respect at all. I don't want to put up with that from people taking it out on me anymore.

For decades, Anzalone has led the famous "J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets" chant at the Meadowlands.

I'm sure there will be somebody else that takes over. I wasn't the originator of the chant and I won't be the last one. It's got to end.

Anzalone said he hadn't informed the Jets of his decision.

I'm not on their payroll. I don't owe the Jets anything.

...for now, consider this another ridiculous subplot in another lost Jets season.
- http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...fficial-mascot