• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A
    NFLfans processing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News of the century: Joe Webb is now a WR!

News of the century: Joe Webb is now a WR!

Didn't see that coming, did ya?

Joe Webb will switch to wideout for Minnesota Vikings

By Kareem Copeland
    Around the League Writer
    Published: April 14, 2013 at 12:10 p.m.
    Updated: April 14, 2013 at 03:13 p.m.

The signing of Matt Cassel has allowed the Minnesota Vikings to admit what many of us already knew: Joe Webb is not an NFL-caliber quarterback.

With Cassel backing up Christian Ponder, the team can move Webb to receiver and better utilize his athleticism.

"(Webb) is such a talented athlete that we want to make sure that we're doing the right thing by him and our team, as well," coach Leslie Frazier told The Star Tribune. "That's something we'll continue to discuss as we go forward."

Webb played quarterback at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, but he was drafted to play receiver. The quarterback experiment turned into full-time duty and he became the primary backup last season.

That experiment appears to be over. Now, Webb has the opportunity to make a successful contribution -- at a position of need, with Percy Harvin's departure -- for the Vikings.

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.

Now we'll get to see if he can catch the ball. From what I've read, his hands are ok, not great. So we'lll see. But certainly concentrating on one position is the right way to go.

Finally !!! And Yesss ! Now we have a big threat at WR with SERIOUS Speed and Size!
    Can he transition to WR ? Ask Hines Ward and so many other former QBs if they can do it.
    He already knows the routes, where WRs should be, what they are looking for against certain defenses, and I hope that he can make that transition and then most importantly... Catch the Damn ball !!! Please Joe Webb.

Physically, he may be one of the most imposing WRs in the game if he can transition quickly. Apparently George Stewart is an expert and this could be his defining prodigy !

Season Tickets, First Deck
    Lol sweet lets not get too hasty here. I just want to see him catch the ball and move on from there. I think it is the right thing to do. He obviously is not and NFL caliber QB. I like the comparison to Hines Ward. It would be spectacular if he was half the WR Hines was. He has more speed and size. Could be exciting to watch this kid grow or we could just get laughed at more by packer fans.

Coach in Training
    About time!

I wouldn't expect much of him this year but, a season or two and he might be an imposing option.

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    I'm excited to see Webb make the switch to WR. He has the physical tools to be a great WR assuming he can catch the ball. His experience at QB should translate well to WR with understanding routes, what a QB expects from the WRs and understanding opposing defences. I just hope his "failure" at QB does screw with his head and his confidence. In highsight I wish they had made the switch to WR straight out of college like originally planned. Hopefully he an become a bigger and faster Hines Ward. :-)
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carter80 View Post
    I'm excited to see Webb make the switch to WR. He has the physical tools to be a great WR assuming he can catch the ball. His experience at QB should translate well to WR with understanding routes, what a QB expects from the WRs and understanding opposing defences. I just hope his "failure" at QB does screw with his head and his confidence. In highsight I wish they had made the switch to WR straight out of college like originally planned. Hopefully he an become a bigger and faster Hines Ward. :-)
    That would be nice!

Season Tickets, First Deck
    With Webb moving to WR it now leaves the Vikings with 3 QBs on their roster. I now think there is a good possibility that they will select a QB somewhere along the way in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by ovike View Post
    With Webb moving to WR it now leaves the Vikings with 3 QBs on their roster. I now think there is a good possibility that they will select a QB somewhere along the way in the draft.
    Why do we need 4 QBs on the roster?

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    If a QB projected to go in the mid rounds slips into the late rounds I could see them taking a QB. Bring in potential late round "steal" to compete with McLeod Bethel-Thompson for the 3rd QB spot and try to slip the loser of that battle onto the pratice squad. But, if the value isn't there I don't see them taking a QB.
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!