Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

March 21, 2013 10:28 PM

(Source:FAU) FAU Boca Raton campus

BOCA RATON (CBS4) – A student at Florida Atlantic University said he was unfairly suspended from his Intercultural Communications class because he refused to step on Jesus.

Ryan Rotella, a junior from Coral Springs, said the incident began when his professor, Dr. Deandre Poole, asked students in the class to write the word “Jesus” on a piece of paper, fold it up, and step on it.

Rotella, a deeply religious Mormon, told CBS12 that he was offended and refused to participate in the exercise.

“Anytime you stomp on something it shows that you believe that something has no value. So if you were to stomp on the word Jesus, it says that the word has no value,” said Rotella.

Rotella said he voiced his concerns to his teacher’s supervisor and later learned he was suspended from the class.

FAU said Dr. Poole was conducting a classroom exercise from a textbook entitled “Intercultural Communication: A Contextual Approach, 5th Edition” and released this statement to CBS12: ”Faculty and students at academic institutions pursue knowledge and engage in open discourse. While at times the topics discussed may be sensitive, a university environment is a venue for such dialogue and debate.”

The school has not commented whether the professor would face any disciplinary action.
    Source: WPEC

Absolutely disgusting, just the worst kind of vile, in your face bigotry imaginable. I can't believe this is happening in my country. There has always been an underlying contempt for Christianity on the left, but this is where Cultural Marxism has brought us, to a point where overt bigotry against Christians is socially acceptable, the last form of bigotry that is not only accepted, but encouraged. Hollywood engages in it all the time and has been for decades, now its gone mainstream and its getting more and more vicious.

There definitely needs to be a pushback against this whole movement. I think the intelligent way to do this is not fighting this head on, making it a battle between Leftists vs. Christians & Jews. I would frame this a battle between immorality and morality, because morality is something all cultures have in common and it transcends religious systems even.

There is no moral system in the world that advocates lying, stealing, theft, murder, etc. There is no moral system in the world that advocates giving up personal responsibility for your actions and treating other people poorly. There is no moral system in the world that advocates breaking up a family, disrespecting your elders and community. And so on.

Assistant Coach
    Just imagine if he wrote the name Mohammed and them stepped on it, their would be riots across the Middle East.

Im still thinking "this can't be real" has the doc (laughing) said what he was trying to accomplish with the elementry exercise?

here's the scary part from FAU, ”Faculty and students at academic institutions pursue knowledge and engage in open discourse. While at times the topics discussed may be sensitive, a university environment is a venue for such dialogue and debate.”

so absolutely anything goes, ... is there a course in middle aged guys screwing a hot young female prof????

Update: University Takes Action to Punish Student

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...-on-jesus.html

University Takes Action to Punish Student
    Mar 25, 2013

By Todd Starnes

A Florida Atlantic University student who filed a complaint against his professor after he was ordered to stomp on the name of Jesus has been brought up on academic charges by the school and may no longer attend class, according to documents obtained by Fox News.

FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR CULTURE WAR NEWS. CLICK HERE TO JOIN!

The “Notice of Charges” against Ryan Rotela is contrary to a statement the university released late Friday night saying no one had been disciplined as a result of the classroom activity.

“We can confirm that no student has been expelled, suspended or disciplined by the university as a result of any activity that took place during this class,” the university said in a prepared statement.

However, according to a letter written by Associate Dean Rozalia Williams, Rotela is facing a litany of charges – including an alleged violation of the student code of conduct, acts of verbal, written or physical abuse, threats, intimidation, harassment, coercion or other conduct which threaten the health, safety or welfare of any person.”

“In the interim, you may not attend class or contact any of the students involved in this matter – verbally or electronically – or by any other means,” Williams wrote to Rotela. “Please be advised that a Student Affairs hold may be placed on your records until final disposition of the complaint.”

Hiram Sasser, director of litigation at the Liberty Institute , told Fox News the university’s behavior is “outlandish” and called their press release “inaccurate.”

“We believe the university punished him in retaliation for him exposing the class assignment to the public,” Sasser said. “Sadly, it is a testimony to the indoctrination that some of the public schools and universities are engaging in – to demonize anything that was valuable in the culture.”

The Liberty Institute wants Rotela reinstated with full credit for the course – along with an apology.

“He’s being punished because he told the professor to never do the assignment again because it’s offensive and that he was going to complain to the university,” he said.

Rotela, a devout Mormon, ran afoul of the university after he refused to participate in a classroom assignment that involved writing the name “Jesus” on a piece of paper – and then stomping on it.

The university initially defended the Christ-bashing lesson which is included textbook titled, “Intercultural Communication: A Contextual Approach, 5th Edition.”

Fox News obtained a synopsis of the lesson taught by Deandre Poole, who also happens to be vice chair of the Palm Beach County Democratic Party.

“Have the students write the name JESUS in big letters on a piece of paper,” the lesson reads. “Ask the students to stand up and put the paper on the floor in front of them with the name facing up. Ask the students to think about it for a moment. After a brief period of silence instruct them to step on the paper. Most will hesitate. Ask why they can’t step on the paper. Discuss the importance of symbols in culture.”

The university issued an apology late Friday after a national uproar and said the exercise “will not be used again.”

Rotela told Fox News he was baffled by the university’s latest statement.

“The university has a huge problem with integrity,” he said. “They are tripping over their own words.”

The “Notice of Charges” accused the student of using threatening language. The school did not return calls seeking clarification. Rotela’s attorney said he believes the perceived threat came when Rotela told the teacher “don’t do that again” – in reference to stomping on the paper. The student also told the instructor, “You’ll be hearing from me.”

Florida Atlantic University also denied that anyone was forced to participate in the assignment.

“Contrary to some media reports, no students were forced to take part in the exercise; the instructor told all of the students in the class that they could choose whether or not to participate,” the university stated.

Sasser said Rotela’s case has generated national outrage and a number of high-profile attorneys have offered to volunteer their services.

“The textbook reveals the agenda,” he said. “So-called intellectual enlightenment is stomping on everything that has held western civilization together for the past 2,000 years.”

Paul Kengor, the executive director of the Center for Vision and Values at Grove City College , told Fox News he’s not surprised by the classroom lesson.

“These are the new secular disciples of ‘diversity’ and ‘tolerance’ – empty buzzwords that make liberals and progressives feel good while they often refuse to tolerate and sometimes even assault traditional Christian and conservative beliefs,” Kengor said.

Kengor said classes like the one at Florida Atlantic University demonstrate the contempt many public institutions hold for people of faith.

“It also reflects the rising confidence and aggression of the new secularists and atheists, especially at our sick and surreal modern universities,” he said.

The university did not explain why students were only instructed to write the name of Jesus – and not the name of Mohammed or another religious figure.

“Gee, I wonder if the instructor would dare do this with the name of Mohammed,” Kengor wondered.

Rotela told Fox News he has been overwhelmed by the support he’s received from Christians across the nation.

“The response and support I have gotten has been beautiful and uplifting,” he said. “I have never seen such a strong wave of Christians thank me for this. Looking back – the whole incident was one of the best and worst moments of my life.”

Sarah Palin, Mark Levin and Sean Hannity say you need to get Todd’s latest book – “Dispatches From Bitter America.” Click here to get your copy!

Three little anecdotes;

At my first job out of college I worked on a team with a devout Muslim from Northern Africa and a "reformed" white supremacist ex-con, how he got the job I will never know (I am Jewish by the way).

I made a foot stool for us to use and I put our names on it. The Muslim guy was named Mohammed, and after writing his name on the foot stool I realized that he might take offense to putting his feet or having other people put their feet on the "prophets" name. I asked him for his input, as I did not want to offend him, and he laughed at me and said there was no issue and it was not a problem at all. He thanked me for making us a foot stool to use.

On another occasion we had a contest around the office where teams were decorating their areas as a part of some Asian heritage month or some other corporate cultural crap. It was readily apparent that very few people in the office knew anything about Asia, as almost everyone made Hawaiian or Tiki themed decorations so we decided to do something a little more interesting; the three of us made our area into a Buddhist temple. That is one of the best memories I have; a Jew, a Muslim and a christian reformed skin head making a Buddhist temple together as a team. It was awesome and no, nobody complained or had a pity party about it either. I am not sure we could get away with that anymore; someone would probably file a complaint these days.

At that same company (keep in mind this is a major multinational corporation) during veterans day, they decorated the office with toy soldiers and aircraft, etc. I started looking closer and I noticed that they bought Japanese and Nazi aircraft as well as some of the toy soldiers wearing the enemies uniform. It blew my mind that I was the first person to complain. The head of HR was a former Marine who did not believe me when I told him about the issue and proceeded to accuse me of not being patriotic and called me "un-american"; that is when I demanded that he walk out with me and look for himself. He never apologized to me but they were taken down before I could blink. I also found out after the fact that his office was responsible for putting them up in the first place. He probably did not want to believe me and was very embarrassed after I showed him he was wrong. I never went over his head for him to be punished (the way he treated me was wrong, but not worth possibly ruining a mans career, a man with kids and a family) and he never apologized to me or showed any sign that he was wrong.

Maybe there are parallels, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by AFL12 View Post
    Im still thinking "this can't be real" has the doc (laughing) said what he was trying to accomplish with the elementry exercise?

here's the scary part from FAU, ”Faculty and students at academic institutions pursue knowledge and engage in open discourse. While at times the topics discussed may be sensitive, a university environment is a venue for such dialogue and debate.”

so absolutely anything goes, ... is there a course in middle aged guys screwing a hot young female prof????
    Close. In Prager's new book, he chronicles an incident where a professor had a young woman masturbate with a vibrator to illustrate the orgasmic climax of human sexuality. The University defended the prof and made no apologies, stating simply that it's their duty to "push the boundaries" and "stir up controversy" to get kids to "think for themselves" (lmao!), or some BS like that.

Good stories to illustrate a point AZJF. People from different backgrounds and viewpoints can genuinely respect each other and work together.

Yeah, there is no shortage of those trendy "COEXIST" bumper stickers (which come off to me as pretty cold and pragmatic, but I digress). The problem is they are here in the US where we don't really have the issues it protests. Try putting that thing on your car in the Arab world and see what happens.