Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Systems thinking

Very good post IBG.

What's different about organizations like military & law enforcement special operations units, Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc. is that the organizational culture attracts excellent people who in turn reinforce the company culture.

"Silo Mentalities" seem to be a part of many organizations once they reach a certain size.

I have a number friends and colleagues who work in intelligence in the military or are retired from military intelligence. They have complained about the silo mentality that exists between intelligence in the different branches and even between different intelligence foci within a branch; ie. human, signals, imagery etc. The problem might be getting better or it might be getting worse as we outsource more and more of our military intelligence to contractors. (I might be taking a job with one of these contractors soon!, that is if I am willing to move to VA lol)

Up until now I have been working for a small company (5 total employees) and now that I have changed gears I am once again being exposed to silo-ism and it's inefficiencies. That small company ran so smoothly, everyone communicated and it was awesome.

Are companies like Google, Microsoft or Apple really immune? What is it about their organization structures that have kept them going? Or is it just our perception that they are immune?

Here is a pretty interesting article about how a Police captain made some radical structural changes within his department to eliminate some of the issues related to the "Silo mentality";

http://www.pegasuscom.com/levpoints/tristanint.html

I know that one of the solutions that is being experimented with in hospitals is applying the Toyota manufacturing system to patient care;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20078919

Very interesting topic.

The silo mindset arises when organizations view resources as limited and they have to claim credit for their work to get noticed in order to get more resources. It also comes from mistrusting other organizations even though they may be sister units.

In some of the organizations I mentioned, the structure is nonhierarchical. They know that the man on the ground is the most important element of the organization. They believe good ideas can come from anywhere and they are mission oriented. They believe in finding solutions, not in placing blame. Basically it's the opposite of what you find in most organizations today.