• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A
    NFLfans processing...

Thread: Report: Former Viking Daunte Culpepper facing foreclosure

Report: Former Viking Daunte Culpepper facing foreclosure

Report: Former Viking Daunte Culpepper facing foreclosure
    Posted by: Mark Craig under Vikings, Lions, NFC, Brad Childress, Brad Childress Updated: March 16, 2013 - 4:41 PM 47 comments print share

Former Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper has been named in a foreclosure lawsuit over his 9,867-square foot home in South Florida's Broward County, according to the South Florida Business Journal.

Culpepper, a former All-Pro who finished runner-up to Peyton Manning in the 2004 NFL MVP voting, also has a lawsuit against him for failure to pay home association dues in the gated community. According to the report, the house is not Culpepper's main residence.

In 2003, Culpepper signed a 10-year, $102 million deal with the Vikings. He didn't earn the entire $102 million, but did get a $16 million signing bonus and play through four of the 10 seasons.

A devastating knee injury at Carolina in 2005 changed his career forever. In 2006, he clashed with then-new coach Brad Childress and the Vikings over his rehab and his contract. He was traded to Miami before the season. The Dolphins restructured his contract and gave him a $7 million signing bonus.

Although Culpepper met his goal of returning from knee surgery for the start of the 2006 season, he played only four games and was released. He later played for Oakland and Detroit. His last NFL season was 2010 with the Lions.

If only there were professionals who could manage someone's money for them. Or someone to take control of all of their accounts.

My money is easy to manage...I don't have any.

I recall after Culpepper signed his long-term $100myn deal, shortly after he realized there was very little gteed money, and the contract was heavily back-end loaded...i.e....most of the money he was never going to see. So he fired his agent (which was logical) and then decided the only person qualified to respresent him was....him!

And that should tell you all you need to know about Culpepper....

Coach in Training
    Yeah, professional athletes are good with money.

It irritates me when some people give them the "whoa is me" act too. Those poor unfortunate souls. If I was given $1 million today, I'm confident I could get by without ever needing to work for the rest of my life if I had to, let alone not being able to pay for my house by the age of 40. I have a really hard time feeling bad for people that seem to forget that they still have to fund their existence beyond the immediate future.

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    He won't get any sympathy from me. It amazes me just how many pro athletes are stupid with their money. Live within your means and plan for the future. Who really needs a 9,867 sf second home in an expensive gated community? What a DUMB ASS!!!!!!
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

Coach in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter80 View Post
    He won't get any sympathy from me. It amazes me just how many pro athletes are stupid with their money. Live within your means and plan for the future. Who really needs a 9,867 sf second home in an expensive gated community? What a DUMB ASS!!!!!!
    I mean, I can understand some circumstances where things are entirely unforeseen but, like you said, this is just kind of ridiculous. Usually, permanently losing your job is a good sign to start spending money in a bit more responsible fashion.

Some friends of mine back when the NFL started implementing league orientation for rookies along with that financial responsibility class thought that that was stupid. It really isn't. It's obvious NFL players struggle with money and lose concept of personal responsibility. It's a yearly thing where another batch of former star football players surface that have gone broke and seem to struggle with surviving in basic society.