• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A
    NFLfans processing...

Thread: Cornerback discussion

Coach in Training

Cornerback discussion

I figure a pretty relevant thread. Without Winfield we pretty much need to draft one fairly early. Even with him, it wouldn't be a shocking decision.

The good news about this year is that it seems to be a relatively deep year for big, fast athletes that are willing to tackle.

I'm just now diving into some reading but, there seems to be a good range of value in the 2nd and 3rd round area for us.

Jamar Taylor from Boise State sticks out to me right now. With the plethora of DBs at 6' or taller this year, he might slide. Capable tackler and good coverage skills to boot. He seems actually like a prototype of what they look for in our system. Faster than you usually find with that skill set too. Similar skill set to Winfield and Barber type of guys. Obviously that is a high-end ballpark and he doesn't warrant comparison just coming out of college but, it's the right skill set to have in our defense. Good provide a good package going forward of Cook, him, and Robinson as long as Robinson continues to develop.

Depending on where they project Cook and Robinson going forward, Logan Ryan from Rutgers could be very good. Seems like a great all around talent but with poor measurables. Hard to really even call it poor measurables. More like Poor 40 yard time. His shuttle/cone are around top of the class which is as important as anything. From what I can tell he'd likely be available for our 2nd rounder as of where it stands now.

Dwayne Gratz from Connecticut. Fairly big CB with solid athleticism. Sounds a lot like the type of prospect the gm's have looked for in the past.

B.W. Webb from William and Mary seems to fit a safe pick somewhere in the 3rd.

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    Yes, this does appear to be a very deep draft for big corners.

Here are a few other mid round prospects I like

Blidi Wreh-Wilson - 6'2" 190lbs

David Amerson - 6'3" 195lbs

Darious Slay - 6'1" 190lbs

Sanders Commings - 6'2" 216lbs
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

Demetrius McCray from Appalachian State I believe is 6'1. I believe above average coverage skills and can return kicks. I would like to see a little more of him for a later round pick. I think he brings something.

Quote Originally Posted by drunknmunky127 View Post
    I figure a pretty relevant thread. Without Winfield we pretty much need to draft one fairly early. Even with him, it wouldn't be a shocking decision.

The good news about this year is that it seems to be a relatively deep year for big, fast athletes that are willing to tackle.

I'm just now diving into some reading but, there seems to be a good range of value in the 2nd and 3rd round area for us.

Jamar Taylor from Boise State sticks out to me right now. With the plethora of DBs at 6' or taller this year, he might slide. Capable tackler and good coverage skills to boot. He seems actually like a prototype of what they look for in our system. Faster than you usually find with that skill set too. Similar skill set to Winfield and Barber type of guys. Obviously that is a high-end ballpark and he doesn't warrant comparison just coming out of college but, it's the right skill set to have in our defense. Good provide a good package going forward of Cook, him, and Robinson as long as Robinson continues to develop.

Depending on where they project Cook and Robinson going forward, Logan Ryan from Rutgers could be very good. Seems like a great all around talent but with poor measurables. Hard to really even call it poor measurables. More like Poor 40 yard time. His shuttle/cone are around top of the class which is as important as anything. From what I can tell he'd likely be available for our 2nd rounder as of where it stands now.

Dwayne Gratz from Connecticut. Fairly big CB with solid athleticism. Sounds a lot like the type of prospect the gm's have looked for in the past.

B.W. Webb from William and Mary seems to fit a safe pick somewhere in the 3rd.
    Agree Drunky. Most mocks I've seen have Ryan going mid-late 3rd round. Webb has been late 4th or so, and Slay in that same area. I like all three of these guys and would be happy with any one of them, especially if we get them in those spots.

Upper Deck, On the Rail
    With the NFL now a pass first league do we think that a lot of these corners could go a lot earlier than we think when you look at most teams needs CB is on a lot of there boards.

Coach in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMcCombs View Post
    Agree Drunky. Most mocks I've seen have Ryan going mid-late 3rd round. Webb has been late 4th or so, and Slay in that same area. I like all three of these guys and would be happy with any one of them, especially if we get them in those spots.
    Yeah, that was just where they were projected on the site I had up at the time. If they seem like they could go lower, that's even better. Seems like a good crop of guys for our style of cover-2 this year.

Now we just need the middle linebacker for the system and we could be back to the defense being an overall strength with another good draft.