• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A
    NFLfans processing...

Thread: Draft mistakes last forever

Draft mistakes last forever

Draft mistakes last forever
    Posted by: Jim Souhan under Vikings, Bears, NFL draft, Packers, Cedric Griffin, Tarvaris Jackson Updated: March 15, 2013 - 7:24 PM 12 comments print share

This isn't to pick on NFL general managers or scouts. This is to emphasize how difficult it is to draft well, how difficult it is to differentiate between a guy who's going to become a star and a guy who's going to become a barista, and how a choice that seems inconsequential at the time can alter a division or league.

In the 2006 draft, the Vikings used second-round picks on cornerback Cedric Griffin, center Ryan Cook and quarterback Tarvaris Jackson. Griffin became a starter, Cook did not, and Jackson became a mediocre quarterback.

The Vikings chose Griffin with the 48th pick, and Cook with the 51st. With the 52nd pick, the Green Bay Packers chose Greg Jennings.

The Vikings just signed Jennings to a five-year deal worth, presumably, lots of money to fill their remarkable void at receiver.

Imagine the 2009 Vikings with Jennings on the field, or the 2012 Vikings.

The Bears chose Devin Hester with the 57th pick. The Jaguars got Maurice Jones-Drew with the 60th. And the Broncos chose Brandon Marshall with the 119th.

I used to make fun of the enormous attention paid to the NFL draft. I can't anymore. Seemingly innocuous picks can alter the league's landscape.

Coach in Training
    Sometimes it is just impossible to project things. People do different and unpredictable things when faced with a different level of competition.

I mean, they can highlight our potentially bad second round from that year but, you can look at it differently than that. Cook there aren't many excuses for. When you overdraft a guy like that with hopes of moving him to a different position, you better be spot on. Otherwise, you can't really get bent out of shape about it. Jackson had potential that he never realized. Injuries helped in that although I don't really think he'd have made it anyway but, any QB after the 1st round is a guaranteed gamble. You can't necessarily call it a bad pick since the gamble is an inherent part of it. Given that Jackson showed some promise, I have to give the coaches some benefit of the doubt in jumping on it. They thought they had something and they had some evidence to support that theory. It didn't pan out though. As for Griffen, before his injuries, he was on his way to being easily the #1 CB on this team. Man, when he was healthy and playing aggressively was he fun to watch. He learned to jump the run from winfield and was a better ballhawk. Take away the injuries and I could see him being one of the best DB's in the division. That was really a shame. He had tons of potential.

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    Definately can't complain about the Griffen pick. I thought he was a rising star until his career got derailed by the knee injuries. That was a good pick gone bad by injuries.

As for Jackson I thought he had potential. The only thing I did not like about that pick at the time was how we traded up to get him. Physically he looked the part. He was athletic and had a strong arm. His accuracy and desision making never improved to where they needed to be. I think I held onto hope of him putting it together longer than most. A gamble that didn't pay off.

At the time I didn't really have an opinion about the Cook pick. I didn't know much about him. In hinsight that didn't pan out either. We got more like a 5th round production out of that 2nd round pick.
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

As Drunky pointed out, the Cook pick was just plain stupid. You don't draft a guy in the 2nd round and immediately change his position. And if I recall correctly, he was more of a 4th and even 5th round projection. Ditto for Jackson, he was expected to be a 5th or even 6th round pick. He's only proven to be a back-up...

The Griffin pick was a legitimate selection. Nothing one can do about injuries.

The first two were driven by Chilly's incredible stubborness. What as @ss...

Track record until recently shows bad drafting year after year.
    Sure we nail the 1st rder, most of the time, but who doesn't ?
    Just hope that we do not waste early picks any more.
    I still do not understand the Gerhardt pick. Made no sense to me. Hopefully we can draft BPA that fills a need.

Coach in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IIsweet View Post
    Track record until recently shows bad drafting year after year.
    Sure we nail the 1st rder, most of the time, but who doesn't ?
    Just hope that we do not waste early picks any more.
    I still do not understand the Gerhardt pick. Made no sense to me. Hopefully we can draft BPA that fills a need.
    My thoughts on the Gerhardt thing was that it likely was a combination of concerns. Always good to have a good backup and two back was hitting a popularity spike then too and they wanted to prepare for injury. Unless I'm mistaken Peterson was approaching the end of his contract too maybe they wanted to prepare in case he wanted more money than they could afford.

Hard to say really. I'm happy to have him on the team but, I was also scratching my head a bit.

RB is becoming a position where you can plug and play. If you have a good OL, then just plug a RB and watch him excel. This is exactly the Old Broncos, Texans, and now Redskins philosophy. Granted Shanahan had a big hand in developing these, but why can't every team ?

Quote Originally Posted by RedMcCombs View Post
    As Drunky pointed out, the Cook pick was just plain stupid. You don't draft a guy in the 2nd round and immediately change his position. And if I recall correctly, he was more of a 4th and even 5th round projection. Ditto for Jackson, he was expected to be a 5th or even 6th round pick. He's only proven to be a back-up...

The Griffin pick was a legitimate selection. Nothing one can do about injuries.

The first two were driven by Chilly's incredible stubborness. What as @ss...
    Jackson was a pretty good QB at a small school. He had the athleticism, the build, the arm, but was a project. That should have made him a 4th round pick, not a second. Of course, it's not his fault where he was picked so I put it all on the ones who picked him. Guys in his circumstance shouldn't be thrust into the starting job because the team decided they didn't want to upgrade the position. He was (and apparently still is) in over his head as an NFL starter.

Cook wasn't a 2nd round talent either obviously. I'll still never know why he wasn't tried at his college position of center. Sure he had a tackle's body, but why didn't he play any OT in college? If you can't play it in college, there's no hope to do it in the NFL.

Griffen was taken about where he should have been. He was actually a pretty good corner, just got hurt a lot. Not much you can do about that.

There's nothing wrong with trying to find that diamond in the rough, the guy that everyone but you were wrong about. But you don't overdraft that guy, you get him in the later rounds. Good teams can gamble on talent turning into something, but the rest of us have to draft more sure things to build on.

If we really want to second guess ourselves, we could have taken Courtland Finnegan and Marques Colston in the 7th instead of Greg Blue in the 5th and Tyrone Culver in the 6th. You can always go back and find a better pick, but unfortunately you can't go back and actually pick them