Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We signed Willie Colon

We signed Willie Colon

Per ESPN

1 yr deal, 1.2 mil

Not sure I understand that move. I like the player and at 29 he might have some long term use to us.

But a 1 year deal? This is Laron landry all over again. Why sign a guy like this with the year we are about to have only to watch him walk if he has a big year??

Like the player, like the move, like the price...hate the 1 year deal.

Also love that he was released by Pitt so it doesnt count against our comp pick ratio.

Keep signing those castoffs Johnny Boy!!!

Just last year the Steelers gave him a new five year deal for 30 million, and that organization doesn't pay anyone who can't play, they even let their best players walk if the price gets too high and they believe in their ability to draft well and replace anyone, thats the way they operate, so they must have believed Colon was a really good player to give that contract to an OG, but he tore his bicep and missed all of 2011, and this after he tore his achilles and missed all of 2010, thats why he was released, not because he can't play.

If he's healthy the Jets may have stolen one here and expect him to start, just like he started for the Steelers SB team before he got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Just last year the Steelers gave him a new five year deal for 30 million, and that organization doesn't pay anyone who can't play, they even let their best players walk if the price gets too high and they believe in their ability to draft well and replace anyone, thats the way they operate, so they must have believed Colon was a really good player to give that contract to an OG, but he tore his bicep and missed all of 2011, and this after he tore his achilles and missed all of 2010, thats why he was released, not because he can't play.

If he's healthy the Jets may have stolen one here and expect him to start, just like he started for the Steelers SB team before he got hurt.
    Agreed...so why not lock him up for at least 2 years???

Quote Originally Posted by MSGold12 View Post

Agreed...so why not lock him up for at least 2 years???
    I can't answer that, I agree that we should have locked him up for at least two years, the only thing I can guess is that he insisted on only signing for one year so he can prove his worth when healthy then go back on the FA market next year with more value, and good players don't have trouble finding work, so he probably would have found someone else to give him one year.

colon

I can't answer that, I agree that we should have locked him up for at least two years, the only thing I can guess is that he insisted on only signing for one year so he can prove his worth when healthy then go back on the FA market next year with more value, and good players don't have trouble finding work, so he probably would have found someone else to give him one year.
    1 year deal for a guy who went on ir 2 years in a row isn't that far fetched

Youre probably right...lets just hope we dont have Laron Landry part 2 here. I think he culd be a longish term solution for us at one of the OG spots. And if we somehow get TBs #1 and grab Warmack in rd 1...thats a hell of a quick rebuild to our OL!

Quote Originally Posted by ljs jets nj View Post
    1 year deal for a guy who went on ir 2 years in a row isn't that far fetched
    Yes but Im not saying give him guaranteed money. We could have signed him to a 3 year deal with esclalting salaries and if he sucked we could cut him and he costs us nothing. NO huge siging bonus here so why not try and lock him up for 2 or 3 years rather then just 1 where if he plays well he can just walk away.

Especially in a year that we are likely to suck!

Seems they're anticipating an upgrade to this stop-gap sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetses View Post
    Seems they're anticipating an upgrade to this stop-gap sooner rather than later.
    Colon is only 29. if hes healthy he could be much more then a stop gap. And we are going to suck really badly this year...why even need a "stop gap". Play Vlad and Caleb or a draft choice and see what they have. Or keep Slauson if you want a hold the fort guy. Coln could solve 1 of our TWO giant holes on the OG position. Eseopcially if we can pry the #13 away from TB and grab Warmack.

Colon to me has a lot more upside and should have been looked at as a possible loner term answer...which is why I hate the 1 year deal. hated the landry deal too btw.

Brick- Warmack- Mangold- a healthy Colon- a developng Howard...that looks like a damn nice rebuild to me!