• Shoutbox
    Active Users: 0

• Notice: N/A
    NFLfans processing...

Thread: What do you guys think about Austin?

What do you guys think about Austin?

Early reports from the Mountaineers pro day suggest that QB Geno Smith looked very good as he went through a scripted 64 pass session that included a lot of downfield throws; 28 teams were represented including Jacksonville and Buffalo which both had their G.M.s in Morgantown. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh and Minnesota both reportedly showed the most interest in WR Tavon Austin.

I realize we already have a slot guy in Wright, but would you take Austin if he was available at #23 or #25?

Quote Originally Posted by RedMcCombs View Post
    Meanwhile, Pittsburgh and Minnesota both reportedly showed the most interest in WR Tavon Austin.
    Austin has private workouts scheduled with New England (#29), Baltimore (#32), and Carolina (#14). He's already met with the Dolphins (#12) and Bengals (#21).

Thanks Ninerslacking. I'm guessing Miami's interest may have declined with their recent FA activitiy.

Guys, if both Allen and Austin were available when we draft at #23 and #25, would you take both. I think I would, especially if we don't sign Jennings. Recognize it gives us two slot guys in Wright and Austin, but that doesn't mean they can't both be on the field together.

Still gives us four more picks in rounds 2-4 to fill our holes at DT, LB, and CB.

And we can also take another WR with size if one starts to fall to us in later rounds. Mellette would be my choice.

Celebrating in the 1st Deck
    I'm not a fan of taking Austin, but I wouldn't be upset if they did. Right now what I'm hoping to get in the 1st round is WR Allen and ILB Ogletree. We already have a slot guy in Wright and I thought he filled in pretty well after Harven got injured. If they want another slot type WR for depth behind Wright I say find him later in the draft.
    All he does is catch TOUCHDOWNS!!!!!!!!!!

Season Tickets, First Deck
    I kind of like Austin. He's 'electric' when he touches the ball. Very fast and very quick. Did all kinds of things at West Virginia including running the ball out of the back field.

If we're lucky enough to sign Jennings ... Jennings, Austin, Peterson and Rudolph on the field together. That could create some headaches for a defensive coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by ovike View Post
    I kind of like Austin. He's 'electric' when he touches the ball. Very fast and very quick. Did all kinds of things at West Virginia including running the ball out of the back field.

If we're lucky enough to sign Jennings ... Jennings, Austin, Peterson and Rudolph on the field together. That could create some headaches for a defensive coordinator.
    Assuming Ponder can ge the ball to them....

I think Wright can handle the slot. He's not Percy but he'll be okay. Now that we have Jennings we probably will add a WR in the first three rounds (hopefully we don't wait til the 3rd!). We're getting better I think :wavex:.

I would imagine that Austin will be gone by the time we pick. Granted he is gifted but he is also pretty tiny. There are plenty of other slot guys in later rounds.

I am much more interested in Allen or Hunter especially since Jenkins is gone. We need some big guys to be able to go up for those passes when Ponder winds up and launches the ball for 12 yards.....

Quote Originally Posted by twelveletter View Post
    I would imagine that Austin will be gone by the time we pick. Granted he is gifted but he is also pretty tiny. There are plenty of other slot guys in later rounds.

I am much more interested in Allen or Hunter especially since Jenkins is gone. We need some big guys to be able to go up for those passes when Ponder winds up and launches the ball for 12 yards.....
    Yeah, Austin is pretty small (5'7" 175 lbs). I think he'll be a good receiver in the NFL when he's on the field, but he'll likely get hurt easier and often. And he needs to be in a more spread-type system than we will run.

I'm also hoping we'll get a guy who's a little taller, like Allen or Hunter. And later in the draft I like Ryan Swope from Texas A&M. Great hands, great speed, adequate size (6'1" 200lbs).