Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Important post for all of us re: board status.

Important post for all of us re: board status.

I received this as a PM from a board member, and after giving it some thought decided it needed to be posted on the main board so what he is suggesting can be open to comment/input from everyone:

Hey guys,

This board is clearly dying, if not dead. Well the Jets sucking ass is at play here too, but it seems posters are avoiding this place entirely. Our popup problems aren't going away and with the passing of the one owner guy last year and now the other one is sick....well....this place doesn't look like anyone is going to be keeping it up and running it moving forward.

So...do people want a new board? If so, should we build one for ourselves or assimilate into another board?

I'd like to keep it our place. I never liked the way we sold off and moved in the middle of the night ala Art Modell to this place, but it was kept relatively autonomous for us so it was all good, despite the non-stop technical issues. I'm happy to build it. But I don't want to "run" it. Meaning I don't want to be an admin. I'm happy to just work the build out behind the scenes and help with password lockouts or whatever. But I am not interested in policing any message boards.

Since technical issues are always a factor with boards, I'd propose we move to a hosted system. VBulletin has a good cloud option where they run everything for you on their own cloud servers, they do all the maintenance/virus protections and manage it all behind the scenes with help desk and ticket systems. They have mobile capability. The rub is you pay 30 bucks a month for the service. I don't mind paying say 5 bucks a month for the site, and if there are 5 other guys that want to share in that "ownership" we can keep it that way going forward. That way we can let it be free for everyone else as we try to build membership.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ret2ski; 11-15-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    "On to 2017"

Assistant Coach
    How many posters do we have on the board now? The service of $30 can that be paid on yearly basis. I think the donators should be Jet Fans.

BTW my email address is bronxguy3@gmail.com

Team Owner
    I'm all for a new board, these pop ups are f@cking absurd

I don't care about "ownership" in the new one but I'd gladly chip in the $5

I'm happy to chip in. If we do this, I think we'd need a new board. No way can we assimilate to another board. We'd all get kicked out within a week. But if we do this we need to bring everyone and the lurkers gave to start participating again. We'd also have to selectively recruit to build up the membership. No sense in starting anew (and paying for it) only to have the same 10-15 guys posting. We have to figure out a way the energize our base since the team certainly isn't going to do it!

i will be happy to kick in also....

Count my 5 bucks in I'm all for a new place e

Team Owner
    Count me in as well, duh.
    J-E-T-S! It's not exactly a passion, it's generally more of a sickness.

FACT: The New York Jets will never win a Super Bowl with Woody Johnson as the owner.

We will easily have 30 posters, a buck a month is a no brainer... just make sure MSG can have an ignore feature.. and can we limit GG to 3 posts a day.. off topic will need is own area too.

OK, liking the enthusiasm I'm seeing so far.

I need the lurkers, this thread has 7 replies but has 52 views as I post this, to send me their e-mail addy ASAP - that means you ncjet as well as others - so nobody gets lost in the transition. Right now I have 16 e-mail addys which includes pretty much al active posters. For everyone else I have either e-mailed or PMed them asking for their e-mail addy & I will have to wait & see if they get back to me.

I agree with 12 on the OT lounge.

We also need everyone to make a commitment to a move, if it happens, because the last time we looked at moving Steppie went to the trouble of setting up a board & ended up wasting his time.

I would also suggest that a new board be by invitation only and/or include a probationary period for any new poster so we can have some quality control. That would continue our philosophy of quality over quantity.

I'm in for the $5 & would be more than happy to continue as admin if that meets with the approval of at least a majority.
    "On to 2017"