Thread: Over/under on coaching vacancies this year:*7.5

Over/under on coaching vacancies this year:*7.5

Over/under on coaching vacancies this year:*7.5

Posted by Mike Florio on November 15, 2017

During a recent episode of PFT Live, producer Rob “Stats” Guerrera and I went through the 32-team NFL standing and identified the teams that could be changing coaches after the season.

We ultimately set the over/under at 7.5.

And both of us took the over. Which means that we think at least eight coaching jobs — 25 percent of the league — will come open.

While some coaches on the hot seat will do enough to survive, guys who have to at least be worrying a little right now include Jets coach Todd Bowles, Ravens coach John Harbaugh, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, Browns coach Hue Jackson, Texans coach Bill O’Brien, Colts coach Chuck Pagano, Giants coach Ben McAdoo (pictured), Bears coach John Fox, and Buccaneers coach Dirk Koetter. That’s nine, already.

Those who could find themselves in trouble, if things fall apart down the stretch, include Cardinals coach Bruce Arians, Packers coach Mike McCarthy, Raiders coach Jack Del Rio, and maybe (maybe) Washington coach Jay Gruden and Broncos coach Vance Joseph.

As to Joseph, he would land squarely in the “surprise firing” category. But there’s one surprise every year, and even though a one-and-done outcome seems harsh, it has happened plenty of times, with the 49ers doing it in 2015 (Jim Tomsula) and 2016 (Chip Kelly). The Broncos, 3-6 and losers of five in a row, have grossly underachieved this year, in light of expectations. And failure to meet expectations become the prime ingredient in a decision to fire any coach.

To those who get squeamish when this topic comes up, two points. First, most coaches get paid for at least a year or two after they’re fired. Second, possibly getting fired goes with the territory; indeed, coaches repeatedly and routinely fire players
    "On to 2017"

Team Owner
    I'd gladly take a run at Harbaugh, Fox or Mccarthy. All have warts, but all are damn good coaches who know how to run an operation with great success. I'm leery of taking coaches who had great QBs like McCarthy, but the guy seems like a damn good one.

Del Rio, Gruden, O'Brien....I'd take a cursory look at them. Everyone else.....just either sucks, is too old school, or is a way better coordinator than they are a HC.
    J-E-T-S! It's not exactly a passion, it's generally more of a sickness.

FACT: The New York Jets will never win a Super Bowl with Woody Johnson as the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLs StepChild View Post
    I'd gladly take a run at Harbaugh, Fox or Mccarthy. All have warts, but all are damn good coaches who know how to run an operation with great success. I'm leery of taking coaches who had great QBs like McCarthy, but the guy seems like a damn good one.

Del Rio, Gruden, O'Brien....I'd take a cursory look at them. Everyone else.....just either sucks, is too old school, or is a way better coordinator than they are a HC.
    My thoughts exactly. The other Harbaugh. I did NOT expect to see him on that list, but NFL owners get antsy no matter how solid their coach is. If he were cut loose I'd be thrilled to have him. Either Harbaugh, sign me up!!!!!!

Step, what's your take on Todd Haley? I mentioned him a little while back for the first time as a guy who I like if we can't get the automatic "past winner" track record vet. He'd be on that list of guys who didn't quite pan out first time around as an HC but this guy has a significant track record for excellent offenses. He's had some great QB situations with Warner in Arizona, and Big Ben now, but also was around during the Romo development and had a 10 win season as HC with Matt Cassell. He's been a Jet.

I'm not saying he's my first choice but if we fail to land a proven vet, and we have no choice but to drop to the next tier, that being once failed HCs, or cough cough (please no more) first timers, I like this guy. And I also have ot mention that I have completely flip flopped on my forever opinion of PREFERING a scenario with a defensive oriented HC matched with a FQB. I still want the FQB, OBVIOUSLY, but I'm ready to go offense on HC.

I think Todd Haley would be a good HC. He runs a scheme that is easier to learn and execute, from what I read. His scheme also doesn't need players needing certain traits to be effective.
    Last edited by SOF.Gator; 11-17-2017 at 04:11 AM.

And he's tough. Even tough to a fault in his first stint but I like the idea of startint too tough and easing back just enough based on "learning the lessons of the job"

"Disciplinarian" is such a cliche BS point. No player in this league changes his ways because of a fine or being benched for a series or a quarter. meh, who gives a f@ck. Players respond to coaches that simply CONNECT. That could be through respect, admiration, or it could be because he's a fiery, in your face, yell right at you, right now, and hold you ACCOUNTABLE for what you are doing on the field RIGHT NOW type. yelling doesn't earn respect on its own either, like I said, it's the CONNECTION and RESPECT. But again, Haley is fiery and in your face and never held back, so if he has NOW learned more about the connection part, I LIKE that approach for this YOUNG team. Will he just be an asshole, or will he be a respected leader that gets in his player's faces and EARNS their respect because he is holding them accountable.

Ultimately, i've said this a million times, if you are NOT putting winning game plans on the table, NOT making winning in-game adjustments, players will eventually NOT RESPECT you and will tune you out, no matter what your approach. No amount of rah rah, or player's guy, or asshole, or disciplinarian penalties trumps being ABLE to make these players win and be better on the field. This is why the eventual tune out of Todd Bowles is coming. After a while the players look around and REALIZE the game plans aren't working, the adjustments aren't happening and they just keep getting sent out there without the same weapons the other team has. HC respect goes bye bye.

anyway, I'm ranting off topic, if we fail to get a past winning vet HC, i like Haley in his 2nd HC bid.
    Last edited by JWilly; 11-16-2017 at 04:22 PM.