Thread: Gruden Might Really Be Available

Gruden Might Really Be Available

There is talk that the University of Tennessee might try to hire Gruden as HC. This might have been a pipe dream before but ESPN is having massive layoffs and reportedly can't afford Monday Night Football. I posted before that one way Bowles could be canned without causing a problem would be getting a big name HC.

Unless we totally fall apart over the next 6 weeks, I dont think Bowles is going anywhere. And hiring Gruden might also entail giving him full control which means bye bye Mac also. Not that I would have a major problem wiht a total housecleaning in exchange for a true football czar (altough Gruden has no experioence in drafting), I dont think this organization has the stomach or the balls to do it.

Talk of a Jon Gruden return heats up in*Tampa

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 14, 2017

Jon Gruden coached the Buccaneers to their only championship. Could they bring him back to try to win another?

They might, as talk is heating up in Tampa that head coach Dirk Koetter is on the hot seat and Gruden could be his replacement.

Longtime Tampa reporter Ira Kaufman said today on PFT Live that he thinks Koetter needs to close strong if he’s going to save his job, and that the Buccaneers’ owners may think Gruden would energize the fan base.

“I think Koetter’s got seven weeks to prove that this team is still buying what he’s selling,” Kaufman said. “The stands are half empty, and there’s a guy out there that has a lot of juice and can fill those stands. . . . I’m starting to believe it for the first time, that Gruden’s coming back.”

Kaufman said he has heard that Gruden would be open to returning to coaching and would prefer the NFL, not college football, because he doesn’t like recruiting. Kaufman also said Gruden’s announcing career has run its course and that Gruden doesn’t have the same passion for the job now that he’s not paired with Mike Tirico, who became a close friend during their years together. Kaufman added that Gruden thinks highly of Jameis Winston, has mended fences with the Glazer family after they fired him at the end of the 2008 season, and would love to work with his son, Deuce Gruden, who currently works as a strength coach on Jay Gruden’s staff in Washington but would likely leave his uncle’s staff for his dad’s if Jon Gruden became a coach again.

Add it all up, and there are a lot of reasons to think a Gruden return would make a lot of sense.
    "On to 2017"

Quote Originally Posted by MSGold12 View Post
    Unless we totally fall apart over the next 6 weeks, I dont think Bowles is going anywhere. And hiring Gruden might also entail giving him full control which means bye bye Mac also. Not that I would have a major problem wiht a total housecleaning in exchange for a true football czar (altough Gruden has no experioence in drafting), I dont think this organization has the stomach or the balls to do it.
    MSG, I think this would be a pure business decision. Stadium attendance, local TV viewing audience, and social media hits are all down. Something will be done to boost those numbers for 2018. It might be it a big name HC, a big free agent QB, or a QB taken high in the draft.

Panthers, Chiefs and Saints in the next 4 weeks. And in between them is the Broncos who have their own struggles going on but it's at Denver. Tell me which of those games we are winning? Then we have a coin flip vs the Chargers and a lock loss vs Pats.

After we get smoked by the Panthers and Chiefs, you don't think "totally falling apart" is possible? I think it's not only possible but probable. Even if we chalk up wins in the two winnable games we have left, Denver and LA, that's 6-10. In a season where this HC was TOLD he'd be judged by how he develops his young players, he is limping every vet he can find out there week after week instead. Sure i get it that the kid QBs aren't "showing" enough in practice ut that could also be the ammo against Bowles they need to clear the path. "Bowles couldn't develop them"

I do think that if we cannot land a legit vet that Bowles is back, but i think they will be seeking the "splash signing" at HC. Normally I would rebel against "splash signing" when it's a player, but when it's HC, I'm ALL FOR the splash.
    Last edited by JWilly; 11-14-2017 at 08:02 PM.

I've never been a fan of his.

Mike Francesa was discussing the possibility of Gruden becoming the next Giants coach yesterday.

He said he didn't view Gruden as a 'Giants coach' type. He didn't go into detail but I think I know what he meant.

I'll take it one step further I don't think he's cut out for New York.

I think Gruden needs to go somewhere warm like his previous stops where his blonde hair, pretty boy looks with all his funky facial expressions will fit in better, impress, amuse the media & fans there.

New York is a different beast altogether.