Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Even without Darnold Jets should have a real shot at...

Cousins has only played two full seasons and parts of two, look at his numbers the last two years and his numbers this year, he is a franchise caliber QB, his arm is stronger now, his mechanics are better, his release is very quick, his accuracy is very good, he’s a team leader. He’s putting up great numbers despite not having a good defense or running game to back him up. His receivers are not bad but there’s no Julio Jones on that squad.

It’s crazy not to project great things going forward for this guy, I think he has arrived but people are not giving credit.

https://www.google.com/search?client...20.oyzjSr8GLhY

Right now he’s 11th in yards, 7th in TD’s and 3rd in QB rating. He’s one of the young up
    Amd coming QB’s, he’s only 29, I think the light just went on for him, time to jump and get him now while he is entering his prime.

Or we can take another shot at a less than 25% proposition. I’ll take the sure thing now thank you. The guy who will be annointed a starter from day one, thank you. Tired of these rookie garbage QB’s. Sanchez bust, Geno bust, Petty bust, Hackenberg bust... Jets just don’t know how to draft QB’s, 50 years since Namath, we just don’t get it right!
    Last edited by slikmojet; 10-26-2017 at 07:16 AM.
    Ain't nobody better mess with the fine feathered figaro!

I can't see them letting him walk without getting an RGIII-like ransom. And that BETTER NOT BE THE JETS!

So ... as is true of many of your rants, much ado about nothing..moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by slikmojet View Post
    Cousins has only played two full seasons and parts of two, look at his numbers the last two years and his numbers this year, he is a franchise caliber QB, his arm is stronger now, his mechanics are better, his release is very quick, his accuracy is very good, hes a team leader. Hes putting up great numbers despite not having a good defense or running game to back him up. His receivers are not bad but theres no Julio Jones on that squad.

Its crazy not to project great things going forward for this guy, I think he has arrived but people are not giving credit.

https://www.google.com/search?client...20.oyzjSr8GLhY

Right now hes 11th in yards, 7th in TDs and 3rd in QB rating. Hes one of the young up
    Amd coming QBs, hes only 29, I think the light just went on for him, time to jump and get him now while he is entering his prime.

Or we can take another shot at a less than 25% proposition. Ill take the sure thing now thank you. The guy who will be annointed a starter from day one, thank you. Tired of these rookie garbage QBs. Sanchez bust, Geno bust, Petty bust, Hackenberg bust... Jets just dont know how to draft QBs, 50 years since Namath, we just dont get it right!
    OK, for sake of arguement I am going to shelve the idea that Cousins is more of a stat player then an actually FQB. To answer the question I kept asking you above that you wouldnt answer, the quite inmpressive 5 years stat line I listed is that of...Matt Schaub. As you can see by those numbers, that are quite conprable to Cousins, great QB stats do not always lead to great team success. And I'll admit I was fooled by Shaub (just ask Pope) and his gaudy numbers. But Shaub is a great example of a QB who looks great on paper, who passes the eyeball test...but was NOT a FQB. But lets forget that for now. Lets assume Cousins is POSSIBLY a FQB. Here is why getting him makes very little sense for us.

1. The Redskins are probably not going to let him just walk away. They will either a) offer him a mega deal, b) will franchise him again (unlikely since he would make 34 mil wit the escalator) or c) they will transition tag him (more likely since the 1 year number is around 28 mil). If they do b or c, then the Jets will not only have to give up huge dollars to get a QB who has never won a playoff game, but would also have to givre up draft choice compensation also. And while you may think Cousins is really good, I think we can both agree he's not worth all that.

2. The Jets are not a QB away from being a contender. And certainly not in a position at this point to drop 25+ mil per and use up that much cap space for the next 5 years for a 30 year old QB who has not proven himself as a playoff winner.

3. Again, and especially in this NFL, regualr seaosn stats are very deceiving. Any decent QB can throw for 4000+ a year now. But that doesnt mean they are the guy to get you to the SB.

4. I fully understand that it is a big risk to draft a QB and hope he becomes a FQB. But the risk is even bigger to shower a 30 year old vet wiht no playoff wins on his resume with a massive, cap busting contract whihc will limit your ability to improve the rest of your very medicore roster.

Like it or not, the proper way to build a team is to get your QB through the draft so you can develop him over the term of his very affordable rookie deal and THEN make a deicsion on him for the mega deal after year 5. IN the meantime, you have saved al that cap space to improve the rest of your roster. Just look at the 2009 and 2010 Jets as a prime example. Look at what Philly, TB and LA are doing now. Look what Oakland did before giving Carr his mega deal. Look at why NE was so good early on...Brady was making peanuts for his first 3 or 4 years.

Im not trying to be insulting but your need for this instant grtaification and entertainment is cuasing you to want to try and "skip" a step. I mean aside from Brees and NO (and I discussed why thats not a good comparison already), find me a team that went out and signed a vet QB away from another team and was successful (and when I say successful I mean went to a SB...not 8-10 wins and a quick playoff exit every year). Despite your thinking, Cousins is FAR from a sure thing...just like Shaub was. And getting him will be much harder and much more costly then you seem to understand. And, in the long runm culd very well set us BACK in a quest for a SB....which SHOULD be the quest of ALL Jet fans.

serious question....how do we know that HACK is a bust? i mean he has not played a single play of regular season football. is it completely out of the question that the coaching staff has a plan and dont gives a rats ass what the media says...and they are going old school giving him ample time to study and learn....

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjet52 View Post
    serious question....how do we know that HACK is a bust? i mean he has not played a single play of regular season football. is it completely out of the question that the coaching staff has a plan and dont gives a rats ass what the media says...and they are going old school giving him ample time to study and learn....
    Listen, there was no bigger "lets give Hack a chance" fan then me. but after what I saw this pre season, even I am off that dream. He looks like Namath circa 1975 in the pocket. He's stiff, he's indecisive, and he has the "deer in the headlight" lok about him that Im not sure will ever change. On paper he loks the part. On the sideline he looks the part. In his workouts and classroom he probably looked the part. But on the field, whe it counts, I am just not seeing it. The guy got dominated by pre season defenses...even thrid stringers. he should have been lghting them up and instead looked awful. I think Petty might be something and while Id still like to see Hack in there are some point this year, I have all but given up on him after that utterly dreadful pre season performance.

We don't. But from hat we've seen so far to be counting on him in any way would be utterly asinine. You don't need to cut him. But don't count on him. If something miraculous happens in the next two seasons so be it, great. But move on as if he's NOT the plan or you'll be sorry.

No MSG, Washington is a really stupid franchise and they are going to just sit back and allow an open bidding war for Cousins with no safety net for the franchise if they lose him. Duh.

If Cousins finishes strong and beats SOMEBODY, he's a Skin for life.

If Cousins finishes with nothing but MORE LOSSES to real opponents, he'll be moving on to the stupidest over bidder.

The ONLY team that gets "Cousins the FQB" is Washington. Slik ain't grasping this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGold12 View Post
    Listen, there was no bigger "lets give Hack a chance" fan then me. but after what I saw this pre season, even I am off that dream. He looks like Namath circa 1975 in the pocket. He's stiff, he's indecisive, and he has the "deer in the headlight" lok about him that Im not sure will ever change. On paper he loks the part. On the sideline he looks the part. In his workouts and classroom he probably looked the part. But on the field, whe it counts, I am just not seeing it. The guy got dominated by pre season defenses...even thrid stringers. he should have been lghting them up and instead looked awful. I think Petty might be something and while Id still like to see Hack in there are some point this year, I have all but given up on him after that utterly dreadful pre season performance.
    i understand he was not very good against 1st stringers not 3rd stringers. petty was playing 2nd half in the pre season. hack also did make a few plays in the games he looked lost. i just think until he actually plays in a real game with 1s the whole game we still are not sure.. look how goff looked 1st year? he sucked not so much now. everybody is different and i know i am not saying anything that none of us dont know but hack has played a 1/2 of 2 games and the media has run with the HACK IS THE WORST QB EVER.....just like they ran with the jets are going 0-16 the worst team ever......

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjet52 View Post
    i understand he was not very good against 1st stringers not 3rd stringers. petty was playing 2nd half in the pre season. hack also did make a few plays in the games he looked lost. i just think until he actually plays in a real game with 1s the whole game we still are not sure.. look how goff looked 1st year? he sucked not so much now. everybody is different and i know i am not saying anything that none of us dont know but hack has played a 1/2 of 2 games and the media has run with the HACK IS THE WORST QB EVER.....just like they ran with the jets are going 0-16 the worst team ever......
    I too want to see him play this year...I'm just not expecting much anymore.