Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: D line, what is really the problem?

  1. #1
    Jets Moderator ret2ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palm Coast, Fl.
    Posts
    35,951

    D line, what is really the problem?

    I ask the question that way, because while Mo is the obvious target; the whole unit is not performing.

    Clearly Mo is not living up to expectation, nor his contract.

    Leonard Williams has taken a huge step backward this year.

    They can't stop the run.

    They can't pass rush.

    Sheldon is doing nothing in Seattle so I don't know that it can be blamed on his loss.

    Is it how Todd is using them?

    Is it the D coordinator?

    Is it the DL coach?

    Maybe the loss of both Sheldon & Snacks?
    "On to 2017"

  2. #2
    I have only seen two games this year, including last week, so I can only speak to those performances but I haven't really seen a huge problem. The Pats didn't run very well and they got pressure on Brady, for the most part. The two big pass plays Brady threw were bang-bang, step up in the pocket throws within 3-4 seconds. Claiborne got beat over the shoulder deep (bad coverage call in that scenario btw with :40 left) and Adams had a tough day against Gronk one-on-one, which is to be expected for a rookie. I didn't see a lot of blitzing, so they were asking a lot to get to Brady in <3 seconds. And week one is going back a bit, but I recall it was mostly a few chunk runs, often on broken plays, by a very fresh McCoy that skewed the numbers. (BTW, I was actually far more impressed with the linebackers this past week than in week one.)

    Perhaps I've missed a lot in the four game between these, but it seems the media and some fans just love to harp on this DLine issue
    Last edited by ibleedgreen; 10-18-2017 at 01:49 PM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ret2ski View Post
    I ask the question that way, because while Mo is the obvious target; the whole unit is not performing.

    Clearly Mo is not living up to expectation, nor his contract.

    Leonard Williams has taken a huge step backward this year.

    They can't stop the run.

    They can't pass rush.

    Sheldon is doing nothing in Seattle so I don't know that it can be blamed on his loss.

    Is it how Todd is using them?

    Is it the D coordinator?

    Is it the DL coach?

    Maybe the loss of both Sheldon & Snacks?
    listening post game on sny mike westhoff said that bowles was not using williams correctly. he said playing him inside he is getting doubled and he should be coming from the de position. he said he told williams this about why is he not playing DE that its his best position. williams told westhoff to please mention it to the coaches.....i dont know if its that simple or westy has a hidden agenda against bowles but its what he said.....

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjet52 View Post
    listening post game on sny mike westhoff said that bowles was not using williams correctly. he said playing him inside he is getting doubled and he should be coming from the de position. he said he told williams this about why is he not playing DE that its his best position. williams told westhoff to please mention it to the coaches.....i dont know if its that simple or westy has a hidden agenda against bowles but its what he said.....
    More parallels to Herm.

  5. #5
    Jets Moderator ret2ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palm Coast, Fl.
    Posts
    35,951
    There is clearly a problem to me & it's not about "harping" IMO.

    Between Mo & Williams they have zero sacks YTD & only 1 TFL. That's damn near impossible to do considering past performance & talent.

    In last weeks game Mo got credit for zero pressures or hits on the QB, while Williams got credit for 1 pressure.
    "On to 2017"

  6. #6
    Not scheming guys to their strengths... Todd Bowles' specialty.

    Better teams are coming, let's see it Bowles.

  7. #7
    In other news Brandon Sheriff who the Skins took a pick before us over Leo and took some heat for it is grading out as one of the top RGs in the NFL.

    Vic Beasley is coming off a 15 sack campaign last year and looked pretty good before getting hurt this year

    But hey, the "best player in the draft" fell in our laps.

    The pick should have been Beasley.
    Last edited by JetsMan57; 10-18-2017 at 02:57 PM.

  8. #8
    bowles is choosing his poison .. theres nothing wrong with the DL other than they are going 3 vs 5 or 6 every play.. they are simply out man'd .. the DC has decoded to put more resources in the middle of the field taking away passing lanes and giving them the runs up the middle.. i see it as a decision.. oh, and we have zero pass rushing OLBs in our 3-4

  9. #9
    Jets Moderator ret2ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palm Coast, Fl.
    Posts
    35,951
    Quote Originally Posted by AFL12 View Post
    bowles is choosing his poison .. theres nothing wrong with the DL other than they are going 3 vs 5 or 6 every play.. they are simply out man'd .. the DC has decoded to put more resources in the middle of the field taking away passing lanes and giving them the runs up the middle.. i see it as a decision.. oh, and we have zero pass rushing OLBs in our 3-4
    I haven't been paying close attention to the Jets games, only checking in on the scores as I've been focused on the team I picked in my survival pool.

    This weekend I'll have to pay attention a bit more based on your input. Thanks 12.
    "On to 2017"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO