Thread: Bench Cutler

Head Coach Material

Bench Cutler

There's an interesting thread at an established Dolphins MB forum. "Bench Cutler and here's why."

https://www.thephins.com/threads/ben...res-why.92016/

Fascinating,...Phins fans are all in agreement their defense is very good. What are they, #2 NFL D? But they all agree if there's lots of 3 and outs the D will wither in the 2nd half. And even though the Phins beat the Tits last Sunday, these fans are seriously on Cutler's butt.

"I think we have both said this from jump street I think moore easily could have beat the jets and we would be sitting at 3-1"

Okay,...lemme give ya'll a Falcons fan point of view, well this one anyway. Jay Cutler still has the arm and he tends to play well against the Falcons, well, in the past. Personally am wary of this guy come Sunday. Repeating me self again Dan Quinn's D-scheme is zone, zone, zone cover in a stubborn manner even when opposing offenses are racking up yards with 7 minute drives. Bend but try not to break type stuff.

Some Phins fans say Cutler isn't a leader,...well, he's Jay Cutler ya'll geesh. He has established his,...ummm persona for lack of a better word. He is what he is. The Phins' WR Landry was not happy with fans last Sunday chanting to bench Cutler. Well, after the TD reception I was told by someone at the game Landry hugged Cutler, so forget 'bout locker room drama.

The spread is now 12.5,...amazing. I don't bet but,...if I did,...a C on the Dolphins.

I took a look at his stats during his year of Bears under Adam Gase. Over all the 16 games he usually had a QB rating in the Matt Ice range. There were some cold games where he rated in the 70's, but those were less than 1 in 3 times. Talking about a QB that will regularly do a 90 or above rating. Some ratings were quite high with one over 150 I think, and that is what you expect of a QB in a champ team like last season Falcons.

Now go over the ratings of QB's in all the bottom teams and there's nobody but Cutler with those high ratings, so you are right to be wary of him.

The alternative QB is no better. Matt Moore isn't a good practice player. That doesn't tickle the coaches fancy either. But I agree that Cut should have had at best a split QB role with Moore. Back in the day Sonny and Kilmer shared QB duties there was no QB controversy. Kilmer played the first half, the slow part of the games. And if the score was bad for them, Sonny lit them up in the second half.

Head Coach Material
    Equally fascinating, cause some fans said Moore should've started from the start and ease Cutler in there. But yeah, that's a different approach to rotate.

Yes sir,...I am very wary that Cutler will find a groove and punish the Falcons secondary. It's no where near out of the realm of possibility.

Packers Moderator
    Cutler has a Favre caliber arm. Thought he was gonna be better than Tannehill. I think the Bears have this guy so screwed up he doesn't know how to throw from a clean pocket. Cutler got it done in Denver and when his brains weren't being slammed against his brain pan he got it done in Chicago.
    2008 NFLFans Fantasy Football League Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Penumbra View Post
    ...[S]ome fans said Moore should've started from the start and ease Cutler in there. But yeah, that's a different approach to rotate... I am very wary that Cutler will find a groove and punish the Falcons secondary.
    Nah for that to happen I think the coach has to set up a different game plan for Cutler than what we've thus far seen. First-err (in response to your Fin's thread) has since been replaced by Sparano's O/L coach, Dave De Guglielmo, who coached the offensive line after Mike Maser had been fired during the Wildcat season. In between stints, he's coached at the Jets (2012) and Pats (2014-15.) So he'll bring in some valuable intel. This, however, is a rare commodity and it may take some time to percolate thru the offense.

If you look back to the '72 Skins Yule remember that back then the QB's were calling plays. Kilmer was their running-game expert. Sonny was a pure passer. The coach here should have brought Cutler in to work exclusively on the two min. drill come-behind offense, and Moore could have carried on with what he already knew. Also, remember that even when Marino was injured and Don Strock came in relief, each QB ran different pass plays.

Instead of that, its looked like the coaches are set on teaching Cutler a complicated, newer offense. And he still plays in Safe Mode. If the Falcons D coaches take advantage of their Bye Week to foil the Erhardt-Perkins Spread, then there will be punishment the other way around.