Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Drew Brees also a real possibility...

  1. #1

    Drew Brees also a real possibility...

    He's 39 but says he wants to play into his mid 40's. He will be cheaper than Cousins, he knows the system Morton is running and would fit right in. We could still groom a young QB, draft a guy like Mayfield or Falk and have him sit behind Brees.

    I like the possibility Cousins and Brees offer us to win right away.
    Ain't nobody better mess with the fine feathered figaro!

  2. #2
    I don't think this Jets team is 1 player away from being Super Bowl caliber.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SOF.Gator View Post
    I don't think this Jets team is 1 player away from being Super Bowl caliber.


    And with 80 milluon under the cap they don't have to be. Brees is still putting up MVP type numbers up and he's doing it with a crappy team around him.

    We could sign Le'Veon Bell and maybe a receiver like Alshon Jeffery, then we would still have a first rounder and two second rounders to shore up the team.

    I like the Cousins route best though, he's only 28. But I love Brees and if he wants to play another 5 years I say why not?

    Our young team could use some leadership, Brees, Jeffrey and Bell would make us a formidable offense.
    Ain't nobody better mess with the fine feathered figaro!

  4. #4
    I'd take Brees on a one year deal. He'll be looking for a market rate payday.

    Cousins isn't worth $25+ million per year. JMO

    Teams need to be VERY careful giving these guys long term deals at these rates.

    Just 'cause you pay him like a franchise QB that don't make him one.

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Jets Moderator ret2ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palm Coast, Fl.
    Posts
    35,952
    This fantasyland stuff is simply not going to happen, no way!

    First of all as of right now, the 2018 cap space is $64 mil, not $80 mil per OTC.com so I don't know where that $80 mil is coming from. And before someone says it's because of free agents we will lose, they are already out of the number that gets us to $64 mil.

    On top of that we have 27 free agents that either need to be replaced or resigned & that will eat up no small portion of that $64mil. McCown, for example, is already out of the 2018 cap projection.

    We need to fill up the roster as there are only 39 players under contract for next year.

    That $64 mil is going to go away in a hurry!

    And on top of that Mac has made it clear that he will build the team through the draft and I am buying that as IMO it's the right way to go about it. So there will be no extravagant free agency spending IMO.
    "On to 2017"

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ret2ski View Post
    This fantasyland stuff is simply not going to happen, no way!

    First of all as of right now, the 2018 cap space is $64 mil, not $80 mil per OTC.com so I don't know where that $80 mil is coming from. And before someone says it's because of free agents we will lose, they are already out of the number that gets us to $64 mil.

    On top of that we have 27 free agents that either need to be replaced or resigned & that will eat up no small portion of that $64mil. McCown, for example, is already out of the 2018 cap projection.

    We need to fill up the roster as there are only 39 players under contract for next year.

    That $64 mil is going to go away in a hurry!

    And on top of that Mac has made it clear that he will build the team through the draft and I am buying that as IMO it's the right way to go about it. So there will be no extravagant free agency spending IMO.
    Could it be the projected annual rise? Or is that already taken into account in that 64 figure?

    But with all the BS about the protests, maybe it will go DOWN for a change.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ret2ski View Post
    This fantasyland stuff is simply not going to happen, no way!

    First of all as of right now, the 2018 cap space is $64 mil, not $80 mil per OTC.com so I don't know where that $80 mil is coming from. And before someone says it's because of free agents we will lose, they are already out of the number that gets us to $64 mil.

    On top of that we have 27 free agents that either need to be replaced or resigned & that will eat up no small portion of that $64mil. McCown, for example, is already out of the 2018 cap projection.

    We need to fill up the roster as there are only 39 players under contract for next year.

    That $64 mil is going to go away in a hurry!

    And on top of that Mac has made it clear that he will build the team through the draft and I am buying that as IMO it's the right way to go about it. So there will be no extravagant free agency spending IMO.
    buster skrine 6 million
    ben ijalana 4.75
    matt forte 3

    devin smith 1.25
    and we can throw in MO 11
    thats 25 million that could be also possibly coming off the books next year or at least 15 of it not counting MO so i would think we will have more unless i am missing something
    which would not be the first time lol...we have some of our own free agents to sign but noone that will be too expensive except maybe kony ealy

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by slikmojet View Post
    He's 39 but says he wants to play into his mid 40's. He will be cheaper than Cousins, he knows the system Morton is running and would fit right in. We could still groom a young QB, draft a guy like Mayfield or Falk and have him sit behind Brees.

    I like the possibility Cousins and Brees offer us to win right away.
    After all we've been through, you really want to just steamroll right back down this path? Hurry up, blow our load on aging, just about to be done vets, so that they can come here, have one optimistic season, win 10 games, go 0-1 or 1-1 in the playoffs, come back the following year, a little older, a little slower, for an agonizing just miss the playoffs 9-7, then follow that with a declining, wall hitting, salary cap bursting 5-11, FIRE EVERYBODY, and start praying for a tank job!!!!

    Yes, let's spend our way to glory!!!!

    No!!!! We finally started a slow, steady build through the draft approach. Can we just stay the course please?

    Why why why does everybody scream for the SHORTCUT that NEVER WORKS. Slik, we've tried it this way, many times, we have NOT WON. Isn't that alone enough reason to not try this route for the umpteenth time?
    Last edited by JWilly; 10-13-2017 at 02:47 PM.

  10. #10
    Jets Moderator ret2ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palm Coast, Fl.
    Posts
    35,952
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjet52 View Post
    buster skrine 6 million
    ben ijalana 4.75
    matt forte 3

    devin smith 1.25
    and we can throw in MO 11
    thats 25 million that could be also possibly coming off the books next year or at least 15 of it not counting MO so i would think we will have more unless i am missing something
    which would not be the first time lol...we have some of our own free agents to sign but noone that will be too expensive except maybe kony ealy
    Two things:

    First is if we make all of those moves it will leave us with a huge amount of dead money - $14.3 mil.

    And secondly, that would mean an additional 6 replacement p[layers we would have to get from somewhere, which would mean the number of players we would need to reup or sign as free agents would be 33.

    That said, I am expecting Forte & probably D. Smith to go away.

    As to your point about our own FA's not being too expensive to resign, I kind of agree there; but here are some specific examples of guys that will likely cost more for 2018:

    -Mo Claiborne (if he stays healthy & plays well) is playing for $6 mil this year & will likely command at least that on a new deal. If we don't resign him then we will need a starting CB & if he comes from FA he will cost at least $6 mil.

    -DeMario Davis is playing for $1 mil this year. There is no chance that we sign him or a FA starting ILB for anywhere near that for next year.

    - ASJ is playing very well for this team right now & only making $1.3 mil. I see no way we sign him or a comparable replacement for anywhere near $1.3 mil.

    -Catanzaro is playing for $900k this year. What will he command in a new contract.

    - Ealy as you mentioned. He's only making $886k this year. If he keeps on playing as well as he has what will he command?

    As I said they are only a couple of examples.

    My bottom line is that all of that cap room will get eaten up in a hurry. If we were to cut the 5 guys you mentioned & have to sign 33 guys at say an average of $1mil per then that's $33 mil off the top right there. And I think that an average of $1mil per is a lowball estimate.

    And even drafting replacements will not be cheap:

    -Our 1st rounder next year will cost about what Adams is costing & that's $4.8 mil.

    -Our 2 second rounders will likely cost about what Josh Martin costs & that's $1.8 mil each.
    "On to 2017"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO