Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baker Mayfield enters the conversation...

Baker Mayfield enters the conversation...

No one put Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott in the first round. And last year just about every draftnik from Kiper to McShay tried very hard to find warts in Deshaun Watson game but Inhad a feeling he was legit. My ideal draft was Cook and then Watson second. It could've gone Watson and Cook, one and two. But that's spilled milk at this point.

Mayfield is a bigger stronger Manziel. He also likes to party a bit, but he is 100% committed to football. The guy plays with a lot of fire and unlike Manziel he runs in order to throw, not the other way around, you look at his eyes are always looking down field. He actually reminds me of Brees in terms of size and attitude. Brees was a fiery little guy too at Purdue.

This guy right now is sneaking into first round/second round conversation. Watch him become the best of the bunch.

Ham where are you? Maybe you get a second chance at Manziel here... Not quite as loosey goosey running, but he looks similar, better passer too.
    Ain't nobody better mess with the fine feathered figaro!

I like this kid!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oIF072O8kHc

Hadn't been paying much attention but I am now! He one fiery SOB! Very competitive, his accuracy deep is impressive and he's always moving,'his feet don't stop. He's electric!

I would go Barkley 1 and Mayfield 2... That's my wet dream right now.

I love watching his highlghts, Ham if you're listening, this guy reminds me of Manziel, but I think he's a way better NFL prospect.

I think he's better than Prescott, Watson and Wilson, he's that type of player but I think he will be better.

I will give you feedback as an OU fan that has seen every game Mayfield has played at OU.

I agree with the Manziel comparison on only one point. They both have the ability to extend plays. The huge difference, IMO, is that Manziel would consistently run backwards to extend a play and then throw up a jump ball to Mike Evans. Evans bailed him out of so many plays at A&M it was ridiculous. Mayfield, for the most part, runs laterally or forward when he scrambles and keeps his eyes downfield, but not fixated on one receiver.

Now to Mayfield...

Positives: excellent leadership; does not rattle easily; keeps his eyes downfield; extends plays; knows his receivers strengths and weaknesses; exceptional at pocket movement and setting up his Oline blocking (this may be his most outstanding skill)

Negatives: average, but not bad, arm strength; needs to be more aware of when to bail on a play and throw it away (he takes the occasional bad sack); has had some maturity issues, mainly the public intox arrest and spiking the flag at OSU

In general:
    Here is what has impressed the hell out of me with Mayfield this year...coming into the season he had the following on his shoulders: an embarrassing public intox video, a new head coach, losing Joe Mixon, Sanje Perine and DeDe Westbrook to the NFL.

He not only overcame those things, but he is right in the thick of Heisman consideration. Although they lost a horrendous game last week, he played well and moved the team. The defense was the issue. Last year the whole team, including Mayfield, was flat in the opener and they lost to Houston. This year he refused to let that happen. After a slow start against UTEP he was amazing for the last three quarters, which tells me he learned from last year.

My projection for him in the NFL is that he will get a shot to start, but if he doesn't make it as a starter he will be a successful backup in the league for a long time. His game is leaps and bounds ahead of Manziel as far as knowing his receivers and making throws.

Perfect Fit: Jacksonville - Bortles is not improving, they will probably have a draft pick 15 or later; a better than average run game and reunite him with DeDe Westbrook and he could be very successful
    Last edited by kamobile; 10-11-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamobile View Post
    I will give you feedback as an OU fan that has seen every game Mayfield has played at OU.

I agree with the Manziel comparison on only one point. They both have the ability to extend plays. The huge difference, IMO, is that Manziel would consistently run backwards to extend a play and then throw up a jump ball to Mike Evans. Evans bailed him out of so many plays at A&M it was ridiculous. Mayfield, for the most part, runs laterally or forward when he scrambles and keeps his eyes downfield, but not fixated on one receiver.

Now to Mayfield...

Positives: excellent leadership; does not rattle easily; keeps his eyes downfield; extends plays; knows his receivers strengths and weaknesses; exceptional at pocket movement and setting up his Oline blocking (this may be his most outstanding skill)

Negatives: average, but not bad, arm strength; needs to be more aware of when to bail on a play and throw it away (he takes the occasional bad sack); has had some maturity issues, mainly the public intox arrest and spiking the flag at OSU

In general:
    Here is what has impressed the hell out of me with Mayfield this year...coming into the season he had the following on his shoulders: an embarrassing public detox video, a new head coach, losing Joe Mixon, Sanje Perine and DeDe Westbrook to the NFL.

He not only overcame those things, but he is right in the thick of Heisman consideration. Although they lost a horrendous game last week, he played well and moved the team. The defense was the issue. Last year the whole team, including Mayfield, was flat in the opener and they lost to Houston. This year he refused to let that happen. After a slow start against UTEP he was amazing for the last three quarters, which tells me he learned from last year.

My projection for him in the NFL is that he will get a shot to start, but if he doesn't make it as a starter he will be a successful backup in the league for a long time. His game is leaps and bounds ahead of Manziel as far as knowing his receivers and making throws.

Perfect Fit: Jacksonville - Bortes is not improving, they will probably have a draft pick 15 or later; a better than average run game and reunite him with DeDe Westbrook and he could be very successful

His arm is stronger than Watson's, arm strength is not a problem.

I watched a fair amount of Russell Wilson in college, I felt he was a special talent and absolutely pro caliber, however I also doubted he would succeed based on height. So he obviously shattered the concept that sub 6'2" QBs never succeed. This kid is what 6'1" right?

So on one hand, Wilson now stands as case against short QBs never making it. Prior to that, Flutie at like 6'0" I think was the best you could point to (modern day speaking) and he hardly stands out as a "long term successful starter" This kid is a touch taller than both, and while I have to learn from my mistake of doubting Wilson just based on height, I still have to point to the history of this league and say that successful, sub 6'2" QBs are ultra rare and almost non-existent. One anamoly does not open the door for more. it's still just an anomoly.

But with that said, I see far more Wilson than Manziel in this kid. Kamobile's point is a very good one, this kid moves forward and lateral in the pocket looking to gain yards while still seeking an open receiver. Manziel was just a manic scrambler which in college, combined with outstanding athletic ability ends up making lots of positive plays but in the NFL spells disaster. Russell Wilson style play is the goal, and this kid looks a lot like him.

But that 6'1" stature, well it would be nice to see at least two success stories of Wilson's level, not just Wilson alone. Maybe this kid becomes #2, but for right now, odds are pretty long. Russell Wilson is special. Flutie was not special enough. This kid has an inch on Flutie though, LOL.
    Last edited by JWilly; 10-11-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JWilly View Post
    I watched a fair amount of Russell Wilson in college, I felt he was a special talent and absolutely pro caliber, however I also doubted he would succeed based on height. So he obviously shattered the concept that sub 6'2" QBs never succeed. This kid is what 6'1" right?

So on one hand, Wilson now stands as case against short QBs never making it. Prior to that, Flutie agt like 6'0" I think was the best you could point to and he hardly stands out as a "long term successful starter" This kid is a touch taller than both, and while I have to learn from my mistake of doubting Wilson just based on height, I still have to point to the history of this league and say that successful, sub 6'2" QBs are ultra rare and almost non-existent. One anamoly does not open the door for more. it's still just an anomoly.

But with that said, I see far more Wilson than Manziel in this kid. Kamobile's point is a very good one, this kid moves forward and lateral in the pocket looking to gain yards while still seeking an open receiver. Manziel was just a manic scrambler which in college, combined with outstanding athletic ability ends up making lots of positive plays but in the NFL spells disaster. Russell Wilson style play is the goal, and this kid looks a lot like him.

But that 6'1" stature, well it would be nice to see at least two success stories of Wilson's level, not just Wilson alone. Maybe this kid becomes #2, but for right now, odds are pretty long. Russell Wilson is special. Flutie was not special enough. This kid has an inch on Flutie though, LOL.
    Flutie was a generous 5'10".

If you want to get a good look at Mayfield, this weekend is a good opportunity because OU/Texas is always televised. There are two other players to watch:

Mark Andrews - TE - 6'5", 254lbs - This guy might be the best TE in the country. Outstanding hands, gets open and makes clutch plays. He's fun to watch and can lower his head and bang around DB's when he catches in space.

CeeDee Lamb - WR - 6'1, 174lbs - A true freshman. Not big, but explosive and makes big plays. He got hurt last week so not sure if he's playing, but if he does you'll hear his name.
    Last edited by kamobile; 10-11-2017 at 07:47 PM.

I thought he was 6'. Regardless, who else is there? I forgot about Brees, he is 6' I think. That's freaking it. You gotta go back to Tarkenton.

Just sayin, betting on any sub 6'2"guy is ultra long shot.

Dak Prescott is the same height, Drew Brees is 6.0, Michael Vick, the guy in Buffalo now, all under 6.2.

Being short has his advantages, his movement in the pocket and elusiveness is amazing.