Thread: IR

remsponge

IR

DE Daeshon Hall was been placed on IR with the knee injury he suffered in the preseason. Hopefully he can get it fixed and be ready to practice next spring.
    FS Dezmen Southward was promoted from the PS to take his place. With Byrd and Jones playing FS until Coleman returns, that's a good move.
    Byrd is better than Southward, but history suggests he might get hurt, and Jones should stick to special teams.
    "I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

This year's draft haul is bad in terms of productivity :-(
    FA is 50-50 with Peppers a pleasant surprise so far, and Kalil, an expected bad one.

Combined with the rumors surrounding contract extensions with Olsen and Davis, the front office losses, it's no wonder that Gettleman was on the way out

remsponge
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashanth View Post
    This year's draft haul is bad in terms of productivity :-(
    FA is 50-50 with Peppers a pleasant surprise so far, and Kalil, an expected bad one.

Combined with the rumors surrounding contract extensions with Olsen and Davis, the front office losses, it's no wonder that Gettleman was on the way out
    We can only hope at this point that Gettleman is on the way out.
    I give him credit for the Olsen deal. Instead of more money he handed out incentives, which for a player of his age made sense, and post-injury look downright prophetic.
    Davis, however, is visibly a step slower this year as should be expected. He may (should?) retire after this season.

As for Gettleman's draft picks:

I think McCaffrey was a good pick.

Samuel has been hurt too much to tell how good he is, but honestly rookie WRs taken after the first round don't usually contribute all that much. His value shouldn't be judged yet.

Moton isn't starting, but he is in position to back up every spot on the line except center if need be, and that kind of depth was a major issue for several years. He may take over a starting role later this year as inevitable injuries happen, and it will be good to have talent on hand. Depending on how Norwell's contract negotiations and Matt Kalil's health turn out, Moton could be a starter next year at any of three different positions. Even if he isn't doing anything right now, I think the team did well picking him.
    Hall always seemed a bit light for a DE, and with all the veterans ahead of him I figured this would be a redshirt year for him anyway. With a little added weight and experience he could be a 3rd down pass rusher like Addison was for a few years.

I had high hopes for Elder at nickel back because I've never been overly impressed by Munnerlyn, who is a good tackler but gets picked on because of his height. He's another whose value will have to be judged later.

The most frustrating part of the whole draft for me was Butker. He did absolutely everything asked of him - made every preseason game kick, put his kickoffs through the endzone - to beat out the more expensive Gano, and is now playing lights-out for the Chiefs because the Panthers stuck with the veteran who just went out and missed an extra point against the Pats. Picking Butker was Gettleman's move, but sitting him and letting him go was all on Hurney. Ask the Buccaneers about the cost of sticking with a proven veteran kicker when younger, cheaper options were available.
    "I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain