Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey Larry re: Yanks

Quote Originally Posted by leftylarry View Post
    Best managed game of Girardi's career but even so, DH'ing Ells instead of Headley was crazy stupid.
    They both stink but at least Ellsbury was swinging the bat well the last couple of weeks.

This is what I would do during the off-season.
    1.I'd package Castro and some youngsters in a deal for another Starter, assuming there is one available.

2.I'd let Todd Frazier go and play Andujar at third along with Headley who could also see time at first and DH, while he finishes his contract.

3.I'd take on somebody else very BAD contract so I could dump Ellsbury on someone, Ells is bad, he blocks Hicks , who has a better arm and more speed now and i believe Hicks will hit, hit big time with a healthy off season next year.

4.I'd put Gleyber at 2nd base and forget him there, let him develop.If he's that good, let him play, we can back him up with TOE and Wade and Nick SOlak is great as a back up plan if Gleyber is counterfeit, which I doubt he is.

5.I'd resign CC for 1 year at $12,000,000

6.I'd hope Tanaka walks but if he doesn't, I'd go all in on Otani, who is a must get.Problem is, Otani's advantage will be that he projects as a guy who can hit .300 with power, so pitching in the NL where he's like having a DH is a huge advantage and he can pinch hit there also if he's really that good, so Yankees could lose him.

7. I would NOT sign a DH, I'd let Tyler Austin RH, Billy McKinney LH, Jake Cave LH , Sanchez, Headley be the DH's and give guys a day off there too, you cna always find a DH later in the season in a salary dump.

8.I'd rehab Betances as a reliever, who is unhittable when he's good, along with Green, D'ROb, Kahnle & Chapman and I have a great bullpen. Guys knocking on the door like Ben Heller (who I think has potential to be knock out against righty hitters) and Giovanny Galegos who might be OK, not sure on him AND I'd take a long hard look at DOMINGO GERMAN and CHANCE ADAMS, who if they can't stay as starters, could easily become knock out long men and even 1 inning guys, but throw mid 90's as relievers and both have more than 2 pitches.

9.I'd let Gardner play out his last year as the starting LF and back up CF, while FLorial plays double and then triple A.

10 .I'd look to see if I could make a deal for a good hitting BUC, so i could replace Romine and let SAnchez play some DH, at least once a week.

11.Shreve sucks, not a ML pitcher, love to find a loogy, I haven't given up on Caleb Smith yet, any lefty who has decent control and can hit 95 has potential to find a role but a LH reliever who is death on Lefty hitter's would be a nice asset.

So basically, I'm worried about payroll, so don't know if i can find a light's out starting pitcher who is going to be in the 20 million plus range and still stay under the cap.
    I'm guessing Tanaka stays, CC is resigned on the cheap (especially if he steps up in the play offs), Sevy and Sonny Gray make 4 and Monty is 5.
    A lot depends on how well we look against Cleveland this weekend.
    Here are some reports on future Yankee starting pitching prospects that I like a lot:

http://pinstripedprospects.com/pinst...er-perez-18827

https://www.fanragsports.com/pleskof...mingo-acevedo/

https://yanksgoyard.com/2017/08/14/d...yankees-value/

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017...couting-report

http://pinstripedprospects.com/jorge...fastball-25069

Brian Keller, RHP, Yankees (High A Tampa, Florida State League)
    Ht/Wt: 6’3” / 170 lbs B/T: R/R Age (as of April 1st, 2017): 22 y, 10m
    Season Stats: 33 IP, 26 H, 11 ER, 6 BB, 30 SO (promoted from Class A Charleston on July 5)

The right-hander threw his first career complete game shutout on Friday, holding the High A Palm Beach Cardinals to just two hits and one walk in Tampa’s 1-0 win. Keller has pitched three other complete games this season, but each of those were only six innings long because of the games were part of minor league seven-inning double-header games. Keller, drafted out of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the 39th round last June, features a fastball that flirts with the middle 90s for now, along with above-average command. Despite being taken so late in the draft, Keller has advanced through the Yankees system quickly. Last season, he climbed his way through three rungs, pitching successfully at the Gulf Coast League, New York-Penn League, and the Appalachian League, boasting a 0.88 ERA in 41 total innings. Keller has continued his ascension in 2017 with his recent promotion from Class A Charleston to High A Tampa.
    Last edited by leftylarry; 10-04-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsMan57 View Post
    They both stink but at least Ellsbury was swinging the bat well the last couple of weeks.
    Headley was one of our most clutch hitters the entire season.TAke away the one bad month where he was dismal and i'm pretty sure he hit around .300 the rest of the year.

Ells swings at everything, doesn't work the count, has become a bad player.

CHASE HEADLEY

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
    1st Half 78 74 320 279 36 70 18 1 4 36 6 2 36 82 .251 .341 .366 .706 102 5 3 0 2 2 6 .338 87 91
    2nd Half 69 62 266 233 41 70 12 0 8 25 3 0 24 50 .300 .366 .455 .821 106 5 3 1 5 0 5 .344 116 119
    Months

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
    April/March 23 22 97 83 17 25 7 0 3 8 4 0 14 19 .301 .402 .494 .896 41 0 0 0 0 0 2 .361 136 148
    May 23 21 90 85 5 14 4 1 0 13 1 0 4 29 .165 .211 .235 .446 20 2 1 0 0 0 3 .250 18 20
    June 24 23 100 81 10 24 4 0 1 11 1 2 16 21 .296 .410 .383 .793 31 2 1 0 2 2 1 .377 111 111
    July 26 22 98 90 16 30 9 0 1 10 0 0 7 24 .333 .388 .467 .854 42 1 1 0 0 0 2 .446 125 128
    August 27 25 106 86 13 23 6 0 4 10 1 0 13 23 .267 .362 .477 .839 41 2 2 1 4 0 2 .302 120 121
    Sept/Oct 24 23 95 87 16 24 0 0 3 9 2 0 6 16 .276 .326 .379 .706 33 3 1 0 1 0 1 .304 86 92

Quote Originally Posted by ibleedgreen View Post
    Truth is, all the Sox top starters have been lit up in recent weeks, so I have my doubts (esp. after what happened last year). Pomeranz has been spectacular for most of the year, like Sale, but both could have a bad start. It happens.

One wildcard to watch is Price. Since he's come back as middle-to-late reliever, he's been lights out and pinpoint accurate. He and Kimbrel will be tough on any lineup. Scoring late for either team would be really tough.
    I think your overrated pitching staff has money issues going forward.

Keep in mind the scouting reports need to be taken with a grain of salt, for yAnkees they usually are negative.
    As a for instance they said Judge would be a .240 hitter with 30 HR power on the high side, Sevy they said would never be a starter, reliever only (maybe after last night they are right).

Frecier Perez has found tremendous fastball command this season and is an athletic guy who can repeat his deliever at 6'8.

Acevedo has the pitches and has been lights out on occasion, he could be your #1 someday.

Depaula & Guzman have to grow up but both have the arms and moxie.

I left out ALbert Abreu who many think is the best but I don't trust guys who get arm injuries, they tend to reoccur but who knows?

I think SHeffield and Adams are relievers in the end but both can pitch.

I'm pretty surprised Bryan Mitchell hasn't stepped up, plenty of arm there, thought he would be our next Shane Green.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylarry View Post
    HUGE, HUGE HUGE game tonite!

Is Severino up to it?
    Can Yankee hitters lay off the low and away slider from Santana?
    Good Sevy or bad Sevy tonight?

I'm looking for Bird to hit a big dinger, looking to Didi for 2 doubles!
    Well, Sevy sucked, bad Sevy reappeared, DIdi hit a dinger and Bird a big RBI single.

Y'all are probably bashing Giarardi or that pinch runner, but at least your team shows some heart and fight! LOL I'm sure it was very painful to watch at times, but at least it was a great game.

The Yanks are further along than the dead team walking Sox, surprisingly. John Farrell blows.

Cleveland vs. Houston will be a great ALCS.
    Last edited by ibleedgreen; 10-07-2017 at 02:15 PM.

I guess that long run of high caliber yanks-sox rivalry is not quite baked yet.

Sox needed Sale to go out there and dominate. When that didn't happen, it got ugly quick. Certainly not on one guy but in the MLB playoffs, you need your ace to win. Future still bright for both clubs though. These two AL opponents are stupid good.

Quote Originally Posted by ibleedgreen View Post
    Y'all are probably bashing Giarardi or that pinch runner, but at least your team shows some heart and fight! LOL I'm sure it was very painful to watch at times, but at least it was a great game.

The Yanks are further along than the dead team walking Sox, surprisingly. John Farrell blows.

Cleveland vs. Houston will be a great ALCS.
    Pulling CC
    Sticking with Green too long
    Not challenging the HBP call

Yeah...Im bashing him today. He killed us yesterday. Had we beaten Kluber and brought it back to NY at 1-1 we had a real shot. Now its over. he may never live that inning down.
    Last edited by MSGold12; 10-07-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGold12 View Post
    Pulling CC
    Not challenging the HBP call

Yeah...Im bashing him today. He killed us yesterday. Had we beaten Kluber and brought it back to NY at 1-1 we had a real shot. Now its over.
    Pulling CC was somewhat questionable, but it's not like he was lights out. That vaunted BP should have been able to protect a 5 run lead. It was a bit conservative, but I can see making that move if you are all hands on deck mode (knowing 0-2 is almost certain death unless you have David Ortiz).

And they didn't have the benefit of the super slow-mo replay when they made the call on not challenging. Otherwise, like the play at second, there was no way to know.

I'd blame the pinch runner getting picked off and then out of position on the winning hit more than him. Was it on Girardi for pinch running? And Chapman nearly tossed the game away too on that stupid throw while he was falling backwards. That guy is mistake waiting to happen.

But like I said, at least you got an exciting game to watch. Both of the Sox games were over in about 15 minutes.
    Last edited by ibleedgreen6; 10-07-2017 at 04:27 PM.