Hybrid View

Hey Larry re: Yanks

So, if the Yanks go into 2018 with the following roster:

C- Sanchez, Romine
    INF- Bird, Torres, DiDI, Castro, Torreryes, Headley
    OF- Judge, Gardner, Ellsbury, Hicks, Frazier
    SP- Severino, Tanaka, Gray, Montgomery,
    RP- Chapman, Betances, Robertson, Green, Kahnle, Shreve, Warren

Thats 24 players leaving one spot open to add a starting pitcher.

Factoring in raises for the abritiration and pre arbitration players I calculate their payroll to be somewhere in the 150-160 mil range. They could lower that significantly should Tanaka walk or they trade Gardy, Betances or Headley. But if this roster goes in as constructed (whihc would be fine by me), adding one more pitcher is doable and staying under the lux tax. Even if its bringing CC back on a 1 year deal at 10-12 mil. But I'd rather hope Tanaka walks away, we resign CC cheap and then make the blockbuster type trade I suggested for an ace.

Yankees have a huge rule 5 problem, worst in baseball even AFTER all of the trades.
    I expect a 3-4-5 for 1 trade or if they can't find that, they'll trade guys for low A players like they did last year.

Guys who will surely be lost in rule 5 if you don't put them on the 40 man are Billy McKinney, Jake Cave, Domingo Acevedo, Thairo Estrada, Stephen Tarpley LH pitcher (guaranteed).These guys are too good to lose for nothing, the others you might have to let go or at least expose.
    There's a group of 3-4 who are ML ready and a bunch more with talent but you can't keep everyone when your system is loaded.
    Reggie JAckson is in love with Rashad Crawford but YAnkees won't protect him. Feyereisen will be taken too, he's ready to help a team, etc.
    I would hope and pray YAnkees find a taker for Ellsbury and or Gardner, they are the same player and Hicks is good enough to play CF for both of them.
    I ithnk Hicks can hit .280+ with 25+ dingers next year in YAnkee stadium.He has some Bernie WIlliams in him but with a great arm.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylarry View Post
    Yankees have a huge rule 5 problem, worst in baseball even AFTER all of the trades.
    I expect a 3-4-5 for 1 trade or if they can't find that, they'll trade guys for low A players like they did last year.

Guys who will surely be lost in rule 5 if you don't put them on the 40 man are Billy McKinney, Jake Cave, Domingo Acevedo, Thairo Estrada, Stephen Tarpley LH pitcher (guaranteed).These guys are too good to lose for nothing, the others you might have to let go or at least expose.
    There's a group of 3-4 who are ML ready and a bunch more with talent but you can't keep everyone when your system is loaded.
    Reggie JAckson is in love with Rashad Crawford but YAnkees won't protect him. Feyereisen will be taken too, he's ready to help a team, etc.
    I would hope and pray YAnkees find a taker for Ellsbury and or Gardner, they are the same player and Hicks is good enough to play CF for both of them.
    I ithnk Hicks can hit .280+ with 25+ dingers next year in YAnkee stadium.He has some Bernie WIlliams in him but with a great arm.
    All the more reason to move some of the major league ready talent who are blocked by existing kids to an attempt to get a stud to pair with Severino.

I look at it this way. This team won 91 games and finished 2 games behind the Sox with Sanchez, DiDi, Castro, Ellsbury, Chapman, Bird and Hicks ALL missing 20 to 50+ games. They did it wiht Tanaka having a 4.70 ERA, woht CC missing starts, wiht PIneida lost for the year, and Betences having an off year. This team is on the verge NOW of being dominant but needs that bona fide ace for the playoffs that Im not sure Severino is yet. Sp package some players, get the stud #1, make the runs before the current kids start getting to expensive to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGold12 View Post
    All the more reason to move some of the major league ready talent who are blocked by existing kids to an attempt to get a stud to pair with Severino.

I look at it this way. This team won 91 games and finished 2 games behind the Sox with Sanchez, DiDi, Castro, Ellsbury, Chapman, Bird and Hicks ALL missing 20 to 50+ games. They did it wiht Tanaka having a 4.70 ERA, woht CC missing starts, wiht PIneida lost for the year, and Betences having an off year. This team is on the verge NOW of being dominant but needs that bona fide ace for the playoffs that Im not sure Severino is yet. Sp package some players, get the stud #1, make the runs before the current kids start getting to expensive to keep.
    I'm not suggesting Betances is untouchable, I'm saying his value is way, way down.
    You're late on this idea.
    I have been killing Cashman an entire season on Yankees boards for not trading for SALE and I'm not a Sonny Gray fan.
    My hope is Tanaka walks, Yankees sign Otani and do a major deal for a starting pitcher.
    Just don't think Betances , Gardner/Ellsbury/Headley/ ROmine are worth very much , if anything.
    Teams aren't stupid.
    Yankees pretty much would have to give up 2 of Gleyber Torres, Clint Frazier & Estefan FLorial and probably 2 of Acevedo, Abreu, Perez, Mckinney and one more A level prospect who has a good chance.
    COuld happen but it should have with SALE and we win the division by 5-6 games.

Remember we had a healthy highly regarded kaprelian and a healthy Dustin Fowler and MAteo & Wade too.
    Last edited by leftylarry; 10-02-2017 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylarry View Post
    I'm not suggesting Betances is untouchable, I'm saying his value is way, way down.
    You're late on this idea.
    I have been killing Cashman an entire season on Yankees boards for not trading for SALE and I'm not a Sonny Gray fan.
    My hope is Tanaka walks, Yankees sign Otani and do a major deal for a starting pitcher.
    Just don't think Betances , Gardner/Ellsbury/Headley/ ROmine are worth very much , if anything.
    Teams aren't stupid.
    Yankees pretty much would have to give up 2 of Gleyber Torres, Clint Frazier & Estefan FLorial and probably 2 of Acevedo, Abreu, Perez, Mckinney and one more A level prospect who has a good chance.
    COuld happen but it should have with SALE and we win the division by 5-6 games.

Remember we had a healthy highly regarded kaprelian and a healthy Dustin Fowler and MAteo & Wade too.
    I agree about Sale...felt it at the time that we missed the boat on him. But that was also when nothing was expected of this team this year so maybe that figured into Cashmans thinking? I mean who thoght this team would win 91 games? Vegas over/under was what? 83?

But now, between their embarrassment of riches in the bullpen and (as you said) so mnay prospects that they have a Rule 5 problem, isnt this a good time to try and pout together a package for an ace? Forget Noah...the Mets will never trade with us even though as I said I think its the perfect partner. But there has got to be somoneone else out there to target. And Id give up anyone other then Torres (considering they may sign a Bryce Harper or Many Machado after 2018 anyway) to get a true ace.

That said, wiht that line up, that pen and a rotation of Severino, Tanaka, Gray, Montgomery and CC, I think this is a 98-100+ win team. The line up is lethal and should be even more so wiht a healkthy Bird and Torres added. I see Montgomery taking the next step in 2018 and develping into a solid #2 type. I hope tanaka walks but he'd be crazy to and Im sure he can piytch to better then a 4.8 ERA next year. Gray is fine as a middle-end rotation starter, and if we can bring back CC on the cheap thats a hell of a #5. My concern is still not having that shut down ace for the playoffs unless Severino takes it ot the next level in 2018.

IM not talking dealing the vets (alhtough they may want to just to dump some salary) but Betances is young and even wiht an off year was pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGold12 View Post
    I agree about Sale...felt it at the time that we missed the boat on him. But that was also when nothing was expected of this team this year so maybe that figured into Cashmans thinking? I mean who thoght this team would win 91 games? Vegas over/under was what? 83?

But now, between their embarrassment of riches in the bullpen and (as you said) so mnay prospects that they have a Rule 5 problem, isnt this a good time to try and pout together a package for an ace? Forget Noah...the Mets will never trade with us even though as I said I think its the perfect partner. But there has got to be somoneone else out there to target. And Id give up anyone other then Torres (considering they may sign a Bryce Harper or Many Machado after 2018 anyway) to get a true ace.

That said, wiht that line up, that pen and a rotation of Severino, Tanaka, Gray, Montgomery and CC, I think this is a 98-100+ win team. The line up is lethal and should be even more so wiht a healkthy Bird and Torres added. I see Montgomery taking the next step in 2018 and develping into a solid #2 type. I hope tanaka walks but he'd be crazy to and Im sure he can piytch to better then a 4.8 ERA next year. Gray is fine as a middle-end rotation starter, and if we can bring back CC on the cheap thats a hell of a #5. My concern is still not having that shut down ace for the playoffs unless Severino takes it ot the next level in 2018.

IM not talking dealing the vets (alhtough they may want to just to dump some salary) but Betances is young and even wiht an off year was pretty damn good.
    HUGE, HUGE HUGE game tonite!

Is Severino up to it?
    Can Yankee hitters lay off the low and away slider from Santana?
    Good Sevy or bad Sevy tonight?

I'm looking for Bird to hit a big dinger, looking to Didi for 2 doubles!

This is what I would do during the off-season.
    1.I'd package Castro and some youngsters in a deal for another Starter, assuming there is one available.

2.I'd let Todd Frazier go and play Andujar at third along with Headley who could also see time at first and DH, while he finishes his contract.

3.I'd take on somebody else very BAD contract so I could dump Ellsbury on someone, Ells is bad, he blocks Hicks , who has a better arm and more speed now and i believe Hicks will hit, hit big time with a healthy off season next year.

4.I'd put Gleyber at 2nd base and forget him there, let him develop.If he's that good, let him play, we can back him up with TOE and Wade and Nick SOlak is great as a back up plan if Gleyber is counterfeit, which I doubt he is.

5.I'd resign CC for 1 year at $12,000,000

6.I'd hope Tanaka walks but if he doesn't, I'd go all in on Otani, who is a must get.Problem is, Otani's advantage will be that he projects as a guy who can hit .300 with power, so pitching in the NL where he's like having a DH is a huge advantage and he can pinch hit there also if he's really that good, so Yankees could lose him.

7. I would NOT sign a DH, I'd let Tyler Austin RH, Billy McKinney LH, Jake Cave LH , Sanchez, Headley be the DH's and give guys a day off there too, you cna always find a DH later in the season in a salary dump.

8.I'd rehab Betances as a reliever, who is unhittable when he's good, along with Green, D'ROb, Kahnle & Chapman and I have a great bullpen. Guys knocking on the door like Ben Heller (who I think has potential to be knock out against righty hitters) and Giovanny Galegos who might be OK, not sure on him AND I'd take a long hard look at DOMINGO GERMAN and CHANCE ADAMS, who if they can't stay as starters, could easily become knock out long men and even 1 inning guys, but throw mid 90's as relievers and both have more than 2 pitches.

9.I'd let Gardner play out his last year as the starting LF and back up CF, while FLorial plays double and then triple A.

10 .I'd look to see if I could make a deal for a good hitting BUC, so i could replace Romine and let SAnchez play some DH, at least once a week.

11.Shreve sucks, not a ML pitcher, love to find a loogy, I haven't given up on Caleb Smith yet, any lefty who has decent control and can hit 95 has potential to find a role but a LH reliever who is death on Lefty hitter's would be a nice asset.

So basically, I'm worried about payroll, so don't know if i can find a light's out starting pitcher who is going to be in the 20 million plus range and still stay under the cap.
    I'm guessing Tanaka stays, CC is resigned on the cheap (especially if he steps up in the play offs), Sevy and Sonny Gray make 4 and Monty is 5.
    A lot depends on how well we look against Cleveland this weekend.
    Here are some reports on future Yankee starting pitching prospects that I like a lot:

http://pinstripedprospects.com/pinst...er-perez-18827

https://www.fanragsports.com/pleskof...mingo-acevedo/

https://yanksgoyard.com/2017/08/14/d...yankees-value/

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2017...couting-report

http://pinstripedprospects.com/jorge...fastball-25069

Brian Keller, RHP, Yankees (High A Tampa, Florida State League)
    Ht/Wt: 6’3” / 170 lbs B/T: R/R Age (as of April 1st, 2017): 22 y, 10m
    Season Stats: 33 IP, 26 H, 11 ER, 6 BB, 30 SO (promoted from Class A Charleston on July 5)

The right-hander threw his first career complete game shutout on Friday, holding the High A Palm Beach Cardinals to just two hits and one walk in Tampa’s 1-0 win. Keller has pitched three other complete games this season, but each of those were only six innings long because of the games were part of minor league seven-inning double-header games. Keller, drafted out of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the 39th round last June, features a fastball that flirts with the middle 90s for now, along with above-average command. Despite being taken so late in the draft, Keller has advanced through the Yankees system quickly. Last season, he climbed his way through three rungs, pitching successfully at the Gulf Coast League, New York-Penn League, and the Appalachian League, boasting a 0.88 ERA in 41 total innings. Keller has continued his ascension in 2017 with his recent promotion from Class A Charleston to High A Tampa.
    Last edited by leftylarry; 10-04-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Keep in mind the scouting reports need to be taken with a grain of salt, for yAnkees they usually are negative.
    As a for instance they said Judge would be a .240 hitter with 30 HR power on the high side, Sevy they said would never be a starter, reliever only (maybe after last night they are right).

Frecier Perez has found tremendous fastball command this season and is an athletic guy who can repeat his deliever at 6'8.

Acevedo has the pitches and has been lights out on occasion, he could be your #1 someday.

Depaula & Guzman have to grow up but both have the arms and moxie.

I left out ALbert Abreu who many think is the best but I don't trust guys who get arm injuries, they tend to reoccur but who knows?

I think SHeffield and Adams are relievers in the end but both can pitch.

I'm pretty surprised Bryan Mitchell hasn't stepped up, plenty of arm there, thought he would be our next Shane Green.

Y'all are probably bashing Giarardi or that pinch runner, but at least your team shows some heart and fight! LOL I'm sure it was very painful to watch at times, but at least it was a great game.

The Yanks are further along than the dead team walking Sox, surprisingly. John Farrell blows.

Cleveland vs. Houston will be a great ALCS.
    Last edited by ibleedgreen; 10-07-2017 at 02:15 PM.

I guess that long run of high caliber yanks-sox rivalry is not quite baked yet.

Sox needed Sale to go out there and dominate. When that didn't happen, it got ugly quick. Certainly not on one guy but in the MLB playoffs, you need your ace to win. Future still bright for both clubs though. These two AL opponents are stupid good.