Thread: Eagles' offense fed off LeGarrette Blount running angry vs. Chargers

Eagles' offense fed off LeGarrette Blount running angry vs. Chargers

Matt Lombardo
    NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

CARSON, Calif. -- LeGarrette Blount only registered one touch against the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 2 at Arrowhead Stadium, and that performance fueled the veteran running back and the Eagles' offense in Sunday's 26-24 win over the Los Angeles Chargers at StubHub Center.

Perhaps no run has been more impactful on an Eagles season over the past five years than Blount's 68-yard stampede through the heart of the Chargers' defense with the Eagles nursing a 19-17 lead with 13:42 remaining after Los Angeles had scored and appeared to seize the momentum.

Sprung by a Zach Ertz block, Blount dashed through the line of scrimmage, bounced off would-be-tacklers eventually was tripped up from behind at the 3-yard line.

Wendell Smallwood ultimately punched in the score, but it was Blount's violent running style that gave Carson Wentz and the offense a chance to extend the lead.

"LeGarrette was running pissed off," roomie running back Corey Clement said. "That's what you want out of him. He's just a force to be reckoned with every time he gets the ball. If there's a 3rd down and 1, I know he's going to get 11 yards, or 15 yards off of it. That's what you want to feel, that energy."

Blount refused after the game to address the lack of work against the Chiefs, or the fact that here had been plenty of criticism heaved his way after rushing for 46 yards through the first two weeks of the season.

"I don't have any grudges against anybody," Blount said. "I know what I can do. I know that I'm one of the better backs in this league, as far as running the football. I'm always going to run with that passion and that confidence. There's no chip in my shoulder or anything like that.

"I don't feel like it's a redemption. It's just the opportunities. Whenever the opportunities present themselves, you have to take advantage of them."

At least over the past two games, the Eagles identity appears to be becoming that of a running team, and Blount has been a driving force behind that transformation from an offense that dropped the quarterback back to pass 56 times against the Chiefs.

"It's awesome," Wentz said after the game. "It makes my life easier. Seeing the O-line get super-excited about him, too. We fuel off that emotion and that energy, when a guy's like LeGarrette's bouncing off tackles and making people miss. I can't wait to see it on film, too. It was one of the most impressive runs I've seen in my life, live."

More so than taking pressure off of Wentz and becoming a focal point in the offense, Blount says that he can feel his confidence and that of his teammates taking hold over the past two games.

"It's all about confidence," Blount said. "Running hard. Great guys having your back. All 11 guys doing their jobs. Obviously, the other guys on the other side of the field get paid to make plays, too.

"Obviously, like I said, with the offensive line that we have, with the receivers that we have that block downfield, Carson getting us into the position to make the right plays, it's going to be pretty hard to stop us."

'Pound The Rock' ....
    Last edited by Talon_60; 10-02-2017 at 03:58 AM.
    "E-A-G-L-E-S ... EAGLES!"