Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT- The Yanks can save the Mets AND become even better

Nice to read you again Larry, it's been a while.

I agree, it's tough to give up on young guys in general and watch them blossom someplace else. The only thing that has made is ok recently as a Sox fan is that we already had several draft picks working out and seemingly cemented as a core for years to come. Now that the Yanks are developing that on the field as well, they may be able to use some future prospects to add a stud pitcher, or what not. So MSG's thinking makes sense, if you are sold on the guy as a true ace that can withstand the pressure of playing in NY City. That's a huge deal for the Yanks and Sox. Plenty of talented guys just don't fit here. They become perennial chokers, like ARod or an assortment of busts in New England and Boston.

Hard to tell which talented kids to give away and which FAs to bring in. That's where the scouts and GM earn their keep ... or not.

I think yankees have more than "are developing that" already.
    Bird, Judge, Sanchez, Severino, Montgomery, Austin, Green have all come up from the farm system recently and DIDI , Hicks and Castro were acquired for Yankee developed farm system players mostly.
    yankees had the best farm system in baseball earlier this season and probably last season too and some of the top prospects in baseball, like Gleyber Torres, are yet to emerge.
    The system is deep and might be deeper still if some of the kids from the 2014 class, like Estefan Florial, the five tool CF'er, Dermis Garcia a Sanchez-like 3rd baseman , Luis Medina, a Severino type hitting 100 mph continue to develop.
    Yankees are at least equal in young players with Sox, who have a talented crew also but keep in mind Yankees kept winning 80+ games and remained in the play off hunt , every year while doing so.
    If I remember correctly, Red Sucks tanked a few times totally to rebuild.

What's your opinion on my Kershaw scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by JWilly View Post
    I will be as objective as possible as a Sox fan...

Trade on paper pretty much works. For me though, if I'm running the Yanks I'd rather buy pitchers and keep my farm, even though next year's class of FA doesn't have an abundance of legit aces. Kershaw COULD become one, and choosing to become one when going to NY to pitch out the rest of your career for the historic Yankees with a fantastic lineup of young players already in place, well, that is not a stretch at all. He had some back issues this year, that's not a warm fuzzy thing, but hey, Syndegaard is coming off a major injury himself, these are things that are always in play. I'd say Kershaw opting out to come to the legendary Yanks who are posied to contend for the entire duration of Kershaw's career is more likely than the Mets agreeing to trade an ace to the Yankees, as you already said anyway how unlikely that would be.

So yeah, for me from a Yankee side I like the farm. I think the farm is HARDER to attain than a strong rotation WHEN (and this is of course key) you can spend like the Yankees can. Larry mentioned Sale and he's right, of course the Yankees should have signed him, and of course the Sox should have signed him, and did. But IMO as great as it is to have an ace, an overall strong caliber rotation is even better and when you are a contender lineup and have the ability to spend at the highest limits of the sport, you can BUY rotations and you can be successful without one true dominant ace. And again, Kershaw is an ace and could be enticed to come east IMO with that kind of a carrot.

And with that said, Lord I hope that doesn't happen!!!!!!! LOL
    I see your point and again I admit this trade will never ever happen but what the point of "keeping the farm" when "the farm has already arrived"? If Torres moves to 2B and Castro to 3B then Andujar is blicked anyway. PLus the Yanks may very well take a run at Machado. Sanchez is already catching so Romine isnt going to start. Florial has big upside but with Judge entrenched, Ellsbury committed to and Hicks here they would be fine plus Florial is a couple years away. Betnences is not the farm and the Yankls may look to move him now anyway before they have to commit big dolars to him. Frazier and Montgomery would hurt but still...youre getitng back a stud (and his injury wasnt "major"...it was a lat tear") #1 and nopt having to commit 8 years and 175 mil to him as you would via FA like Kershaw.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylarry View Post
    I think yankees have more than "are developing that" already.
    Bird, Judge, Sanchez, Severino, Montgomery, Austin, Green have all come up from the farm system recently and DIDI , Hicks and Castro were acquired for Yankee developed farm system players mostly.
    yankees had the best farm system in baseball earlier this season and probably last season too and some of the top prospects in baseball, like Gleyber Torres, are yet to emerge.
    The system is deep and might be deeper still if some of the kids from the 2014 class, like Estefan Florial, the five tool CF'er, Dermis Garcia a Sanchez-like 3rd baseman , Luis Medina, a Severino type hitting 100 mph continue to develop.
    Yankees are at least equal in young players with Sox, who have a talented crew also but keep in mind Yankees kept winning 80+ games and remained in the play off hunt , every year while doing so.
    If I remember correctly, Red Sucks tanked a few times totally to rebuild.
    I don't know if they tanked, but they definitely fell apart in fantastic fashion. I also seem to recall Yankee fans being very happy about the old guard moving on and then these young kids came up and have proven their worth.

You seem to be making a case that the Yanks have an embarrassment of riches so they should be following MSG's lead.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylarry View Post
    Betances has little value off a difficult season and pending arbitration followed by free agency, Mets aren't stupid, you'd have to sell low on him.
    Montgomery has value , why trade him if you're keeping all the costly relief pitchers to come in after 6 innings anyway.
    A guy showed all the pitching sabremetrics on Pettitte and Montgomery and Monty wins in almost all.These youngsters don't care about wins/ losses anymore, though I do.
    I would say getting Syndergaard would look something like : Gleyber Torres, Estefan Florial, Andujar, Tate/Abreu ( or equivalent) and maybe the two Domigoes,
    Doubt Mets would be interested in Chance Adams or Justis Sheffield both are limited prospects who are overhyped, Domingo German probably is in their class, might actually have more upside.
    Yankees best pitching prospects IMO are : Albert Abreu, Domingo Acevedo, Dillon Tate, Jorge Guzman, Freicer Perez ( personal favorite) Brian Keller ( 39th rd steal) and then the top 4-5 guys they drafted this season all of whom have a real chance to make Yankees look smart, though I'm skeptical about the first Rounder who had TJ surgery.
    Im not giving up Torres. If that kills the trade then so be it. But I do think that IF the teams agreed to trade wiht each other that a deal cojuld be worked out that does not include Torress.

Quote Originally Posted by ibleedgreen View Post
    I don't know if they tanked, but they definitely fell apart in fantastic fashion. I also seem to recall Yankee fans being very happy about the old guard moving on and then these young kids came up and have proven their worth.

You seem to be making a case that the Yanks have an embarrassment of riches so they should be following MSG's lead.
    Exactly. Thats kind of my point. There is only room for so many young guys and with Judge, Sanchez, Bird, Castro, Toress, and DD already in place, the rotation fairly set and the pen already dominant...how many more kids can you keep before you try and parlay them into the final pieces of the puzzle to make the title runs?

IMO adding a young, true #1 SP to this team (a la Sale who I agree Cashman screwed up in not getting) makes them a 95-100+ win team for the next 5-7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JWilly View Post
    What's your opinion on my Kershaw scenario?

Kershaw isn't going anywhere next year. He's signed through 2020 & has an out after the 2018 season.

Besides that the Dodgers have a young & talented team that will be very competitive for the foreseeable future.
    "On to 2017"

Quote Originally Posted by MSGold12 View Post
    Exactly. Thats kind of my point. There is only room for so many young guys and with Judge, Sanchez, Bird, Castro, Toress, and DD already in place, the rotation fairly set and the pen already dominant...how many more kids can you keep before you try and parlay them into the final pieces of the puzzle to make the title runs?

IMO adding a young, true #1 SP to this team (a la Sale who I agree Cashman screwed up in not getting) makes them a 95-100+ win team for the next 5-7 years.
    Not so sure Mets are trading him and they aren't taking anything less than Yankees top2-3 prospects and then some.
    Yes Yankees needed to do a 3-4-5 for 1 deal on top of what they did in the Sonny Gray deal which I'm NOT a fan of.
    Early on before some were injured White Sox would have looked long and hard at taking Kaprelian, Rutherford, Fowler and Abreu as the centerpieces in a deal for Sale.
    Cashman failed.