Thread: Shula

Shula

This guy can't produce against a weak Saints D.
    Needs to be fired before he turns McCaffrey into a bust. BTW, all the hype is gone. HE is just another gimmick toy drafted too high.ne s
    My point is, why draft someone so high and not use him right? They could have used it on some defensive player, and drafted another gimmick at maybe round 7 ?
    This is too much to take from out so-called OC. FIRE HIM already!
    Last edited by Prashanth; 09-24-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Fire Rivera first. You CANNOT punt down 18 from the opponents 35 yard line. That is absolutely PATHETIC and inexcusable and is 100% a fireable offense for a coach who's been around as long as Rivera.

Sorry, Ron. I think you're a classy guy but you don't have the guts to win in the NFL. Goodbye and good riddance to your pathetic offensive coordinator too.

EDIT: Oh, and kicking the field goal last week against Buffalo DECREASED our chance of winning. Again, he should know better. He did the same thing 4 years ago and it literally cost him the game.

While we're at it, we need to dump Cam. Trade him for whatever we can before the rest of the league realizes how bad he is.

Scion of House Gladney
    I've been saying Rivera and Shula are horrible for years. Literally. Some have defended them, but at some point you just need to admit it. They're HORRIBLE. Neither are NFL-caliber coaches (Rivera possibly as DC?). Cam had a bad game too. I like him, but one of the reasons I think coaching sucks is that I believe they coddle him too much. I could be wrong as I'm not at the practices/meetings. But he hasn't progressed as he should in the 5+ seasons he's played. Still holding on too long, still locking in, accuracy not gotten better, etc. I'm SURE the injuries will come up as an excuse and "we need to execute" bullshit, but most fans understand now that execution isn't the issue. When you call a run play up the gut against an 8-man box it's not on execution. When you call a deep pass play while behind by a lot, knowing the opposing defense is pinning their ears back gunning for the QB, you don't understand the game itself. I'm sorry, but this is atrocious. Punting from the 35 while down by 18? Who the fuck does that? Other than Rowboat Ron that is. Obviously, Rowboat Ron will do it.

At this point I can't believe that the front office doesn't see this (the coaching) as a huge obstacle to moving forward. Sadly, I don't think they have the cojones to do a damn thing about it.

I'll admit, I did detach a bit emotionally from the team when they fired Gettleman. In fact, this loss didn't even bother me like others have in the past. I was a fan of Gettleman's as I saw him moving the team forward, removing dead money, bringing the cap in line and drafting solid players that might not be super in their rookie year but would reap dividends down the stretch. I was like "finally we have someone who has a clue and we can work on being a dynasty like NE" and then BAM! They let him go. Not only that, they did it right before camp and unceremoniously as an insult. JR is not a good owner. He may be a good person, but he is not a good "owner". He claims to care about winning and fools the fanbase into believing it and then goes all HOMER on the players and coaches when everyone with an iota of sense realizes they are past their prime or just not good. Too bad. He likes them so they stay! In other words...a bad owner.

I'm sure I'll get that magic feeling again and I'll still watch the games etc., but right now the feeling is definitely less than any other year in the team's existence. Perhaps it's just that I am older and have a lot of other interests. Perhaps not. I used to be a huge Braves fan (watching most every game) but then Ted sold the team to a corporation and I just lost that feeling and for them, it never came back. I knew the corporation wasn't interested in winning, just in turning a profit so I couldn't give my allegiance to an owner who didn't care about winning, just wanted my money. I hope to god I don't end up feeling that way about the Panthers, but that can't be predetermined. I'll either feel it or not. Firing Rivera and Shula and bringing in some real offensive talent in the coaching staff would go a long way towards keeping that magic feeling, but I just don't think Richardson is a good owner. So...nada on that. I'd even put money down that after a shitty year Rivera and Shula will still be here. Blaming injuries again of course.

Oh well, good luck to all you. I'll still post and watch the games, but I haven't been this demoralized about the franchise itself ever. The fact the loss isn't even really bothering me is testament to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherpike View Post
    I'll admit, I did detach a bit emotionally from the team when they fired Gettleman.
    You aren't alone in that. I still look on in interest sorta like a stay at home mom might watch her soaps, but that's about it and it's hard to say that I'm an actual fan anymore. All these years of Big Cat talking about how he admired the way the Giants and Steelers organizations were run. Then he finally gets a GM who will run the team like that and what does he do? Fired ... Just like his sons ... See? Soap opera. The one about The Team with a Black Cat for a Mascot ...

Lord Of The Onion Rings
    Tons of things wrong.

I get Shula is a figurehead, of sorts. The whole thing was broken this week. But we single him out. I don't see the value. I guess it's more polarizing to blame Cam, Kalil, Funchess, etc. I had problems with all of them, and Mike Shula, and Ron Rivera. That was one of Cam's worst games, rust or not. You don't get points for trying too hard. I get the "they called this play, it didn't work out, so therefore it was the playcall" thing. But I don't agree. Blame the man for being in charge for execution, but I've literally read, ten times today,

"well they should pass short more."
    "But they did, here's examples of tons of short passes and a lot of them weren't successful because _______"
    "well they should pass intermediate more."

I don't know. I don't get why they were bad, and I study film. I saw a team that didn't rise to the occasion in two phases of football, and I didn't have a schematic problem with either.

And no, I don't believe Jerry Richardson is that good an owner. He's consistently put The Shield ahead of his team, and now he's withdrawn and prone to over-react because he's focusing on the franchise now, because he can't pretend to be league-wide influential after the way relocation meetings went.

I think this could work out to be a decent team, and I believe that some things I saw this week suggest it could still be a functionally good offense (in the same ways that the defense of the last two weeks showed up occasionally this week). But it's obviously a lot less likely than we believed it was this time last week.

Mags, what are your thoughts on punting from the NO 35 down by 18?

remsponge
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan4GS View Post
    punting from the NO 35 down by 18?
    That was what infuriated me. Play calling can be bad, execution can be bad, and those things are recoverable. To me, punting there signals either resignation to losing the game or a mindset dangerously devoted to riding the defense to victory regardless of offensive output. The former is unforgiveable in the middle of the third quarter. The latter is what eventually led the fan base to abandon John Fox. It would be nice one day to have a head coach who was an offensive coordinator and who is devoted to trying to score 40 points per game if possible. It seems that the entire history of the franchise has involved head coaches who were content to win games 10 to 3 and general managers who pursued that as a goal. Even Gettleman repeatedly drafted defensive linemen high and early but picked up cheap offensive linemen off other teams' scrap heaps or drafted them late. Punting instead of attempting a 52 yard field goal there with no wind makes me wonder why we have even one kicker on the roster, much less two. If they are only for kickoffs, we could just carry a punter and always go for two point conversions.
    "I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Lord Of The Onion Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan4GS View Post
    Mags, what are your thoughts on punting from the NO 35 down by 18?
    that's a thing I was referencing with blaming Rivera (along with not going for it from the 2 last week). I see his point, much like I see a lot of Shula's, but that's a different blurb; with Rivera not going for it, he's seeing the offense not making it. Which based on the product, is somewhat reasonable, I guess. In his mind, you go because you have the ability to get it. In my mind, he had little left to lose.

I'm not damning Rivera to save Shula. I truthfully have allegiance only because they're "ours". I'll defend that I generally like the way they do business, schematically. I don't think scheme is the concern.
    Last edited by magnus; 09-26-2017 at 06:57 PM.