Thread: Battle of the unbeatens in Detroit

Head Coach Material

Battle of the unbeatens in Detroit

The last time the Lions and Falcons met it was in London. It was a good game but somewhat typical of what we've seen from the Falcons to this day. At halftime the Falcons were up 21-0. And then it happened like a recurring nightmare,...a Lions FG, a 60 yds. TD pass from Stafford to Golden Tate, two more FGs and another short TD toss and the Lions beat the Falcons 22-21. Speaking of Golden Tate?,...7 receptions for 151 yds.

This was 2014, HC Mike Smith's last season with the Falcons,...a 6-10 season and it capped off a 5 game losing streak.

Dat was den dis is now. Today's Falcons defense has 9 different NEW starters from the one in 2014. There are 4 new starters on the O-line since 2014 and new tight end(s) and new running backs, three new WRs,...and this is really incredible the turnover of players from 2014 to today. But too ya gotta say no wonder. Changing the offense to another scheme as well as the D means the new schemes require a different style athlete, so it makes sense.

This'll be the third straight game the Falcons face an NFC North team to start the season. A win in Detroit would leave the Vikings as the final obstacle for the Falcons to win the NFC North,...to steal a Jerry Glanville notion. But many Falcons fans are nervous 'bout this game. Falcons fans are sooooo insecure and really can't blame them after the years of getting they hearts broked. They know the game well and recognise the Lions are a good team is all. I agree.

This game should prove to be interesting. The Lions have aspirations of winning the division sitting at 2-0. Remember the Lions did go 9-7 last year and were a wildcard playoff team, losing to the Seahawks 26-6. The Falcons are also 2-0 and have the Panthers and Bucs dead on they ass, record-wise, this early in September. Every win in the NFL is important. There could be a period of a few games there's injuries or ya simply run up on hot teams.

Yes, the 2015 Falcons started off 5-0 and didn't make the playoffs,...last year they lost the 1st game of the season and go to the Super Bowl. But,...3-0 sounds, feels better than 2-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Penumbra View Post
    Dat was den dis is now...
    Suh Nuff, the Lions won't have the huge DT this time! In the Battle of Matts Ryan had a much better QB rating in dot game too. Stafford throws more yardage. Let's see the next game for the Lions after the bye in 2014, was against Miami. They won that too, and proceeded to an 11-5 reg. season first year under Caldwell Banker.

This time Matt Ryan will have even better RB help to day nothing of Julio Jones. Who does Stafford have now that they didn't have back then?

Head Coach Material
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundermerikan View Post
    Suh Nuff, the Lions won't have the huge DT this time! In the Battle of Matts Ryan had a much better QB rating in dot game too. Stafford throws more yardage. Let's see the next game for the Lions after the bye in 2014, was against Miami. They won that too, and proceeded to an 11-5 reg. season first year under Caldwell Banker.

This time Matt Ryan will have even better RB help to day nothing of Julio Jones. Who does Stafford have now that they didn't have back then?
    You always ask a question, which is fine. But it requires an answer and I'm very glad to do that. Reminds me of the classic,...Guardian of Forever,...

Golden Tate for one and a better O-line is what Stafford has.

Yes sir, you know your game. After that win over the Dolphins the Lions lost AT Pheonix and then had nooooo chance AT the Patriots,...it was a close game in Arizona but they got blowed out in Foxboro,...home damned cooking of course, look at the boxscore. Had no chance did they. But then came back home and routed the Bears on they way to a 4 game winning streak. I was wrong, it wasn't the Seahawks they lost to in the wild card round, it was the Cowboys.

Some of us are interested in the game up thar in Naw Joisey,...Dolphins are 6 point faves. And some of us are desirous one team from the AFC East dethrones the Pats,...and when and if it happens we'll see that NFL franchise come down to Earth. Just a wish, hope it comes true. But right now the only team that can do that are the Dolphins. The Bills?,...the Jets?

No can do. Hate to be non-Finnish in this regard but the Fins are lucky to have beaten the Stupor-Chargers. We look to Falcons or smother NFC team in the SB or an AFC powerhouse like Broncos to do the deed. Chiefs have taken advantage of grogginess typical of Pats starting the season. See in mine own opinion of course, those guys are like the corporate business team of the NFL.

In my theory if any NFL team had lived under the same organizational controls that corporate manufacturers put up with, they would be successful. In your world-wide competition only the highest Q.C. and leanest methods survive, everything else gets winnowed out. Now in the NFL all the stank comes around next season for another merry go round much to the benefit of teams like the Patriots.

The bottom line is decision making. It's all mental, every one of the players has to own up to his role. But the QB has a bigger role and commensurately more important is a consensus between said QB and receivers.

Fins have done pretty well lately, and if you look at him the coach is a stickler for detail -- he writes down every penalty like Nick Saban used to -- and he's great working with QB's and the offense in general -- a Field General.

Now I could be mistaken but Q is more of a Defensive guy, so all what counts upstairs is between Falcons O-Coordinator and your Matthew.

It's physical too, and if Ryan doesn't take a lot of hits he's better off. I think Stafford looks like he's bigger & heavier than Ryan. He's better able to withstand punishment.

Head Coach Material
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundermerikan View Post
    No can do. Hate to be non-Finnish in this regard but the Fins are lucky to have beaten the Stupor-Chargers. We look to Falcons or smother NFC team in the SB or an AFC powerhouse like Broncos to do the deed. Chiefs have taken advantage of grogginess typical of Pats starting the season. See in mine own opinion of course, those guys are like the corporate business team of the NFL.

In my theory if any NFL team had lived under the same organizational controls that corporate manufacturers put up with, they would be successful. In your world-wide competition only the highest Q.C. and leanest methods survive, everything else gets winnowed out. Now in the NFL all the stank comes around next season for another merry go round much to the benefit of teams like the Patriots.

The bottom line is decision making. It's all mental, every one of the players has to own up to his role. But the QB has a bigger role and commensurately more important is a consensus between said QB and receivers.

Fins have done pretty well lately, and if you look at him the coach is a stickler for detail -- he writes down every penalty like Nick Saban used to -- and he's great working with QB's and the offense in general -- a Field General.

Now I could be mistaken but Q is more of a Defensive guy, so all what counts upstairs is between Falcons O-Coordinator and your Matthew.

It's physical too, and if Ryan doesn't take a lot of hits he's better off. I think Stafford looks like he's bigger & heavier than Ryan. He's better able to withstand punishment.
    Absolutely an awesome post man. haha the merry go round is a great analogy. Agreed. So,...my Father bless his soul, always said the NFL is "fixed." Was he correct? It is a fact and I've said it before, the Falcons must beat their opponent and the refs. Through the years I've studied these trends and if teams other than the NFL faves wanna win more games?,...they best be ready for this. It's happened too many times and man, how can ya fix that? Anytime,...I mean ANYTIME a team goes to Foxboro or Pittsburg you best not touch a WR,...you best not hold on the line,...you best be careful while they're allowed to hold,...allowed to tuck at WRs, allowed to get away with murder.

There's a whole lotta money wagered on the NFL each week. And the NFL apparently feels the Patriots will provide the best bang for they buck, perhaps. Dog eat dog.

Yes, Q's offense is run sole by the O-coor. His focus is defense. And yes, Matty has a whole lotta say in the offense, my goodness man, he's a 9 year vet with HOF stats already.

But yeah,...like said, only the Dolphins are able to bring the Patriots' wall down. Given time we'll see those walls crumble.