Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Letting Tannenbaum and Rex go was a mistake...

Letting Tannenbaum and Rex go was a mistake...

I knew it then, and I know it now. Those guys got the Jets to straight back to back AFC Championship games, they won four away playoff games. Even at their worst the defense played with a lot of fire. The 14 team that won 8 games did it all on guts, they quit in 14 because the entire fanbase, the media and the ownership had sealed Rex's fate.

Rex loved the Jets, he bled green, his players bled green. So did Tannenbaum, he came up with the Jets, Idzik and McCagnan have been atrocious at best. In the meantime Tannenbaum has constructed a winning team in Miami while we continue to draft strong safeties that can't cover and DE's that can't run.

Go out and start fresh again, I mean GM and coaching staff, this one sucks from top to bottom, man i cNnot stand that shit grin on Bowles face, get him he fck out of here!
    Ain't nobody better mess with the fine feathered figaro!

Quote Originally Posted by slikmojet View Post
    I knew it then, and I know it now. Those guys got the Jets to straight back to back AFC Championship games, they won four away playoff games. Even at their worst the defense played with a lot of fire. The 14 team that won 8 games did it all on guts, they quit in 14 because the entire fanbase, the media and the ownership had sealed Rex's fate.

Rex loved the Jets, he bled green, his players bled green. So did Tannenbaum, he came up with the Jets, Idzik and McCagnan have been atrocious at best. In the meantime Tannenbaum has constructed a winning team in Miami while we continue to draft strong safeties that can't cover and DE's that can't run.

Go out and start fresh again, I mean GM and coaching staff, this one sucks from top to bottom, man i cNnot stand that shit grin on Bowles face, get him he fck out of here!
    Actually, we should have stuck with Mangini, Tanny could have worked with him too. I

Team Owner
    Blame the regimes all you want. It won't matter.

It's the owner. He allows a caustic atmosphere around the team, allows the franchise to be made the punchline by every media outlet, listens to fans outrage and makes adjustments, craves publicity and has no concept of how to run an organization, set the tone as a leader, command respect of his own employees, or make any strategic decisions about the direction and future of this franchise on his own. He allows the GM/HC to set the tone and culture for the franchise and just keeps on rotating new people in that will simply appease him and his need for involvement in the operations.

People want us to go get John Dorsey. Honestly if I was a respected football executive I'd never consider the JEts as a viable landing spot. Sure if nobody else wanted me, I'd go there, but to choose this place as a landing spot when you can pick literally anywhere else? Easy choice. Avoid this tire fire and the weak willed coward who runs it.

But sure...lets start fresh again. It will be different this time.
    J-E-T-S! It's not exactly a passion, it's generally more of a sickness.

FACT: The New York Jets will never win a Super Bowl with Woody Johnson as the owner.

Team Owner
    The owner allows the media to dictate what happens with the franchise.

Rex is the best coach the team had since Parcells, Belicheat couldn't win 4 games with Mark Sanchez at qb, Jeremy Kerley & Clyde Gates as your #1 wr's and Antonio Allen and Marcus Williams at CB but that's why Rex got canned because he couldn't win with that $hit salad, the idiot media and most fans are jacka$$es and ran the guy out of town.

Well you got "grown up" no personality Toilet Bowles who can't coach a lick but hey he's a "grown up" and there's no "circus" in town, LOL.

OK, can we all take a step back here for a moment and stop revising history...

1. Yes, I fully agree that this all starts at the top. Woody is a joke loser who needed to pay a consulting firm 100K to find him John Idzik. he is a lucky sperm club nerd who likes playing with his NFL toy because it makes him relevant. His biggest "business decisions" to date was relying on a West Side stadium that everyone knew was never going to happen and then planting his teams roots permanently smack in the middle of his arch rivals fan base. he built himself a billion dollar joke of a stadium and destroyed a 40,000 person wait list with his PSLs in the process. But hey, he got to be on HBO and poeple now know who he is...so he's happy so long as the team is "relevant" which is the WORST attitutde to take in the NFL. So YES, Woody is the MAJOR problem here just like Hess was before him. Perhaps Woody being away for 3 years will change things but I have my doubts. His leadership has lead this team to being a joke and media punching bag like never before in their history. Now, that said...

2. Tannenbaum: Please. He's built a winner in Miami? Really? What have they won??? And whiule I am the first to admit that for a while I was on board with his "go for it" way of GMing, in the long run his impulsiveness and lack of patience has put us where we are today just as much as Idzik did. After his terrific 2006 draft, how many drafts did he nail between 2007 and 2012? How many "4 player" drafts did we have because of his trades? How badly did the core of thjis team rot away under his stewardship? And you want to kill Mac for Hack? OK...then you also have to kill Tanny for Sanchez as well as the extension he gave him...and at least Mac only used a #2. And lets not forget the "conditional" Vilma trade that backfired, the total screwing up of the franchise tag in the Revis situation, the "conditional" Revis trade that backfired, and the trading of pick after pick to either move up for a guy that busted or for a vet that was let go shortly after. Oh and two more words: Tebow and Gholston. Tanny started out strong but the WORST thing that ever happened to him was that he made the playoffs in year 1 and got cocky and rather then keep building he "went for it" year after year. And if he were still here we still wuold have won nothing and we'd still have the "build on the fly" mentality that has gotten us nowhere. Tanny got us close, I give him that. But he has no CLUE how to build a team.

3. Mangini: In SOME ways Mangini got a tough break. He didnt want Favre and then was sandbagged when Favre failed. I get that. I also thin Mangini had a better idea of how to build a team long term then Tanny ever did but he too got cuaght up in the "win now" mentality after year 1 when he thought he was the "Mangenius". Mangini's problem was simple and one that many coaches from famous coacing trees have: he thought he could duplicate BB but wihtout the street cred to do it. BB gets away wiht what he does because he's won. People forget that he got passed over in NY, failed miserably in CLe and was on the verge of being fired in NE. It was onlt after he won 3 out of 4 that he could basically be a total a-hole and get away with it. Mangini treid that as a kid HC wiht no resume and it backfired with the players, the GM and the owner. That 2008 team was primed to win a SB before they collapsed and Mangini lost them. Plus, his defenses were not exaxtly impressive. And if Mangini was so terrific, why did he flame out so fast in CLE (where he tried the same approach) and hasnt been hired since? The idea that we'd have been better off keeping Mangini has merit from a continuity standpoiunt but nothing else. He has never proved, eiother here or in CLE, that he was a winning HC.

4. Rex: Oh dear God can we please stop. Rex inherited a team that was 8-3 the year before and on their way to a SB when favre got hurt and it all collapsed. Yes, he had Sanchez in 2009 but he also had a 1400 yard rusher in JOnes, great WRs, the best OL in football, and a defensive FULL of studs. And yes, his defensive schemes were much better then Mangini's and our 2009 defense was proably the best one in the hisroty of the franchise (also thanks to Revis). But Rex was also a f-ing baffoon. His team was run like a frat house whihc if you are winning is fine and dandy but when the team started to deteriorate under tanny and then Idzik, he was clueless. He had no idea about offesne and didnt care (he hired Tony Sporano for God sake). Other teams cuaght on to his defenses after a while and he wasnt nearly as effective. And his bombastic media nonsense just made the franchise look stupid. By 2012, when the core of those AFCCG teams was aging, Rex was useless as a HC. His defeses got worse and worse despite multiple #1s being used there and his lockeroom got more and more out of control. And his player development? Non existant. Yes his players loved him....wouldn t you? No accountability, never get called out and pretty much let the inmates run the asylum. Then he goes to Buf and takes a decent existing defense and runs that into the ground with his idiot brother who HE hired...and now hes in the broadcast booth. Lets be frank...he was passed over in Balt for a reason in favor of the ST coach. Rex was a child who acted like a frat boy idiot and made deicsions the same way. yes he was sabotaged by Idzik but he got another job, stunk at that one also and like Mangini will proably never head coach in the NFL again.

As for Mac...I have no idea but so far not so good. I dont see him maximizing the draft or his players developing (although that may also be on Bowles who sucks worse). His premium picks (beyond Leo) are not making impacts the way they should be and I dont know that I trust his player evaluation to be the guy who wil likely be picking our next QB. But I dont see Woody/little bro scrapping it all unless the #1 overall and 80 mil in cap space can entice a true football guru to take over. And IF they dont scrap it all, I see Bowles getting shit canned befroe Mac does (whihc will bring on a whole new set of problems as we yet again are dysfunctional but that for another post). So I think Mac is going to stay another year at least and while that may not be sound ridiculous to jet fans, the idea that we'd be in SO much better shape had we just stayed with mangini/Tanny or Rex/Tanny is equally ridiculous. Yes, it starts at the top...but the guys just below were NOT nearly as good at their jobs and some here may like to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLs StepChild View Post
    Blame the regimes all you want. It won't matter.

It's the owner. He allows a caustic atmosphere around the team, allows the franchise to be made the punchline by every media outlet, listens to fans outrage and makes adjustments, craves publicity and has no concept of how to run an organization, set the tone as a leader, command respect of his own employees, or make any strategic decisions about the direction and future of this franchise on his own. He allows the GM/HC to set the tone and culture for the franchise and just keeps on rotating new people in that will simply appease him and his need for involvement in the operations.
    You're absolutely right, and for that reason the only chance is to FINALLY hire a veteran HC with a track record. There is very little, if any, reason to be optimistic that we will, or even CAN make that happen. But that brings me to the next point...

Quote Originally Posted by NFLs StepChild View Post
    Honestly if I was a respected football executive I'd never consider the JEts as a viable landing spot. Sure if nobody else wanted me, I'd go there, but to choose this place as a landing spot when you can pick literally anywhere else? Easy choice. Avoid this tire fire and the weak willed coward who runs it.

But sure...lets start fresh again. It will be different this time.
    Ok, there is one pretty significant selling point entering 2018 that we have NEVER had before, of course assuming this on field shit show continues, that is a VERY attractive point to any potential HC/regime. If we really do land ourselves a stud FQp prospect, well... more than a few veteran NFl HCs have BUILT THEIR LEGACIES around having an elite QB for a good period of time. That is absolutely attractive and what you say is certainly true but this Jet job has ALWAYS come with dogshit at QB. So the best asset for a HC/regime to have is ALWAYS a worst case scenario with the Jets job. you think "no coach would want this job" if Aaron Rodgers was the QB?

And even if Darnoldt/Rosen streak right to the #1 slot with "best in decades" accolades, Woody will STILL have to BREAK THE BANK to get a legit HC in here. But it will be a hell of a lot easier to get the "yes" with a stupid fat contract PLUS a #1 FQB.

Jim Harbaugh would turn down $15m per and a potential 10 year ride with Darnoldt as his QB? Ok, make it $18m. $20m? This franchise is worth BILLIONS, and winning is worth MORE BILLIONS, a $20m HC salary is NOTHING when you have been losing for decades and winning grows the value of it A LOT!!!

If Woody wants to win, and i believe he does, he HAS TO see the failed results of hiring up and comers. he did TRY to retain Parcells so it's not an impossible concept for him to think proven vet. And while I 100% agree with your assessment that he caves to the media and moment, I do believe he wants the glory of being a "winning owner" and not the EMBARASSMENT of being a laughing stock failure. And i also believe that if he actually did get a "yes" from a Harboagh/Gruden caliber coach, Woody is no way in hell micro-managing that guy. Hell, right now he is letting Mac run a tank job. he's not microing that.

This is it. This is the off season where we get the WHOLE THING, the real deal regime and the FQB. OR... Woody f@cks this one up, and this franchise is 100% F@CKED for the long term until this owner literally drops the f@ck dead.

I have to believe that Woody is gonna throw big money around at the usual assortment of vets HCs, and if we get the FQB, and he pans out, then the "usual assortment" of vet HCs is ALL WE NEED.

As I've been saying, if we EVER had hope, we have more of it right this second than EVER BEFORE. We have hope of landing a legit (potential) elite QB, and I THINK, Woody is going to break the bank to get a REAL regime in here.

We'll see.....
    Last edited by JWilly; 09-18-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGold12 View Post
    OK, can we all take a step back here for a moment and stop revising history...

1. Yes, I fully agree that this all starts at the top. Woody is a joke loser who needed to pay a consulting firm 100K to find him John Idzik. he is a lucky sperm club nerd who likes playing with his NFL toy because it makes him relevant. His biggest "business decisions" to date was relying on a West Side stadium that everyone knew was never going to happen and then planting his teams roots permanently smack in the middle of his arch rivals fan base. he built himself a billion dollar joke of a stadium and destroyed a 40,000 person wait list with his PSLs in the process. But hey, he got to be on HBO and poeple now know who he is...so he's happy so long as the team is "relevant" which is the WORST attitutde to take in the NFL. So YES, Woody is the MAJOR problem here just like Hess was before him. Perhaps Woody being away for 3 years will change things but I have my doubts. His leadership has lead this team to being a joke and media punching bag like never before in their history. Now, that said...

2. Tannenbaum: Please. He's built a winner in Miami? Really? What have they won??? And whiule I am the first to admit that for a while I was on board with his "go for it" way of GMing, in the long run his impulsiveness and lack of patience has put us where we are today just as much as Idzik did. After his terrific 2006 draft, how many drafts did he nail between 2007 and 2012? How many "4 player" drafts did we have because of his trades? How badly did the core of thjis team rot away under his stewardship? And you want to kill Mac for Hack? OK...then you also have to kill Tanny for Sanchez as well as the extension he gave him...and at least Mac only used a #2. And lets not forget the "conditional" Vilma trade that backfired, the total screwing up of the franchise tag in the Revis situation, the "conditional" Revis trade that backfired, and the trading of pick after pick to either move up for a guy that busted or for a vet that was let go shortly after. Oh and two more words: Tebow and Gholston. Tanny started out strong but the WORST thing that ever happened to him was that he made the playoffs in year 1 and got cocky and rather then keep building he "went for it" year after year. And if he were still here we still wuold have won nothing and we'd still have the "build on the fly" mentality that has gotten us nowhere. Tanny got us close, I give him that. But he has no CLUE how to build a team.

3. Mangini: In SOME ways Mangini got a tough break. He didnt want Favre and then was sandbagged when Favre failed. I get that. I also thin Mangini had a better idea of how to build a team long term then Tanny ever did but he too got cuaght up in the "win now" mentality after year 1 when he thought he was the "Mangenius". Mangini's problem was simple and one that many coaches from famous coacing trees have: he thought he could duplicate BB but wihtout the street cred to do it. BB gets away wiht what he does because he's won. People forget that he got passed over in NY, failed miserably in CLe and was on the verge of being fired in NE. It was onlt after he won 3 out of 4 that he could basically be a total a-hole and get away with it. Mangini treid that as a kid HC wiht no resume and it backfired with the players, the GM and the owner. That 2008 team was primed to win a SB before they collapsed and Mangini lost them. Plus, his defenses were not exaxtly impressive. And if Mangini was so terrific, why did he flame out so fast in CLE (where he tried the same approach) and hasnt been hired since? The idea that we'd have been better off keeping Mangini has merit from a continuity standpoiunt but nothing else. He has never proved, eiother here or in CLE, that he was a winning HC.

4. Rex: Oh dear God can we please stop. Rex inherited a team that was 8-3 the year before and on their way to a SB when favre got hurt and it all collapsed. Yes, he had Sanchez in 2009 but he also had a 1400 yard rusher in JOnes, great WRs, the best OL in football, and a defensive FULL of studs. And yes, his defensive schemes were much better then Mangini's and our 2009 defense was proably the best one in the hisroty of the franchise (also thanks to Revis). But Rex was also a f-ing baffoon. His team was run like a frat house whihc if you are winning is fine and dandy but when the team started to deteriorate under tanny and then Idzik, he was clueless. He had no idea about offesne and didnt care (he hired Tony Sporano for God sake). Other teams cuaght on to his defenses after a while and he wasnt nearly as effective. And his bombastic media nonsense just made the franchise look stupid. By 2012, when the core of those AFCCG teams was aging, Rex was useless as a HC. His defeses got worse and worse despite multiple #1s being used there and his lockeroom got more and more out of control. And his player development? Non existant. Yes his players loved him....wouldn t you? No accountability, never get called out and pretty much let the inmates run the asylum. Then he goes to Buf and takes a decent existing defense and runs that into the ground with his idiot brother who HE hired...and now hes in the broadcast booth. Lets be frank...he was passed over in Balt for a reason in favor of the ST coach. Rex was a child who acted like a frat boy idiot and made deicsions the same way. yes he was sabotaged by Idzik but he got another job, stunk at that one also and like Mangini will proably never head coach in the NFL again.

As for Mac...I have no idea but so far not so good. I dont see him maximizing the draft or his players developing (although that may also be on Bowles who sucks worse). His premium picks (beyond Leo) are not making impacts the way they should be and I dont know that I trust his player evaluation to be the guy who wil likely be picking our next QB. But I dont see Woody/little bro scrapping it all unless the #1 overall and 80 mil in cap space can entice a true football guru to take over. And IF they dont scrap it all, I see Bowles getting shit canned befroe Mac does (whihc will bring on a whole new set of problems as we yet again are dysfunctional but that for another post). So I think Mac is going to stay another year at least and while that may not be sound ridiculous to jet fans, the idea that we'd be in SO much better shape had we just stayed with mangini/Tanny or Rex/Tanny is equally ridiculous. Yes, it starts at the top...but the guys just below were NOT nearly as good at their jobs and some here may like to remember.

3. mangini was no dummy. smart guy so maybe he learned from his mistakes. he might be the perfect answer to our woes. 2nd time around might be exactly what he needed....

Ya know, that's not a terrible concept, but only after my optimistic belief that we are throwing money at PROVEN vets has completely failed. And then he better take some courses on how to get just a little bit aggressive on defense!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JWilly View Post
    Ya know, that's not a terrible concept, but only after my optimistic belief that we are throwing money at PROVEN vets has completely failed. And then he better take some courses on how to get just a little bit aggressive on defense!!!!
    Its not crazy except for one small thing...Mangini was not a great coach. He got stripped of his play calling duties in NE by BB in 2005 and while with us our defenses were never really that good. I am not against giving someone a second or even thrid shot if we go after a new HC. But I'd like someone who has a bit of a track record. Mangini made the playoffs once in 2006...thats his entire HC resume. At least BB was a successful coordinator in NY before he flamed out in CLE and then was again a successful coordinator in NE and NY before getting his next HC gig. What did Magini ever accomplish, eoither here or in CLE, to earn another shot???

Team Owner
    HC: John Gruden
    GM: Whoever the hell John Gruden wants as his GM
    Qb: Darnold or Rosen