Thread: Ugly Win

Scion of House Gladney

Ugly Win

I'll take it, but damn that was ugly. Defense is going to be great this year. Offense? Meh, we'll see. Shula, as expected, is not giving me any hope. Buffalo has a great defense so perhaps it was just that, but Shula sure seems to be calling the same ol' shit he's called for years. When they were pinning their ears back and gunning for Cam, what did he do? 7 step drop to WR's doing deep. Awesome Call!! /facepalm.

Yep. Offense sucked eggs, and Shula needs to go. No excuses for him anymore. Cam was criminally off-target to Dickson and McCaffrey on those 2 throws. The real O-Line showed up today. Thank god for the D. Still vulnerable to big plays.
    Note: Cam better start getting his timing with Dickson soon. Looks like Olsen is out with a broken foot. No more safety blanket for Cam.

Scion of House Gladney
    I'm willing to give Cam a little breathing room here. He's the one stuck with a HORRIBLE play call with like 5 seconds left and no time to make any adjustments. We had TWO, count them TWO FREAKING Delay of game penalties! Who does that?! (other than us, of course). Unacceptable. Shula needs to go. I've said it for years and have YET to be wrong. He's holding us back with his game day decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashanth View Post
    Looks like Olsen is out with a broken foot. No more safety blanket for Cam.
    Just my gut feeling but they'll short term Olson to IR, and probably resign one of the 2 FB's that were here in training camp.. mostly for that blocking role. Step up Ed Dickson, you're the next contestant on the Price is right!

Lord Of The Onion Rings
    Plenty of bad, gotta stop holding onto the ball Cam, and sure I'm not happy with an OC overseeing a disastrous 3rd Q... how much of it's R Kalil being out? One of the big men probably should play some inside. Not saying scrap Shepard or Samuel at the slot, fully, but you have to have the big body slot.

On the other hand, once the QB got comfortable, the team threw out another 8 minute drive, one that could've ended in the QB's 3rd TD, instead of being blanked. I think we're not blaming anyone if Cam makes three fairly simple throws.

Rivera is not smart. On 4th and 2, you go for it. Worst case scenario? You get to the 1 and they get the ball at the 1, down by 3, with 3 min to play. They have to run the ball to get some room---that would take at least 30-50 seconds. Then they play for the FG to tie. The same thing happened against Buffalo in 2014 nearly exactly 3 years earlier. The Panthers lost something like 24-23 on a last-second TD. Why? The Panthers kicked a FG late to go up by 6--against the Bills---in the second game of the season. You would think a light would come on for Riverboat--NOPE.

Sports Illustrated said that by kicking the FG, RR increased the Panther's chances of losing by 5%.

I can't make this stuff up. By losing the game in 2014, RR admitted the play was to go for the first down on 4th and 1. This was so similar in so many ways, there is no way RR did not remember that day. And he made the same mistake.

RR has one job on Sunday--to manage the game. Know the odds, RR. A good manager in baseball knows how good the hitter they face is against LHP. A good basketball coach knows who to foul late in the game due to free throw percentages. Know the odds, RR, that is your job--to give your team the best chance to win by managing the game intelligently.

If Zay Jones catches that pass with 14 seconds left, we would all be talking about RR's lack of acumen.
    Nolledge is Pouer.

I'm grateful for the luck we had. As bad as the offense played in the 2'nd half (1'st half was fine outside of the lack of points), to come away with a win is nice. Instead of looking back at the end of the season and thinking "Gee, we let that one get away" we will (hopefully) be thinking about playoff positioning.

I could gripe about needed improvements but I'd rather enjoy the "W".

remsponge
    Quote Originally Posted by magnus View Post
    I think we're not blaming anyone if Cam makes three fairly simple throws.
    Yep. The overthrows of Dickson and McCaffrey, if corrected, would have made the score 23-3 just like last week.
    "I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Ugly win always beats a Pretty loss.
    NFLfans 2006, 2010 Fantasy Football Champion

Got ?