Thread: Wentz already sees impact of deep-threats Alshon Jeffery, Torrey Smith

Wentz already sees impact of deep-threats Alshon Jeffery, Torrey Smith

Eagles' Carson Wentz already sees impact of deep-threats Alshon Jeffery, Torrey Smith

Matt Lombardo
    NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

PHILADELPHIA -- Still a work in progress, Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz already sees the impact of having a deep-threat on offense and expects to see the likes of Torrey Smith and Alshon Jeffery figure as bigger parts of the game plan in the near future.

Wentz completed just 1-of-7 deep-ball attempts, but head coach Doug Pederson wasted no time taking a shot downfield, dialing up Torrey Smith's number on a deep pass that was slightly under thrown on the Eagles' first offensive snap of the game.

Even though it's only one game, Wentz says that he's already seeing a difference in how the Eagles are being defended compared to a year ago when the receiving corps was comprised of Jordan Matthews, Nelson Agholor, Josh Huff, and Dorial Green-Beckham.

"I think you saw it a little bit," Wentz said of defenses paying more respect to Jeffery and Smith deep than teams did the Eagles' receivers last season. "I think you'll see it even more going forward, some things open up. Obviously, we missed a couple down the field to Torrey. We just have to get on the same page, I have to hit him on those ones."

One additional benefit of Smith and Jeffery's mere presence is that space opens up underneath for the likes of tight end Zach Ertz and Nelson Agholor to operate.

It's no secret that this offense seems to funnel through the tight end and slot receiver positions, which was even more evident as Ertz caught all eight of the passes he was targeted on for 93 yards while Agholor hauled in six of eight targets for 86 yards and a touchdown.

Wentz says he believes that having Smith on the outside is going to free up even more room for Ertz, Agholor and the running game to operate underneath because safeties can't creep up towards the line of scrimmage as they have against the Eagles in past years.

"People saw that Torrey can get behind the defense," Wentz said. "It's going to free up some things, and even more going forward. It's going to free up space for Zach Ertz and Nelson Agholor in the slot, Darren Sproles underneath, and I think that's really the name of our game. We just have to find the right balance of taking those shots and staying underneath."

We might be able to move back from the edge of our seats .
    Last edited by Talon_60; 09-14-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    "E-A-G-L-E-S ... EAGLES!"