Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with Andy Dalton?

What's wrong with Andy Dalton?

This is just another one of those strange things that just can't be explained. I had Cincinatti winning the North in my 2017 predictions Andy Dalton & A.J. Green were big reasons why.

How does a guy go from being a solid B-tier QB right there with the likes of Oakland's Carr to all of a sudden he can't play?

Shutout in week 1, four(?) picks then his unit is held to three FGs against the mediocre as eff Houston Texans. 47.2 QB rating so far in 2017.

It sounds like the Bengals defense has been playing lights out too.

@ Green Bay next week so it's not looking good for them.

We'll see.

Because he may actually never have been a B-tier QB. This rare job is all about the HEAD, and there is PLENTY of evidence to suggest that Dalton never had it, and ACTUALLY is just another guy (like your hero Fitz) who wilts under the real pressure. In Dalton's case that argument would revolve around his poor playoff performances, and the MOUNTING pressure TO OVERCOME that, and if he never had enough HEAD for that pressure than we may finally be seeing the final implosion. I'm NOT necessarily saying this is the case, I'm saying there is plenty of evidence to believe it could be.

it's very similar IMO to Sanchez except on a bigger, longer-lasting level. Sanchez was pretty decent when he was loose and the expectations were not yet heaped on him. As the expectations rose, he proved he could not handle the pressure and imploded. Dalton is similar in that he has been a quite good regular season QB, then all of a sudden it's a playoff game and he is NOT THE SAME QB. Different version of the same lack of ability to stand up to the HEIGHTENED pressure. With each season he's been able to come back and settle back into the regular season and play well. But maybe that pressure of underachieving is catching up to him and he's starting to wilt.

When you have a strong regular season player who doesn't hold up to the same level in the higher pressure games, you HAVE TO question the mental ability to survive at this level. Just like how you SHOULD HAVE understood when Fitz had a luck-ridden, "career" season in 2015 while playing cupcakes, but choked in the ONLY meaningful game vs an actual tough opponent. These are red flags.

I did think Dalton was evolving into a better QB in 2015. But then he had the unfortunate last minute injury, didn't get to play in the playoffs that season, then follows that with a total dissapointing 6 win season when they came in with high expectations. now here he is, without question HEARING IT. The pressure is huge to get back to the playoffs, and FINALLY, play up to his regular season stats when he gets there. Could finally be too much, If, that is, he never had the HEAD in the first place.

This game, and QB specifically is so situational. he's been on pretty strong talent teams his whole career. And ALL these QB prospects come in with more than enough physical talent to succeed. Some guys can coast along in a GOOD situation, surrounded by talent, for a fair amount of time without ever really being exposed as NON-PRESSURE performers. Just sayin, this could be the final wilt job for a QB who never had the head to begin with.
    Last edited by JWilly; 09-15-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Cincy is already working on fixing the situation. They're trying to swing a deal with TB to get "the general" in there. I'm thinking a 1st this year, 2nd next year & a shiny new $18 mil 1 year deal should be enough to get it done!
    "On to 2017"

It seems like a fast-paced, quick-hitting timing system, like the Pats have. Teams have figured out how to disrupt it, and seem to realize that trying to get to the passer with numbers doesn't work (in lieu of timely, well-disguised blitzes). Same thing happens to GQ Tommy when his outlets are all covered - you see a lot of patting the ball, dancing and squirming around, and throwing the ball away (fearing contact in his case). I see a lot of 3 man rushes against this type of system lately and with great success thus far. Here's to hoping the blueprint sticks.
    Last edited by ibleedgreen; 09-15-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Team Owner
    So you are saying that QB is a very cerebral position and the difference between success and failure is all in the head? As if, maybe you have to be born with the right tools?

Mind.

Blown.
    J-E-T-S! It's not exactly a passion, it's generally more of a sickness.

FACT: The New York Jets will never win a Super Bowl with Woody Johnson as the owner.

Team Owner
    I mean sure....if this were 2016. But it isn't. Double that asking price, dammit. If you are a "starter" you need to be paid like a starter...or else....disrespect. (oh no...not disrespect!) Derek Carr just got 25M per. So you have to pay the next guy up 26M per. That's how real life works.
    J-E-T-S! It's not exactly a passion, it's generally more of a sickness.

FACT: The New York Jets will never win a Super Bowl with Woody Johnson as the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLs StepChild View Post
    I mean sure....if this were 2016. But it isn't. Double that asking price, dammit. If you are a "starter" you need to be paid like a starter...or else....disrespect. (oh no...not disrespect!) Derek Carr just got 25M per. So you have to pay the next guy up 26M per. That's how real life works.
    You're correct of course Steppie, I hadn't thought the situation through thoroughly!
    "On to 2017"

Quote Originally Posted by ret2ski View Post
    You're correct of course Steppie, I hadn't thought the situation through thoroughly!
    I'm sorry, I made a serious reply to his silly post. Silly me!

Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen76 View Post
    . I had Cincinatti winning the North in my 2017 predictions And.
    I think you just answered your own question

No, I'm saying I'm sick and tired of these millionaire babies acting like sh!theads and i want to see the owners stand up to them and play hardball and cut them, or cut their pay, or let them sit home and cry.