Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The latest media rumblings concerning Andrew Luck

The latest media rumblings concerning Andrew Luck

They still haven't connected the dots what's happening in Indianapolis and the supposed golden class of QBs coming out in 2018. All in due time.

From PFT's week 1 power ranking. Yes I'm aware it was said in a joking manner still why say it at all?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-rankings-6/

32. Colts (0-1): Andrew Luck should refuse to play until he’s healthy enough to play . . . for another team.

Click the bottom link Florio has a video discussing it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-simply-false/

Agent calls rumors that Andrew Luck wants out of Indy “simply false”
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 13, 2017, 8:22 PM EDT

I’ve recently been trying to figure out the craziness in Indianapolis involving the status of quarterback Andrew Luck. Along the way, I’ve developed four different theories for the lingering absence of Luck from practices and games, along with the apparent absence of a plan to replace him while he heals from January surgery.

They are: (1) good, old-fashioned incompetence; (2) a conscious willingness to give Luck a redshirt year if necessary; (3) an effort by new G.M. Chris Ballard to tie one hand behind coach Chuck Pagano’s back in order to make it easier to fire him; and (4) a possible desire by Luck to run out of Indy while he can still walk.

While sounding this out on various platforms (including PFT Live and Wednesday’s PFT Live afternoon podcast), I made it clear that it’s just speculation, arising primarily from what I’d want if me or my kid were employed by the Colts. Look at what they’ve given him or, more accurately, what they haven’t given him. As Luck enters the front end of the prime years, his career is currently being wasted, putting him far closer to Archie than Peyton on the Manning scale.

Speaking of Archie, the notion that Luck possibly wants out can be traced to the Manning family patriarch, sort of. Luck’s father, Oliver, was a teammate of Archie’s. Oliver knows how the business works, and he’d surely prefer his son to emerge from the NFL in one piece. More than 13 years ago, Archie engineered a San Diego stiff arm for Eli; why shouldn’t Oliver at least consider an Andrew extrication from Indy?

Apparently, others have been taking it beyond speculation, actually couching it as rumor. Which has prompted Luck’s camp to try to shoot down any talk of discontent. Wednesday night, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media said on the air that Luck’s agent/uncle (or uncle/agent) called the non-rumor rumor “simply false.”

It’s odd that Luck’s camp would even address the situation at this juncture. The fact that it was shot down on the record will serve only to get more people thinking and talking about it.

Which could be part of the master plan. If so, at least someone would have a plan of some sort when it comes to the current state of Andrew Luck’s career.

And before pooh-poohing a possible trade because of the cap hit, consider this: The net charge for trading him in 2018 would be lower than the net charge for keeping him.

Besides, if he decides that he truly wants out (which frankly he should), why would the Colts want to keep him around? If the quarterback isn’t all in, things will only get worse. If, based on Sunday’s outcome in L.A., that’s even possible.

For the record I don't consider it a 100% certainty the Colts will trade Andrew Luck. IMO they'd have to be bat**** crazy to do it.

Luck is so good it's incredible how good he is.

Here's the thing if they get a high pick in the supposed golden QB class of 2018 why dismiss the possibility?

They could always decide to trade away the pick for a king's ransom package of players & picks then use that to build the team around Luck that's also a possibility.

They could also decide to trade away 'damaged goods' Luck, draft the younger, cheaper QB then use the king's ransom of players & draft picks they'd get for Luck to build the team around the new guy.

Anyway ya slice it there's no incentive at all for the Colts to rush back Luck this season. They're in full blown tank mode they want those king's ransom bundle of picks.

The NFL system is broken.
    Last edited by ganggreen76; 09-14-2017 at 10:54 AM.

The frightening thing about Indianapolis getting their hands on one of those top picks in the supposed golden class of QBs in 2018 draft is this.

They're not in a position of need. They have a QB.

What's there to stop them from trading away Andrew Luck or the pick to a team like New England or New Orleans two teams that have had a franchise QB all these years? Brady is 40, Brees is 38.

Or Pittsburgh? There have been Roethlisberger retirement rumors going around.

Or Denver a team that's been in two recent Super Bowls?

Or the Giants? Eli is 36.

The rich stay rich.
    Last edited by ganggreen76; 09-14-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen76 View Post
    For the record I don't consider it a 100% certainty the Colts will trade Andrew Luck. IMO they'd have to be bat**** crazy to do it.

Luck is so good it's incredible how good he is.

Here's the thing if they get a high pick in the supposed golden QB class of 2018 why dismiss the possibility?

They could always decide to trade away the pick for a king's ransom package of players & picks then use that to build the team around Luck that's also a possibility.

They could also decide to trade away 'damaged goods' Luck, draft the younger, cheaper QB then use the king's ransom of players & draft picks they'd get for Luck to build the team around the new guy.

Anyway ya slice it there's no incentive at all for the Colts to rush back Luck this season. They're in full blown tank mode they want those king's ransom bundle of picks.

The NFL system is broken.
    YAM!
    "On to 2017"

Team Owner
    Why did you go and ruin a perfectly good GG only chain? I always get a good chuckle when I see he is having entire conversations with himself.
    J-E-T-S! It's not exactly a passion, it's generally more of a sickness.

FACT: The New York Jets will never win a Super Bowl with Woody Johnson as the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLs StepChild View Post
    Why did you go and ruin a perfectly good GG only chain? I always get a good chuckle when I see he is having entire conversations with himself.
    LOL, you're correct of course. Talking to himself is one of his many issues!
    "On to 2017"

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/adam...drew-luck.html

Adam Schefter and Mike Golic Jr. both seem to mock Mike Greenberg over Andrew Luck story

"Generally, Mike Greenberg's regarded as one of the best hosts we've got around this network, a great ability to drive a show, lead discussions, do all these things. But not necessarily break news in the way that he attempted to yesterday."

Mike Greenberg
    ESPNBy Andrew Bucholtz on 09/14/2017

ESPN’s Mike Greenberg (seen above) created a frenzy Wednesday on Mike and Mike, citing a “general sense” from people around the league of an “ever-widening gap” between Andrew Luck and the Colts and saying “There’s some talk that even with that enormous contract and that enormous talent, we could be seeing, right before our eyes, the end of the Andrew Luck era in Indianapolis.” Luck’s agent denied that to the Indianapolis Star, saying “The speculation/rumor is simply not true” and calling it a “non-story.”

On Thursday, a couple of Greenberg’s colleagues appeared to take further pokes at him. Mike Golic Jr. poked fun at this on his own ESPN Radio show First and Last, including inviting listeners to call or tweet in fake rumors, and on Mike and Mike itself, Greenberg had quite the conversation with ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter. Here’s a Star transcription of that from Dakota Crawford:
    ADVERTISING

Greenberg: Yesterday I was talking about Andrew Luck here on the program and I had heard something…

Schefter: Where did that come from?!

Greenberg: I had heard from people there that he is frustrated — or whatever the word that I used was — with the direction of the franchise. I got an enormous amount of pushback on that. I called his agent, and it’s important to point out his agent steadfastly denied it. So we’ll take him at his word.

…Schefter: I know you came up with the statements you did, he signed a five-year contract last year. He’s not going anywhere. They can’t deal him and don’t want to deal him. So, to me, they’re with each other for better or worse. And there remains a question as to when he’ll be back.

Meanwhile, on ESPN Radio’s First and Last Thursday, Mike Golic Jr. (son of Greenberg’s soon-to-be-ex-co-host Mike Golic) went in on this (along with Producer DanZ), first mocking Greenberg and then encouraging listeners to call in with fake rumors. The full podcast can be found here (by the way, both the file name and photo reference Golic Jr.’s former co-host Robin Lundberg, who was let go in April as part of the ESPN cuts; they might want to fix that), with the Golic-on-Greenberg comments starting at 36:30. Here’s a file with just those comments.

Some choice highlights there (all comments from Golic Jr. unless indicated otherwise):

“Yesterday, something strange happened. We kind of understand generally at ESPN the roles everyone plays here, we’ve got analysts, we’ve got hosts, we’ve got newsbreakers. And, while the world of sports media is kind of drawing tighter and tighter, so some of the lines get blurred on there, our own Dianna Russini for example is someone who is a reporter, goes out, is very dialed-in with a lot of teams, especially the Washington Redskins given her time in the D.C. area, but you’ll also see her hosting NFL Live, doing a lot of different things, wearing different hats. Someone who I never really associated with that role was our own Mike Greenberg.”

“…Generally, Mike Greenberg’s regarded as one of the best hosts we’ve got around this network, a great ability to drive a show, lead discussions, do all these things. But not necessarily break news in the way that he attempted to yesterday. And do it, really, with very little basis of fact underneath it. And so, yesterday, the topic of conversation of Andrew Luck came up, as it has, finally recently, a way that it didn’t most of the preseason as Andrew Luck recovered from shoulder surgery, was ruled out very early in Week One, followed up by being ruled out for Week Two, and so the Tolzien Colts, as they will now be known coming off their drumming by the Redskins, have a lot of question to answer. One of which, apparently, according to Greeny yesterday, was about the relationship between the organization and their star quarterback.”

The latest

Report: ESPN tried to pull Jemele Hill off air Wednesday, other black hosts declined to fill in
    CBS CEO Les Moonves zings ESPN: ‘I’m turning on ESPN a lot and seeing people yelling at each other’
    Former ESPN analyst Jason Sehorn says network asked him to curtail political talk
    ‘College GameDay’ is headed to New York City, and no one seems particularly pleased about it

Golic then plays the clip of Greenberg Wednesday, which concludes with “There’s some talk that even with that enormous contract and that enormous talent, we could be seeing, right before our eyes, the end of the Andrew Luck era in Indianapolis. Guys, I’m assuming you’ve heard this too, as everyone’s talking about this.” Golic then laughs “Who’s everyone?! Who’s been talking about this? I would love to see the source on this. And Greeny wound up going on Dan Dakich’s show in Indianapolis and walking this back because he sort of saw the way that this reverberated, as tends to happen with Mike and Mike, they carry a big megaphone and all this.”

“And it’s funny because Greeny said this thing in a way that presents it as factual, but if you think about the sentiment behind it, it wouldn’t be shocking if Andrew Luck was upset with the Colts for the way that his entire tenure with Indianapolis has gone. Yeah, they gave him that big contract, but they’ve also failed to protect him for most of his time there as far as the offensive line, weapons around him-wise, the running back situation’s never been perfect…in general, the criticism of the Colts has been they haven’t done enough with the quality and caliber of the quarterback they have there. It just gets funny to think about this, because we don’t often associate Andrew Luck and his personality, he’s sort of a goober, he’s a big goofy affable guy, he’s got a deep funny voice, so we don’t often associate Andrew Luck with workplace discord.”

Dan then talks about how Greenberg walked this back a little later in Wednesday’s show, and how he admitted he didn’t distinguish his own speculation enough from what he’d heard, with Dan saying “It just came across as more factual than his own personal speculation,” and Golic saying “Exactly. So the presentation of those things matters and that’s why it got blown up to be what it was. Greeny was essentially starting NFL rumors on Mike and Mike. So we’ve been trying to brainstorm all morning, and maybe you guys can help us, you can tweet at us…”

“If you’ve got any NFL rumors, listen, if you’ve heard something, if you live in Cincinnati and you’ve heard something from a guy at the deli about Marvin Lewis’ job, all sources are good sources in this scenario. If you’ve got a NFL rumor you believe is worth us getting started here at First and Last to try and make waves, cause it made waves for Greeny, and we’re not above self-promotion here at First and Last. …”

They then went on to discuss a whole lot of rumors, both of their own and from callers (a highlight is “Rusty in Green Bay,” who says “My dad’s barber’s sister’s kid just told me that Brett Favre has re-enlisted his grandkids in school up here.”), and it was pretty light-hearted and funny overall. But it’s still interesting to hear Golic Jr. take shots at Greenberg this way, especially considering that the relationship between Golic Sr. and Greenberg has been repeatedly reported as not great (despite Golic denials) with Greenberg getting set to leave Mike and Mike for his own show. (Also, can we just point out that it’s hysterical that a guy who bashed accurate leaks about his own career is now promoting seemingly-inaccurate leaks about someone else’s?) And ESPN-on-ESPN crime is always fun, and this certainly qualifies there.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/14/1...houlder-injury

Andrew Luck does not want to be traded. Maybe he should.
    28 comments
    The Colts can’t seem to do anything right lately, but Luck is still committed to the team ... for some reason.
    by Ryan Van Bibber Sep 14, 2017, 10:45am EDT

Andrew Luck is 28 years old. Over the last three years of his career, he’s played 22 out of a possible 34 games, counting this Sunday’s upcoming game that he’ll miss. A shoulder injury and the delayed decision to have surgery this January to try and fix it are keeping him off the field in the prime of his career. In reality, it seems more like the Colts’ incompetence that’s stunting his career.

On Wednesday night, Luck’s agent (and uncle) Will Wilson addressed rumors that Luck wanted to be traded, saying those were “simply false.” It was weird news to hear, because for a lot of people there wasn’t any context for it.

Nor should there have been. The rumors were pretty low level to begin with, but they made it onto the air via ESPN’s Mike and Mike show.

It’s been two years, almost to the day, that Luck first injured his shoulder. Since then, Luck and the Colts have followed a program alternating between rest and rehab and trying to play through it, before he finally had surgery this year. At that time, it was believed that he wouldn’t miss any time this season.

Things got real weird once the preseason started. Non-committal responses about Luck’s rehab and readiness were interspersed with reports that he was throwing again. In the middle of August, owner Jim Irsay weighed in with the strangest comments yet.

Irsay talked optimistically about Luck’s recovery, talking about how well he was progressing and that he’d be ready to start the season even if he wasn’t ready to play in the season opener against the Rams. Wait? What?

Then, Irsay made a cloudy allusion that Luck’s problems may all be in his head.

“It’s been said before all sports is played on a four-inch field between your ears. … It’s really important that we continue to help Andrew emotionally, mentally, get his confidence and his endorsement, deep down his rubber stamp (in) his heart of hearts because in the end that carries the biggest weight.”

Maybe it was just Irsay rambling, trying to say nothing much and butchering some simple platitudes in the process. Or maybe Luck’s just being cautious here since the decision to play through the injury before has clearly aggravated the situation.

The Colts have been bad for Luck’s career. It took the team five years to fire general manager Ryan Grigson, who failed to build a team around his franchise quarterback. Just how bad the Colts are without Luck was apparent in last Sunday’s 46-9 loss to the Rams. Chris Ballard, the new GM, has to rebuild the team from the ground up.

You can also question the decision to hang onto Chuck Pagano as head coach. He hasn’t had much to work with, but his team looks consistently outmatched from week to week. Luck or not, they didn’t look at all ready to play in Week 1.

Related
    Are the Colts Prepared to Lose Today in Order to Win Tomorrow?
    The Most Surprising Parts of the 2017 NFL Season for the Colts

And then there’s the team’s handling of Luck’s injury. Fans have never had a complete picture of when they can expect their franchise quarterback on the field fully healthy and ready to play.

Throughout all of this Luck’s camp has said nothing. Even the process of negotiating the six-year, $140 million contract he signed in June 2016 was remarkably leak free, something that almost never happens in the NFL. Shooting down this rumor was the first time Luck’s official reps have made any kind of comment on the state of the Colts.

"Andrew would not have signed a five-year extension last year if he was not committed to the Colts. Complete nonstory,” Wison said.

We’re no closer to knowing when Luck will play again, and we’re a long way off from a day when the Colts will be a legitimate contender again, because of the way they’ve handled everything from his injured shoulder to coaching to roster building.

Wilson’s comment should put the rumors to bed. Luck does not want to be traded away from the Colts. But looking at the state of the Colts franchise as someone who wants to see what Luck can become in the prime of his career, maybe he should be clamoring for a change of scenery.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...d-demand-trade

A Mess Grows in Indy: With Luck Concerned, NFL Execs Say He Should Demand Trade
    Mike Freeman
    September 15, 2017

Around the NFL, when teams look at the Indianapolis Colts, they see one thing.

A waste.

A waste of fan support. A waste of potential. A waste of talented receivers. And mostly, a waste of a quarterback in Andrew Luck.

Ask a handful of front office personnel around the league, and they'll tell you what has happened in Indianapolis is one of the greatest wastes of quarterback talents they've ever seen.

This week was an interesting one for the Colts. After getting shellacked in Los Angeles on Sunday, the team announced Luck would sit out Week 2 after he missed the opener with a shoulder injury. Then came a rumor from Mike Greenberg of ESPN's Mike and Mike (h/t Indiana Sports Coverage) that talk is circulating about Luck and his unhappiness with the Colts and that the "end of the Andrew Luck era" may be near.

I can't find anyone who says that's accurate either inside or outside of the Colts, and longtime Indianapolis sports columnist Bob Kravitz, now at WTHR.com, said Will Wilson, Luck's agent, explained his client isn't disgruntled and doesn't want out.

Further, Luck's contract makes him fairly impossible to trade, anyway. The deal carries $87 million in guarantees and a 2017 salary-cap hit of $19.4 million. The team also just signed Luck to a five-year extension in June 2016. He's not going anywhere unless he really wants to.

But it is true that Luck is concerned about his future in Indianapolis. He's concerned—and that's the key word here—about whether the franchise will ever put the proper pieces around him, according to a teammate.

Luck would undoubtedly deny this because he would never say anything publicly to denigrate the franchise, but in talking to people near the situation, I'm certain he feels this way. And let's be honest: This isn't shocking news (or meant to be). If Luck wasn't concerned, he wouldn't be human. The Colts, of late, have been a dumpster fire wrapped inside a garbage scow surrounded by a radioactive pile of dung.

In many ways, the franchise's inability to build a winner is less understandable than that of the Browns or Jaguars. Those teams have spent decades searching for a franchise quarterback; the Colts have one and haven't protected him with the right components.

Andrew Luck was sacked 41 times in 15 games last season.
    Andrew Luck was sacked 41 times in 15 games last season.Marcio Jose Sanchez/Associated Press

Indy has committed one of the greatest sins in professional football. It took a good quarterback for granted, supporting him with a JV offensive line and a front office that still doesn't seem to know what it's doing.

And while it may be false that Luck wants a trade, three NFL front office executives—all from the NFC—believe Luck should demand one. Few people in the NFL believe the Colts, right now, are competent enough to put a winning team around their franchise quarterback. One executive said he fears Luck will become the next Vinny Testaverde.

This isn't an awful projection. Testaverde was talented, but for the most part, played on awful teams, leaving his body beat up and his chances of winning wrecked. While Testaverde ranks 15th in NFL history with 275 career touchdown passes—two ahead of Joe Montana and 15 behind Johnny Unitas—he left the game with a 90-123-1 record as a starter, according to Pro Football Reference.

Another example cited was Archie Manning, who became a punching bag in New Orleans while getting sacked 340 times in 134 games with the Saints, but this Colts franchise, as bad as it is now, isn't quite that bad.

The executives interviewed expect that, barring a quick turnaround, new general manager Chris Ballard will fire head coach Chuck Pagano if the team starts winless in its first three or four games. That wouldn't exactly be shocking, either.

Some NFL executives believe coach Chuck Pagano could be fired if the Colts get off to a 0-4 start this season.
    Some NFL executives believe coach Chuck Pagano could be fired if the Colts get off to a 0-4 start this season.Joe Robbins/Getty Images

The chances the Colts go 0-3 or worse are high, even if Luck plays. They just lost to the Rams, 46-9, and Indianapolis plays Arizona this week—followed by a feisty Browns team and a Seahawks club many expect to reach the Super Bowl.

With no clues as to the status of Luck's surgically repaired shoulder, there's no telling when he'll be back.

Luck might be throwing, but he might not be. No one has seen it. And, yes, there is the possibility he'll be ready to go immediately, but it seems unlikely.

And still, the fact remains that the Colts have Luck, a rare commodity at the most important position in perhaps all of sports. A trade for Luck wouldn't be easy, but it wouldn't be hard to find takers, even with a price that, at minimum, likely would cost two first-round picks and perhaps players, too. The only thing that might stop teams is Luck's injury history, and the fact that the Colts don't have to deal him anytime soon.

Consider the list of quarterbacks SB Nation put together of passers the Texans and Browns have started since 2014. The names are cringe-worthy: Austin Davis, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Hoyer, Case Keenum, Cody Kessler, Ryan Mallett, T.J. Yates, Brandon Weeden and Brock Osweiler, to name just a few.

The Colts have Luck.

And they're blowing it.

Mike Freeman covers the NFL for Bleacher Report. Follow him on Twitter: @mikefreemanNFL.

IF Luck is traded.

Andrew Luck is so good that all the Jets have to do is build him a o-line in 2018. Keep almost everything else as is except Forte he sucks. Same WRs.

The Jets woud challenge for the AFC East Title make a playoff appearance. Luck is good enough that he doesn't need nuclear type weapons to get the job done he'll make the guys he has look as good as possible. Build the rest of the team around him first.

For the record no I don't expect the Jets to trade for Luck. I expect Woody and co. to be completely satisfied with their high pick. Indianapolis might not want to trade him inside the AFC that's another possibility.

The Jets should be interested in Luck he's that good, he's a known, he's well on his way to a HOF career already. A rookie draft pick who knows?

If Luck is traded to a NFC team I'm calling it right now it'll be Washington who trades for him.